Who have you used?

Who to put it in?

What should I pay for swap?

Engine prices I found
Mid-AtlanticEngines $2,399
Jasper $3,342
Others from $2,200 to $4000

5.4 1998 Ford Expy

Jasper is a national company w/ good warranty. How about the others, or does the warranty even matter to you?

How about a "recycled" motor (junkyard)?

How about a factory crate motor?

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Call the dealer and ask what they want for a 6006 assembly. Those engines are sweet! They come with the valve covers and oil pan already on,full of oil, and all hardware needed to make the swap comes in a bag with the engine.

Labor? Ouch! Anywhere from 16-20 hours with a standard local labor rate of anywhere from 68-90 dollars.:yikes:

John Z

if you will
I had a Jasper engine put in my 1991 Beretta GTZ back in 2001 (I think). Had a small shop in Waldorf install it. Had something like a 3 year 75,000 mile warranty. I was pretty happy with it. Paid something like $3500 for the engine and labor together, including new hoses, belts, and water pump. I know this is apples and oranges, since my engine was only a 2.3L 4-cylinder.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
If your primary concern is cost I'd suggest Jasper or another NATIONAL engine rebuilder. They're more likely to honor the warranty. If cost is less of a factor and you want piece of mind I would suggest a crate engine directly from the manufacturer.

sonicbluegt

just curious, why are you looking for a complete rebuilt motor? have you considered other options such as just replacing the short block or heads? what's wrong with what you got?

Ponytail

I would get a rebuilt block and head assembly and swap everything else over. I've personally used a Recon Remanufactured engine and couldn't be happier.

http://www.reconengines.com/products.html

You can't buy them direct. BUT, as I later found out, Pep Boys and other major parts houses use Recon as suppliers of their rebuilt motors. It doesn't get much easier than going to a major parts house. Nationwide support if needed.

I went through a friend of mine that has a dealer license and basically bought it direct.

Here's a list of local dealers:

http://www.reconengines.com/locations.aspx?lat=38.375290&long=-76.337326

And a comparison chart reman/rebuilt/used...
http://www.reconengines.com/enginecomp.html

Last edited:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Danzig said:
Who would you use?

Who have you used?

Who to put it in?

What should I pay for swap?

Engine prices I found
Mid-AtlanticEngines $2,399
Jasper $3,342
Others from $2,200 to $4000

5.4 1998 Ford Expy

I bought mine from the junkyard with only 30, 000 miles on it for around $700.00 had b/f install it so no cost there, but it's still in the car running strong as ever with about 90, 000 miles on engine now...

Ponytail

As far as who to put it in, have an installation party. We've had paint parties, deck building parties, itsbob is having a BMW show-me/fix-it bbq this weekend...have an installation party. I'm sure there's enough know-how and tools available on these forums to get it done in a weekend.