Choking the motorcycle

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
My little Honda Rebel used to start just fine. Now I have to put the choke on to start it and have to keep it on while riding, even when it warms up. And, also, it is like "thrusting" when I first go out and after about a half mile, it starts running okay. What does this mean? It will not run without the choke on. Has 1500 miles on it.

Sounds like a lawnmower with a gummed up carb. Try putting some carb/fuel injector cleaner thru it.

Vince

Take it to the Honda folks. Something is wrong. You shouldn't have to leave the choke on once it's warmed up.

BS Gal said:
My little Honda Rebel used to start just fine. Now I have to put the choke on to start it and have to keep it on while riding, even when it warms up. And, also, it is like "thrusting" when I first go out and after about a half mile, it starts running okay. What does this mean? It will not run without the choke on. Has 1500 miles on it.

I was thinking maybe an air leak between the carb and intake? And the warranty also would depend on the date of purchase, no?

dustin

UAIOE
DIY....i'd check to make sure the air filter wasnt dirty and the rubber boot and clamps between the carb and the head for leaks (spray starter fluid around the boot with the engine running and if RPMs change you have a leak, adjust clamps/boot if necessary).

or you can take it to the dealer...

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Vince said:
Take it to the Honda folks. Something is wrong. You shouldn't have to leave the choke on once it's warmed up.
Where are the Honda folks?????

Dukesdad

I run some stuff through mine after not riding for a while called seafoam . It's a fuel additive that cuts gum and varnish thta can build up. I buy it at the parts place by Sheetz on 235 in California. Clears up the type of issues you are describing as long as they are not mechanical.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
duke'sdad said:
I run some stuff through mine after not riding for a while called seafoam . It's a fuel additive that cuts gum and varnish thta can build up. I buy it at the parts place by Sheetz on 235 in California. Clears up the type of issues you are describing as long as they are not mechanical.
We did the additive thing on Friday. Didn't help. I'll try the seafoam stuff. It's a 2002 without many miles, so hasn't been ridden much. I've only put about 50 miles on it in the last month or so. Short rides. Today I tried turning in a tight circle. The neighbors need to quit leaving the tail ends of their trucks out in the road.........The other neighbor needs to sweep his gravel out of the road before he finds it in his yard. Went through it Friday, but not going straight, and the bike started to wiggle. Now I know I have to be going through it straight, problem is that it is on a sharp turn where I need to stay close to the edge, hence, go through his gravel leaking off the driveway at an angle.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
aps45819 said:
You'll need to run at LEAST a tank of gas thru it for the cleaner to work.
SeaFoam kicks butt :yay:
At this rate, that will take me at least 3 months, unless I pass the course next weekend and then it will take me a few days.....

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
BadGirl said:
Theres a place in Waldorf and one on the way to Bowie...
That means I have to ride in traffic. And actually get up to speed quickly. Not happening on this dog.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
BadGirl said:
Theres a place in Waldorf and one on the way to Bowie...
Atlantic Cycle sucks the big one. I've never had a good experience with their service department. Honda of Crofton is the place I went Friday and got the extended warrantry on my Honda cancelled.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
aps45819 said:
Atlantic Cycle sucks the big one. I've never had a good experience with their service department. Honda of Crofton is the place I went Friday and got the extended warrantry on my Honda cancelled.
Gotcha. Guess I could trailer it up there. I am not good enough to go through traffic. Plus, I can't get it up to speed very quickly to be on a real road. Found out today that the reason behind wearing boots vs. tennis shoes is that you can shift quicker in boots. I'm getting good at the back brake though and practiced figure 8 turns today. I hope I pass the class.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
BS Gal said:
Found out today that the reason behind wearing boots vs. tennis shoes is that you can shift quicker in boots.
:nono: Protection for you ankles.
If you went sliding down the road, with you ankle in contact with the road, how long do you think it would take before you were grinding away bone.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
If you went sliding down the road, with you ankle in contact with the road, how long do you think it would take before you were grinding away bone.
and your tennis shoe is going to come off as soon as it impacts the asphalt, leaving your foot, toes ankle etc unprotected..

Tracey was willing to buy me a pair of HD boots today, but the Open House was only YESTERDAY.. thought they would have had a grand opening week-end. not day!

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
aps45819 said:
Gotcha. I had never worn my tennis shoes before on the bike, but jumped on it for a second with them on. Also hurts the top of your foot/toes when you shift gears. I do own a few good pairs of boots for riding.

Vince

BS Gal said:
Gotcha. I had never worn my tennis shoes before on the bike, but jumped on it for a second with them on. Also hurts the top of your foot/toes when you shift gears. I do own a few good pairs of boots for riding.
I need a new pair of boots, but there's no place around here to buy them. Hate to buy shoes over the net.