Tulip Trees???

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Thin tree with big blooms that look similar (at least from afar) to a magnolia bloom but are purple??? A girl I work with says she thinks they are called tulip trees. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Have them? Are they fairly easy?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
pixiegirl said:
Thin tree with big blooms that look similar (at least from afar) to a magnolia bloom but are purple??? A girl I work with says she thinks they are called tulip trees. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Have them? Are they fairly easy?
Like the tress going into the BJs entrance off of Rt 4?? That's what BG told me they were..

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Everything I can find on the net says that the bloom of a tulip tree is yellow. These are definately purple/lavendar. I've seen a couple of them in my neighborhood and down here at St. Inigoes.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Hmmmm, I'm wondering if it's not indeed a magnolia tree.

linkage

That one's pink but from the distance I've seen the trees they look just like magnolias. Shows how much I know about plants/trees; I never knew there were any other color magnolia then white.

pixiegirl said:
Hmmmm, I'm wondering if it's not indeed a magnolia tree.

linkage

That one's pink but from the distance I've seen the trees they look just like magnolias. Shows how much I know about plants/trees; I never knew there were any other color magnolia then white.
"Common names for the Saucer Magnolia include Tulip tree and Japanese magnolia."

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
CableChick said:
"Common names for the Saucer Magnolia include Tulip tree and Japanese magnolia."

:lmao: I just looked at the picture... But in my own defense when I did a web search on tulip tree they all had yellow flowers.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
pixiegirl said:
:lmao: I just looked at the picture... But in my own defense when I did a web search on tulip tree they all had yellow flowers.
Hey, Pix, the search that you performed that showed a tree with yellow flowers is actually a Tulip Poplar tree, which is a much different tree than the Tulip Tree that you're seeing planted in your neighborhood and down at Webster.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
BadGirl said:
Hey, Pix, the search that you performed that showed a tree with yellow flowers is actually a Tulip Poplar tree, which is a much different tree than the Tulip Tree that you're seeing planted in your neighborhood and down at Webster.

:yeahthat: And everyone knows you used to make "corn soup" from the middle of the bloom. :biggrin:

CMC122

Go Braves!
BadGirl said:
That's it the Tulip Poplar!

BOHDEN

they are called saucer magnolia's I have one it is beautiful.
sometimes it doesnt get a chance to bloom fully due to frost. last year was the only year since i have had it that it got to fully bloom.

greyhound

Tulip Poplars are all around my house. They have a yellow, white flower and drip this awful sap on everything. My deck gets covered in this sticky mess. They also have a tendancy to fall in very heavy winds (they grow to be tall) Can cause alot of damage.