If I need a power supply

StanleyRugg

If a fella happened to have "found" a CO2 laser and was trying to invent a laser can opener, where might he find a adjustable power supply big enuff to fire the laser?

If anyone from the goverment is readin this I aint sayin I have one of these CO2 lasers, I was just wonderin.

If someone did have a power supply I .......uh I mean the person who needed it would like it to be adjustable. Because IF a fella had a CO2 laser and it was powered too much it would cook whatever is in the can while It was cutting the top off and that aint good.

While I am at it, where might a fella find a material to put behind the can bein lasered so the laser beam don't shoot clean through and set stuff on fire across the yard?

Again this aint real, I was just wonderin.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
I might be able to help, what are your requirements (voltage, current)?

Do you need anything special? Constant current, dual voltages, etc...

Lugnut said:
I might be able to help, what are your requirements (voltage, current)?

Do you need anything special? Constant current, dual voltages, etc...
I think you should PM him. He stays busy and post alot. He will probably see the PM though.

Mikeinsmd

Stanley, I know I don't have to say this but I'm gona anyway. You be careful with that thing!!

A neon sign xfmr will work but at over 12kV, they'll knock you on yer ass. :nono:

bcp

In My Opinion
StanleyRugg said:
If a fella happened to have "found" a CO2 laser and was trying to invent a laser can opener, where might he find a adjustable power supply big enuff to fire the laser?
What is a laser can and why not just buy stuff in the regular cans?

If anyone from the goverment is readin this I aint sayin I have one of these CO2 lasers, I was just wonderin.

If someone did have a power supply I .......uh I mean the person who needed it would like it to be adjustable. Because IF a fella had a CO2 laser and it was powered too much it would cook whatever is in the can while It was cutting the top off and that aint good.
your gonna cook it anyway, wouldnt this save a step and make this item even more value packed? Besides, with the feds knocking on your door you might want to think about eating quickly.

While I am at it, where might a fella find a material to put behind the can bein lasered so the laser beam don't shoot clean through and set stuff on fire across the yard?
I wonder if a mirror would work:killingme
at any rate, get a good supply of materials and have your mother in law hold them for you during testing of the product until you find something that will stop the beam safely.

StanleyRugg

Mikeinsmd said:
Stanley, I know I don't have to say this but I'm gona anyway. You be careful with that thing!!

A neon sign xfmr will work but at over 12kV, they'll knock you on yer ass. :nono:
Thank ya mister, but I am a scientist and I know what I am doin and since the rocket accident I always act safe.

I figgered out the neon light transformer from that web site. I borrowed the transformer from Momma Ruggs neon Elvis painting. She got it years ago in Memphis when she was on a pilgrimage to Graceland. Momma thinks Elvis was the greatest singer ever. She said that pelvis grinding thing he did was just a temporary infestation by Satan but Elvis was true of heart and he got passed it cause he used to sing gospel music. She even has all 33 of Elvis's movies on VCR tape and we have Elvis movie night once a month. We know all the words and sing along to the movies. I am particularly fond of "Blue Hawaii". did you know that the lady in Murder she wrote was in Blue Hawaii with Elvis? Momma Rugg loves Murder She Wrote and said that Landsberry woman is not a evil slut like that Juliet Prowse woman was who was in G.I.Blues with Elvis.

Anywoo, I took the transformer out and I have been experimentin with it in my inventin hut. So's I wouldnt burn a hole in the wall I drilled a hole and shoot the laser out the hole, then bein the safety minded scientist I am I checked and sure enough that hole had the laser pointing right at the propane tank and I figgered that werent good either so I had to move it. I was thinkin maybe I should pound a post in the ground and hang a mirror on it to reflect the laser beam stright up in the air so it wouldn't burn nothin but I was afraid cause what if a airplane flew right over my inventin hut? It would cut the wing right off and make it crash. Ever since the FAA fella's came here last time I take great care not to make them mad again.

I got lots of ideas for my laser and I am sure I will invent something really good. I did figgur out to be careful with the neon light power supply. When I put the wires together I didn't cover the bare wire with the electrical tape very good and I accidently hit it with my hand. Wooooo Weeeee It was quite a jolt but I didn't wet my pants like last time. Momma said the burn mark aint even as bad as last time.

StanleyRugg

bcp said:
What is a laser can and why not just buy stuff in the regular cans?

your gonna cook it anyway, wouldnt this save a step and make this item even more value packed? Besides, with the feds knocking on your door you might want to think about eating quickly.

