Have you ever heard of this?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
My kitty is suffering from "false pregnancy". That is what the vet thinks. She is swollen and when I took her in they did some xrays and said her uterus was so big it obscured everything else. So she is scheduled to be spayed and for exploratory on Friday. He said that might solve the problem or it might be masking a problem he can't see until he removes the uterus. He'd never seen it in a cat but in dog's they become quite ill when this occurs. Kitty is absolutely fine except for this bloat.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
bresamil said:
4.5 years old. She is an indoor only kitty and has no contact with other cats.

You have never had her spayed? God, how did you live with her?

I'll bet it's a disease of the uterus like pyometra (although it's more common in dogs) or something along those lines. False pregnancies don't really make a dog sick. PITA, yeah..

justbeachy

can be a real beach
bresamil said:
4.5 years old. She is an indoor only kitty and has no contact with other cats.
I hope it's not serious. I've never heard of this but I hope your kitty gets better after surgery. :huggy:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
cattitude said:
You have never had her spayed? God, how did you live with her?

I'll bet it's a disease of the uterus like pyometra (although it's more common in dogs) or something along those lines. False pregnancies don't really make a dog sick. PITA, yeah..
He used that word and said the same thing about dogs. But they get very ill with it. That's why he doesn't think that's what she has and he's using the term "false pregnancy". Anyhow he'll be richer tomorrow and I guess we'll know what's going on, but I've been around cats my whole life and have never seen a case like this.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
bresamil said:
He used that word and said the same thing about dogs. But they get very ill with it. That's why he doesn't think that's what she has and he's using the term "false pregnancy". Anyhow he'll be richer tomorrow and I guess we'll know what's going on, but I've been around cats my whole life and have never seen a case like this.

Yeah, pyometra is bad news. That's why you ALWAYS spay a dog, even if she's been bred and had pups and you are no longer breeding her. It's an infection of uterus and the uterus can rupture and it can kill the dog. Cats don't get it as often but they really should be spayed as well...much healthier for them.

She may not have had the infection (if that's what it is) long enough to become sick.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
cattitude said:
She may not have had the infection (if that's what it is) long enough to become sick.
My thought also. Cats mask their illnesses so well that by the time you notice, it may be too late.
We had planned on getting her spayed when we got her - she was between 9 months and 1 year, but the day before the appointment she went into a wall in the basement and somehow ingested insulation - so the money went to getting her through that. Since then we've only done shots and flea/tick protection as her "heats" have only lasted about 3 days each time. I was planning on spaying her relatively soon as we are bringing in another cat and I've noticed 2 spayed females don't act as territorial as those that aren't.

D

dems4me

bresamil said:
My kitty is suffering from "false pregnancy". That is what the vet thinks. She is swollen and when I took her in they did some xrays and said her uterus was so big it obscured everything else. So she is scheduled to be spayed and for exploratory on Friday. He said that might solve the problem or it might be masking a problem he can't see until he removes the uterus. He'd never seen it in a cat but in dog's they become quite ill when this occurs. Kitty is absolutely fine except for this bloat.

My baby Sage went through this several times in her 8 year abscence of not having any babies (she'd never had kittens before). She'd go into heat and then a false pregnancy. I think she just liked getting my hopes up. :lol:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
bresamil said:
I've heard of that before, but it has been "pseudo pregnancy." I don't know much about it, though.

D

dems4me

Sage went through this and even a kind of nesting phase each time. Has yours done any nesting behavioral things?

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
dems4me said:
Sage went through this and even a kind of nesting phase each time. Has yours done any nesting behavioral things?
Yes. For the past three days she has led me to the utility room where she has obviously dragged a batch of cleaning rags into a little mound.

The negative side of her behavior is that for the past week she tries to urinate in front of me on anything available. I'm hoping the surgery stops that problem too.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
bresamil said:
The negative side of her behavior is that for the past week she tries to urinate in front of me on anything available. I'm hoping the surgery stops that problem too.

Cats that aren't spayed are notorious for inappropriate potty habits.

I hope she's okay.

Pete

Repete
TimmyTimmy is getting his catballs removed soon. He only does the nesting thing at 4AM on my pillow.

D

dems4me

bresamil said:
Yes. For the past three days she has led me to the utility room where she has obviously dragged a batch of cleaning rags into a little mound.

I'm going with your vet on this one. Sounds just like Sage when she had her false pregnancies. She's exhibiting the behavior of being a momma and with the bloating it just makes her think even more that she's going to be a momma. :frown: I think maybe you should get her a kitten from a forumite in about 12 weeks and all will be happy. :biggrin:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Pete said:
TimmyTimmy is getting his catballs removed soon. He only does the nesting thing at 4AM on my pillow.
Meow attached me last night. I was laying in bed, minding my own business, and he was laying beside me. I suppose he got the urge to wrestle, 'cause he grabbed my arm and bit me. :mad:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Chasey_Lane said:
Meow attached me last night. I was laying in bed, minding my own business, and he was laying beside me. I suppose he got the urge to wrestle, 'cause he grabbed my arm and bit me. :mad:

:yikes:

Pete

Repete
Chasey_Lane said:
Probably had a "dogmare".