Opinion on a bike shop

cbspec

Fat Hen
Hi. I wanted to take my bike in and have it get a good 'looking over' at Jaag's before I ride the heck out of it. I went by there last weekend and I like the shop but I thought I would get some opinions on their work before I take the bike in. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Ponytail

Nice guy, good work but is normally swamped and doesn't always get the bikes out when promised.

There's a couple of other local bike shops that could do it just as good.

Rose could offer those names as well. :whistle:

Curious, what kind of bike do you have?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
cbspec said:
Hi. I wanted to take my bike in and have it get a good 'looking over' at Jaag's before I ride the heck out of it. I went by there last weekend and I like the shop but I thought I would get some opinions on their work before I take the bike in. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.
There's not a whole lot to check on a bike. (if it's running) Unless you want to tear the engine down.
Rust in the tank
Leaking fork/shock seals
steering head bearings
True wheels (no wobbles, tight spokes)
fresh oil
:shrug:

Take it down to Bob's get together and let everyone look at it for you for free. Then if you still want take it elsewhere.

Ponytail

aps45819 said:
There's not a whole lot to check on a bike. (if it's running) Unless you want to tear the engine down.
Rust in the tank
Leaking fork/shock seals
steering head bearings
True wheels (no wobbles, tight spokes)
fresh oil
:shrug:

Wheel bearings, cable lube, tune-up (plugs/wires condition and age), brakes, tire condition... could be alot if you don't know what to look for or what to do. Not all mc riders are mechanically inclined.

Ponytail said:
Wheel bearings, cable lube, tune-up (plugs/wires condition and age), brakes, tire condition... could be alot if you don't know what to look for or what to do. Not all mc riders are mechanically inclined.
I'm thinking this one might be. She mentioned lowering it herself. :yay:

Ponytail

desertrat said:
Take it down to Bob's get together and let everyone look at it for you for free. Then if you still want take it elsewhere.

Just don't let them take the motor out to try installing it sideways. :lol:

cbspec

Fat Hen
Hi. RoseRed and BSGal, good looking, definitely. Pretty smile and looks good walking away.

Desertrat, Ponytail, Aps, you are all correct. There are some things I can do, since I'm quite good at following directions and troubleshooting (Mom calls it being crafty - I call it abstract reasoning) plus I have the Service Manual and lots of info online I can follow, but there are things, like certain sounds, feel, etc... that I think a person picks up with the experience of owning, riding, tweaking a bike. I'm new at all three so I would like an 'expert' (someone with more experience than me) to listen, feel, etc... to the bike. If there is a problem with something, or one starting, hopefully they would explain it to me and/ or show me so I can LEARN and be able to fix it myself before I costs mega$$$ to get it fixed.

Most folks that know things love to show they know things. It's whether the person listening is really willing to LISTEN and learn.

Would Bob (and you all) do this for me? I would love to meet others who ride down here. Where and when is the get together?

Oh yeah, I have not lowered the bike yet, I am waiting on the shocks (ordered) and I have to trim the fender guard thing first. But I am confident I can do this. I am changing the oil and filter this weekend. I've done the research and I'm ready to try.

Thank you all very much.

cbspec

Fat Hen
Ooops. Answered my own question about when and where Bob's get together is. Looked on another thread and there it was. 22nd Saturday in Dameron? I'll check the posts and ask if I need more info.