I wonder if a mirror would work:killingme
at any rate, get a good supply of materials and have your mother in law hold them for you during testing of the product until you find something that will stop the beam safely.
there aint no laser cans but Campbells soup makes special cans designed by the government to last through a nuclear explosion. The government don't want people to know but I discovered it years ago. If you put one of those cans in a microwave it will shoot out rays that will scramble your brain if you are watchin through that window in the door.

Thats a dad gum good idea about openin the can and cookin it at the same time! A course it wouldn't work on stuff you gotta mix up like mushroom soup and stuff but it would be dandy for green beans and pork and beans. If I can work it right I will be sure to give you credit for your idea and maybe some royalties too. People might call me names some times but nobody can say Stanly Rugg is dishonest or a cheat.

I thought about the mirror but for safety reasons and a run in with the FAA a couple years ago I had to scrap that idea.

I aint got no mother in law. I am not married. I courted a few women, one named Selma from Ridge wouldn't shave her legs or arm pits and I thought it was unsightly especially when she waved goodbye. I courted Gert but she got real mad when I goofed up and mentioned her mustache.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
StanleyRugg said:
I courted Gert but she got real mad when I goofed up and mentioned her mustache.
:shrug: some womens are touchy about that stuff. You never can tell what will set them off.

ylexot

Super Genius
You could always send the laser through a convex lens to diffuse the laser (which will decrease the energy per unit area). Shoot the diffused laser into a box full of solar cells and you can collect the energy and use it for something else (like lightin your inventin hut). :yay:

If the can opener doesn't work out for some reason could you maybe try to invent a squirrel proof bird feeder with that thing?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Mr. Rugg, Sir, I must tell you how truly amazed I am with your cutting-edge thinking! Your laser ideas are nothing short of GENIUS. I would like to assist you with experimenting with new ways to use your laser.

FOR INSTANCE, that thing would work just as quickly as a pair of bolt cutters on a chain link fence. I know just the fence to try it on and I'd be glad to give you and your laser a lift over there.

Once we get through the fence, there's a brick wall that I bet would go away in a skinny minute if we tune your laser just right. I'll be glad to help you with THAT experiment.

Inside the brick wall is a big thick piece of steel. Now, nothing shows a powerful laser at its best like a thick piece of steel. Anyway, we cut through that, too, see?

Now, the Government knows all about your brilliant mind and the great things you invent - they even told the FAA to back off a little. THEY WANT TO GIVE YOU A RESEARCH GRANT. But you have to prove that it's really you, see. That's where all this cutting with the laser comes in.

They're gonna award you your grant in cash money, gold bars, and bearer bonds! They're gonna put it all in there behind that steel wall. Once you and I cut through that steel wall, we can take all that stuff the Government put in there. I'll only keep about half of it for myself - the rest is YOURS!

Yes siree, Mr. Rugg, this is YOUR LUCKY DAY.

And, you don't have to thank me for helping - as I said, I know you are just BRILLIANT and I am glad to be the fellow to help you out!

StanleyRugg

Railroad said:
Mr. Rugg, Sir, I must tell you how truly amazed I am with your cutting-edge thinking! Your laser ideas are nothing short of GENIUS. I would like to assist you with experimenting with new ways to use your laser.

FOR INSTANCE, that thing would work just as quickly as a pair of bolt cutters on a chain link fence. I know just the fence to try it on and I'd be glad to give you and your laser a lift over there.

Once we get through the fence, there's a brick wall that I bet would go away in a skinny minute if we tune your laser just right. I'll be glad to help you with THAT experiment.

Inside the brick wall is a big thick piece of steel. Now, nothing shows a powerful laser at its best like a thick piece of steel. Anyway, we cut through that, too, see?

Now, the Government knows all about your brilliant mind and the great things you invent - they even told the FAA to back off a little. THEY WANT TO GIVE YOU A RESEARCH GRANT. But you have to prove that it's really you, see. That's where all this cutting with the laser comes in.

They're gonna award you your grant in cash money, gold bars, and bearer bonds! They're gonna put it all in there behind that steel wall. Once you and I cut through that steel wall, we can take all that stuff the Government put in there. I'll only keep about half of it for myself - the rest is YOURS!

Yes siree, Mr. Rugg, this is YOUR LUCKY DAY.

And, you don't have to thank me for helping - as I said, I know you are just BRILLIANT and I am glad to be the fellow to help you out!
Mister I am thinkin that you are proposin somethin illegal. Momma Rugg takes great pride that no Rugg has been afoul of the law in over 300 years.

