Crohn's Disease

ShaunaNJoe

I'm hungry....
My friend was just diagnosed with this she is 23 and I read about it but I was wondering if anyone had it or knew anyone with it. How did it effect them and how long?

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
ShaunaNJoe said:
My friend was just diagnosed with this she is 23 and I read about it but I was wondering if anyone had it or knew anyone with it. How did it effect them and how long?

My aunt died from it. Of course, she was well into her 50s when they found it, and it was advanced stages - and it was around 8 years ago. Medicine is better now than it was.

I know that today's drugs are pretty effective, and Crohns can go into long term (permanent) remission.

Then there are promising things like this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15302343&dopt=Citation

I wouldn't be the one to say "Don't worry" - but it is most likely not the end of the world.

Here's hoping she got to it in time to live a long normal life.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My daughter has/had Crohn's. She had been ill for several years and none of the doctors up here seemed to know what what wrong. They told us everything from ulcers to anorexia.

We found out because she had an emergency appendectomy when she was visiting my mother in Nebraska :faint:. While they were in there, they saw that her intestines were hardened. She was put on Prednisone (a steroid) and Pentasa (an anti-inflammatory) and 6 months later she had a double-scope that came up completely clean and hasn't had a problem since.

MMDad

Lem Putt
ShaunaNJoe said:
A friend suffered with it for years until some of the modern treatments came along. She's been symptom free for 5 years now. She said the treatment was terrible, but was well worth it in the long run.