Grubs, Moles and burrowing critters

Nupe2

What is the best way to get rid of grubs and their burrowing buddies? I know I can get some answers on the web but I want to hear some real solutions that have worked here in SOMD. This seems to have been a banner year for grubs and moles/voles and my yard is a lumpy mess. Any help out there?

Pete

Repete
Nupe2 said:
What is the best way to get rid of grubs and their burrowing buddies? I know I can get some answers on the web but I want to hear some real solutions that have worked here in SOMD. This seems to have been a banner year for grubs and moles/voles and my yard is a lumpy mess. Any help out there?
I tried grubex, but it only kills the grubs with the idea the moles will get hungry and leave. It also takes up to 2 weeks to work. thats when I went and got me a really nice 6 prong mole killing trap. Find the tunnel that connects foraging areas, tamp it down, set the sinister machine and wait.

SHHLIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGG!

Head shot!

Bwahahahahahahaha :evil:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pete said:
I tried grubex, but it only kills the grubs with the idea the moles will get hungry and leave. It also takes up to 2 weeks to work. thats when I went and got me a really nice 6 prong mole killing trap. Find the tunnel that connects foraging areas, tamp it down, set the sinister machine and wait.

SHHLIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGG!

Head shot!

Bwahahahahahahaha :evil:
The mole traps are the only thing that works.......It's such a pleasure to see those little bodies lined up on the deck. Hubby took pictures of the bodies last year, laying on the deck. He was so proud.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
My Emma fancies herself a mole hunter. She hasn't caught one to date, probably because I won't release her long enough to let her. She has, however blown up their tunnels in efforts to exploit them and nearly ripped my arm out of its origin to return to her digs when I try to do an Emmaectomy. My fear is that someone will put something down that will be harmful to her and in hot pursuit, find herself sick instead of her wanted trophy.

She has found a dead field mouse under a sheet of ice in the middle of a snow covered softball field... She could kick a mole's ass for sure! I just wish I could find a way to harness it - we could sure use it!

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Milky Spore :yay: Works using the same premise as Grubex but is effective over a period of 2-3 yrs I believe. Available at a nursery near you.
grfrequencies3.com
pestproducts.com

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Bubbalious(sp) Bubble Gum.. just take it out of the wrapper, put it down the in the holes all over the place, and wait.... the sweet smell/taste makes all of them eat it, and then it clogs them up.... and they go bubyes...

Cheapest way Ive seen actually work... :yay:

Nupe2

Thanks everybody (even Pete! :yikes:)! I think I'll head to Southern States on Saturday (hope they sell the gum too). Keep those cards and letters coming! :yay:

Nupe2

kom526 said:
Milky Spore :yay: Works using the same premise as Grubex but is effective over a period of 2-3 yrs I believe. Available at a nursery near you.
grfrequencies3.com
pestproducts.com

Milky Spore takes a while to spread (1+ years?) but is supposed to last 15 to 20 years after that. Thanks for the suggestion...it looks like Southern States is where I'm headed.

Nupe2 said:
Thanks everybody (even Pete! :yikes:)! I think I'll head to Southern States on Saturday (hope they sell the gum too). Keep those cards and letters coming! :yay:
Milky Spore is in the last aisle. Right side of aisle as soon as you enter it. Bottom shelf for the bags, 1 up for the smaller cans. I need to get up there and get some too.

Fred Hoeck

Last year, I tried a spray I bought from the Amish nursery in Loveville, a hose end sprayer. This is some concoction of castol oil that the moles don't like. Saw similar product at Lowe's this year. Seemed to work, but over winter, they came back. Also, using mole poison in holes.
Found they dug under driveway, maybe heading to neighbor's land. (I can hope).
But, how do you know which is main tunnel to set trap? Have so many tunnels, all look alike.
Will try milky spore, but expensive, will stop Japanese Beetles (or Hondas, as I call them).

Pete

Repete
Nupe2 said:
Don't be a wuss [elmerfud voice] Kiw da mooo, kiw da mooo[/elmerfudvoice]

DEATH TO VERMIN!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Nupe, I can lend you my Boxers. Best mole catching team in the tri-county area. :yay: Not only that, they provide hours of entertainment as the play frisbee with the little critters. :lol:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Nupe2 said:
Milky Spore takes a while to spread (1+ years?) but is supposed to last 15 to 20 years after that. Thanks for the suggestion...it looks like Southern States is where I'm headed.
I looked up the duration of the effectiveness after I posted but didn't bother to edit. The 2 links I posted are places where you can find solar powered mole repellent devices.

Fred Hoeck said:
Will try milky spore, but expensive, will stop Japanese Beetles (or Hondas, as I call them).
That's whjy I am going to use it. The damn Jap Beetles are so bad at my house that they have completely killed my 2 cherry trees and just about killed one of my plum trees.:war:

Nupe2

Pete said:
Don't be a wuss [elmerfud voice] Kiw da mooo, kiw da mooo[/elmerfudvoice]

DEATH TO VERMIN!

And on their deathbeds they will have total consciousness, so they got that goin' for em, which is nice. :yay:

Nupe2

huntr1 said:
That's whjy I am going to use it. The damn Jap Beetles are so bad at my house that they have completely killed my 2 cherry trees and just about killed one of my plum trees.:war:

Let's all gather at Southern States on Saturday morning with our dogs, Milky Spore, pungi stakes, chewing gum and righteous indignation to declare war on all creepy, crawly, root eating Varmint Bastages!

We can go from yard to yard wreaking havoc! We'll rape (o.k., maybe not rape) we can pillage, we can make general nuisances of ourselves as we toss their rotting carcasses on deck after deck as we declare our right to Liebensraum! (or is that Liebensgrass?)

DEATH TO THE VARMINTS!! Who's with me?!! :war:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
huntr1 said:
Japanese Beetle traps that Lowes sell work miracles.. saved my rose bushes last year, and had to "reload three or four times, two different traps..

Probably killed upwards of 3 or 4 THOUSAND beettles, which translates to probably 300 or 400 THOUSAND less this year.

We used to sit outside and watch the trap suck them in... But don't forget to change out the traps.. the smell of 3000 decaying beetle carcasses does NOT smell pleasant.