No matter anyway I have been experimentin with that laser for a week and it wont cut bricks. They get real hot and some even crack but it wont cut them. It will burn through a tire lickety split, which is why Momma took the laser away from me for a while.

I was workin on my laser can opener/cooker invention and my pet racoon was in the inventin hut eatin a leftover bloney sandwich and some hoop cheese. Orvil, thats my pet racoons name cause I named him after Orvil Wright, the fella that invented the airplane. Wilber was Orvil's brother and he invented the airplane too but I think Orvil was the real brains. I think the airplane was the second best invention in the world next to spam. I dont know who invented spam so I settled on the airplane. I like spam, its good just about any how you want to eat it. I like regular spam, not that smoked stuff. It aint really smoked they just put luiquid smoke sauce in the meat. I sure don't know why they had to go and mess with a good thing.

Anywoo I was experimentin with my laser like I said and Orvil got to messin around and bumped it and it shot right out the door, across the yard reflected off the storm window Rodd broke with the tater cannon and burnt a hole in the brand new tire Momma just got on the Cordova. It didn't blow up or nothin it sizzled for a second and then it made a loud psssssssshhhhewwwwwww noise just before it caught fire and air shot out. The tire caught fire and before I could put it out it smoked up a storm. Well Momma was real mad about the tire but when she went to get the clothes off the line later on and they smelt like burn rubber she got REAL mad and came in the inventin hut and took my laser away for a while. The power supply I got to run the laser was out of a neon beer sign I found at the dump. Momma said cause it was out of a sign that advertised evil spirits that it was the tool of Satan and somethin bad was bound to happen

So Orvil and I had to do the wash all over again but Orvil got away and hid under the trailer and I had to finish it all myself. I hope I get the laser back before fourth of july cause I got big plans.

Last edited:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Keep practicing. Throw some of that good smelling stuff laundry detergent in the wash. The one that the girls have been yakking about in some other thread.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
StanleyRugg said:
Mister I am thinkin that you are proposin somethin illegal. Momma Rugg takes great pride that no Rugg has been afoul of the law in over 300 years.

No matter anyway I have been experimentin with that laser for a week and it wont cut bricks. They get real hot and some even crack but it wont cut them. It will burn through a tire lickety split, which is why Momma took the laser away from me for a while.

I was workin on my laser can opener/cooker invention and my pet racoon was in the inventin hut eatin a leftover bloney sandwich and some hoop cheese. Orvil, thats my pet racoons name cause I named him after Orvil Wright, the fella that invented the airplane. Wilber was Orvil's brother and he invented the airplane too but I think Orvil was the real brains. I think the airplane was the second best invention in the world next to spam. I dont know who invented spam so I settled on the airplane. I like spam, its good just about any how you want to eat it. I like regular spam, not that smoked stuff. It aint really smoked they just put luiquid smoke sauce in the meat. I sure don't know why they had to go and mess with a good thing.

Anywoo I was experimentin with my laser like I said and Orvil got to messin around and bumped it and it shot right out the door, across the yard reflected off the storm window Rodd broke with the tater cannon and burnt a hole in the brand new tire Momma just got on the Cordova. It didn't blow up or nothin it sizzled for a second and then it made a loud psssssssshhhhewwwwwww noise just before it caught fire and air shot out. The tire caught fire and before I could put it out it smoked up a storm. Well Momma was real mad about the tire but when she went to get the clothes off the line later on and they smelt like burn rubber she got REAL mad and came in the inventin hut and took my laser away for a while. The power supply I got to run the laser was out of a neon beer sign I found at the dump. Momma said cause it was out of a sign that advertised evil spirits that it was the tool of Satan and somethin bad was bound to happen

So Orvil and I had to do the wash all over again but Orvil got away and hid under the trailer and I had to finish it all myself. I hope I get the laser back before fourth of july cause I got big plans.

:killingme :lmao: GOOD ANSWER! :notworthy: :lmao: :killingme

Foxhound

Finishing last
Mr.Rugg,

Did you tell your momma or us a lie? First you said that power supply was out of her Elvis sign. Now you say it's out of a beer sign. You know momma is gunna get mad when she finds out about her Elvis sign.

I'm a big Elvis fan too! I didn't know Mr. Costello made any movies though! Please be careful with that laser when your momma gives it back. I love reading your posts and it would be a shame to lose you.