Termites...Help!

R

Revvin67

We have termites! What can/should we do on our own if they are already present to avoid the high cost of a pest control company? Yikes.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Don't even try (IMO) to tackle this on your own. This is your home you are talking about. Loosen up on the purse strings and use a professional to assess the amount of damage and the exent of the infestation. Then have them choose a course of action to take care of this issue.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
:yeahthat: Unfortunately, this is NOT something you can skimp on. Get a professional. Kill the bastages. Then if you want to save a little you can do the repairs yourself.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Revvin67 said:
We have termites! What can/should we do on our own if they are already present to avoid the high cost of a pest control company? Yikes.
What makes you think you have termites??

R

Revvin67

Saturday morning we had the swarmers on the inside of the door and windows and on some furniture they indicate presence of a nest.

I am. I will. Therefore I know. If we settle for the mainstream we find our selves part of the overwash.

:coffee:

smilin

BOXER NATION
Bug killas

We use two outfits to kill any bugs we find. Tommy's Pest Control or Angel Pest Co.
Both are really good and pretty average in price.
Do not call Terminix unless you want to pay in the thousands of dollars! :war:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
smilin said:
We use two outfits to kill any bugs we find. Tommy's Pest Control or Angel Pest Co.
Both are really good and pretty average in price.
Do not call Terminix unless you want to pay in the thousands of dollars! :war:

:yeahthat: don't call Orkin either unless you want to commit to a year's worth of treatments. I think they used Tommy when I bought the house because tunnels were in the yard.

I asked this before but what does Termite damage look like? How does one recognize the signs other than flying bugs which I would think were gnats or something.

I did google termites when another thread was open about it and I didn't get much except that they almost look like ants except for a few easily mistaken features.

How many people get an inspection every year, would I be wasting money to continue doing this? I think if Orkin had told me I had termites last summer's inspection I would have let the little critters have the house. I mean what they quoted me for ants (which I got rid of myself) was ridiculous.

OrneryPest

lower life form
Revvin67 said:

I really don't know how you can avoid a professional exterminator. Getting rid of termites requires some pretty tough chemicals that only a professional exterminator would know how to use safely.

We called Action Exterminator and they got rid of our termites, then they come back every year for a follow-up inspection.