South Dakota

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Did you all know that it is illegal to take your hands off the handlebars on your bike in So. Dakota, even if it is to wave at someone? Learned that in the bike class I am in.

BS Gal said:
Did you all know that it is illegal to take your hands off the handlebars on your bike in So. Dakota, even if it is to wave at someone? Learned that in the bike class I am in.
I was trying to confirm that, but couldn't find anything about it. I wonder if this is a big problem in SDak? :lmao:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
aps45819 said:
Both at the same time oe one at a time?
The instructor said one, even to wave. She said nobody waves there cause they will get ticketed. I would figure you would need to scratch your nose or adjust something once in a while.

BS Gal said:
Really?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
desertrat said:
Okay, no. The instrutor was misinformed. I e-mailed the President of some ABATE chapter there and he advised as follows:

"Thank you for your inquiry. I am not sure where your instructor gets his/her information, but he/she clearly needs to find a new source for info on the State of South Dakota.

The fact is, we wave at one another all the time, and I personally not only wave at other motorcyclists, but I have been also known to ride considerable distances sitting back in the saddle and holding onto the bars with only one hand just because I can. "Look Mom...one hand". =o)"

Thank God I don't have that worry to keep me up nights anymore........

BS Gal said:
Okay, no. The instrutor was misinformed. I e-mailed the President of some ABATE chapter there and he advised as follows:

"Thank you for your inquiry. I am not sure where your instructor gets his/her information, but he/she clearly needs to find a new source for info on the State of South Dakota.

The fact is, we wave at one another all the time, and I personally not only wave at other motorcyclists, but I have been also known to ride considerable distances sitting back in the saddle and holding onto the bars with only one hand just because I can. "Look Mom...one hand". =o)"

Thank God I don't have that worry to keep me up nights anymore........
Did he say anything about riding with one foot? :howdy:

ylexot

Super Genius
desertrat said:
I did find out its illegal to carry a package on your bike. It didn't specify how it was carried.
BZZZZT Wrong answer! You can carry a package, but it cannot prevent you from grabbing the handle bars with both hands.

(I got a perfect score on the multiple-choice test last night :nerd: )

ylexot said:
BZZZZT Wrong answer! You can carry a package, but it cannot prevent you from grabbing the handle bars with both hands.

(I got a perfect score on the multiple-choice test last night :nerd: )
Good for you ace! You took the test in South Dakota did ya? :lmao:

ylexot said:
Sure, why not...and don't bother looking up the South Dakota laws...I deleted them :lmao:
Where are you taking your class? If it's LA Plata and you have a little biity female instructor ask her about the wave thing in S.Dak. :howdy:

ylexot

Super Genius
desertrat said:
Where are you taking your class? If it's LA Plata and you have a little biity female instructor ask her about the wave thing in S.Dak. :howdy:
I'm taking it in LaPlata, but the instructor is a big guy...he's an ex-bike cop. Nice guy. :yay:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
ylexot said:
I'm taking it in LaPlata, but the instructor is a big guy...he's an ex-bike cop. Nice guy. :yay:
You'll have two instructors on the course. The wee bitty girl with the big Harley was my instructor in class and on the course - her name is Mo. She is really nice. The other guy we had I called mean Peter. You may have one of them as your riding coach on the course. Don't forget to COMPLETELY turn your head when you do the figure 8. Good luck!

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
desertrat said:
"Don't forget to COMPLETELY turn your head"

That made me think of "The Exorcist".
That's what it felt like. It's not natural, I'm tellin ya......