Crabbers BEWARE!!!

Vince

I don't use a crab trap. Use a net. Used to get a bushel in about an hour. :shrug: But the crabbing hasn't been what it used to be and the territory has changed.

Pandora

Vince said:
I don't use a crab trap. Use a net. Used to get a bushel in about an hour. :shrug: But the crabbing hasn't been what it used to be and the territory has changed.

Yeah, but you are one of those guys who could build a shopping mall with a pocketknife and a wad of gum.

:razz:

Toxick

Splat
dems4me said:
Apparently the crab traps that some of us use are illegal in MD... (the kind where the ring floats to the top notifying you of the crab caught in the trap when it closes)... please see link....

I'm trying to wrap my brain around just WHY a trap with a ring-float alert is illegal.

Does the ring detonate?
Is it made out of asbestos or plutonium or arsenic?
Does it impale the crab, leaving it alive while maximizing the pain output?

I dont' get it.

Anyway, I just get a 2 man canoe, and throw chicken backs tied to strings off the side. :yay:

D

dems4me

Toxick said:
I'm trying to wrap my brain around just WHY a trap with a ring-float alert is illegal.

Does the ring detonate?

I dont' get it.

Anyway, I just get a 2 man canoe, and throw chicken backs tied to strings off the side. :yay:

I guess because they figure it takes the skill and art out of crabbing.... these manually close versus the person skillfully catching the crab if that makes sense... the crab can escape on a chicken net and line versus a trap that manually closes...it gives the crab the option to stay or go or something... :lol: personally, I used these but never had much luck with these, but bought tons of them :banghead: Gumbo and I were out on the boat last spring using these and one good wake was all it took to detinate all the spring traps closed and send all the foam rings to the top.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Toxick said:

Does the ring detonate?

I dont' get it.

It isn't the float, it's because the trap has a spring loaded door that automatically closes when a crab takes the bait. I guess DNR wants the crab to have at least a minimal chance of escape. Go figure. :shrug:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:
Equal Opportunity for crabs. That's just fabulous.
No kidding, when do the single claw ones get special consideration because of their obvious disability?

cdsulhoff

My husband and I use a net, flashlight and a string that is tied around some chicken.... We take our boys to do this at night and they love it..... Just a tip when you see a huge Crab make sure you duck tape your child's mouth shut. My kids were like "OMG there is a Huge crab", then proceed to yell at my hubby " Get it dad I want that big crab". Well lets just say when he said that we ended up with a cluster F*** of ppl trying to steal our crab... Sad to say some dope up punk took my baby crab... And I had to hear him cry because of some idiots.... So for now on we give signals and my kids know them..... Hey I want that crab as much as the next person does. I want in on my plate next to my butter....

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
dems4me said:
Apparently the crab traps that some of us use are illegal in MD... (the kind where the ring floats to the top notifying you of the crab caught in the trap when it closes)... please see link....

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/crab/2004recreationalcrabsummary.html
What does it say about us recreational crabbers needing licenses?? hmmm?

Casue my very smart, very good looking studly boyfriend says you don't need one..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BadGirl said:
What does it say about us recreational crabbers needing licenses?? hmmm?

Casue my very smart, very good looking studly boyfriend says you don't need one..
A license is NOT required of an individual who uses only the following gear and takes the following quantity of crabs:
10 or fewer traps and rings
dipnets
handlines
No more than 2 dozen hard crabs
No more than 1 dozen soft crabs or peelers

Never mind, your studly smart boyfriend found the answer..

greyhound

cdsulhoff said:
My husband and I use a net, flashlight and a string that is tied around some chicken.... We take our boys to do this at night and they love it..... Just a tip when you see a huge Crab make sure you duck tape your child's mouth shut. My kids were like "OMG there is a Huge crab", then proceed to yell at my hubby " Get it dad I want that big crab". Well lets just say when he said that we ended up with a cluster F*** of ppl trying to steal our crab... Sad to say some dope up punk took my baby crab... And I had to hear him cry because of some idiots.... So for now on we give signals and my kids know them..... Hey I want that crab as much as the next person does. I want in on my plate next to my butter....
Can you crab at night? I thought there was a sunrise to sunset rule.

cdsulhoff

greyhound said:
Can you crab at night? I thought there was a sunrise to sunset rule.

Apparently not. If you go the the pier that is under the bridge in Solomons there is always a nice crowd of ppl... Hey maybe we all are breaking the rules. But how can I catch crabs with a flashlight in the daytime.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I find the whole idea of hunting/fishing regulations absurd, in a Stalinist sort of way. Who put the State in charge of the animals???

Mikeinsmd

vraiblonde said:
I find the whole idea of hunting/fishing regulations absurd, in a Stalinist sort of way. Who put the State in charge of the animals???
Without the regulations, we'd have no seafood. Remember when they almost wiped out rockfish?