I'm a carb junkie

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
:bawl: So my new neurologist has been making me keep a very comprehensive "health" diary to see if we can pinpoint any trigers for my migraines. Besides the hormonal fluctuation there's nothing else thus far that seems to cause them. I am however noticing that I do frequently get "sugar headaches" that are not migraines. Two examples: A couple weeks ago I had a "dry" spot in my throat. No matter what I drank it wouldn't go away. I was at my desk and had plenty of hard candy at hand. I probably ate 10 lifesavers trying to cure the dry spot. I hadn't eaten breakfast. Within a half hour I was "crashing" so to speak. I never got the normal sugar rush at all; straight crash. Headache, extremely tired, nausuea, the whole nine yards. Yesterday, I had blueberry yougurt and a huge piece of coconut cream pie for breakfast with the same reaction.

I googled "sugar headache" and "headache after eating sugar" and got some useful information. Most pointing towards "reactive hypoglycemia" which is rare outside of diabetes but not unheard of. I also have a fairly strong family history of diabetes and have had "warning" signs in lab test before.

I'm not going all chicken little :jameo: here but have decided that it's probably in my best interest to change my eating habits. Less sugar, less carbs, more protien. :yay: I'm not going to go full fledge Adkins but maybe semi.

What's a quick list of foods that are ok and what should be avoided. Other then the obvious that is. Like yogurt. I love yogurt and eat a container a day. I don't plan to give it up. Since I've never looked into this before there's a lot I don't know about. Onions? Rice? Is there a quick and dirty list anywhere?

Pix, if you have family history of diabetes, show signs of having blood sugar reactions and have had several "warning signs" in lab results. Why aren't you getting tested to see if you have developed diabetes...:confused:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
kwillia said:
Pix, if you have family history of diabetes, show signs of having blood sugar reactions and have had several "warning signs" in lab results. Why aren't you getting tested to see if you have developed diabetes...:confused:

I go back to the doc next month and am going to let him know. I didn't mean to come across as if I wasn't going to do anything about it at all as far as the doc was concerned just that I wasn't going to go all :jameo: and call him right this very second because I've been having sensativity. I'm going to bring it up for sure when I go back and ask that the test be included (I already have to have bloodwork done to monitor the levels of Topomax in my system for my migraines) and hopefully they can be done at the same time.

pixiegirl said:
I go back to the doc next month and am going to let him know. I didn't mean to come across as if I wasn't going to do anything about it at all as far as the doc was concerned just that I wasn't going to go all :jameo: and call him right this very second because I've been having sensativity. I'm going to bring it up for sure when I go back and ask that the test be included (I already have to have bloodwork done to monitor the levels of Topomax in my system for my migraines) and hopefully they can be done at the same time.
Cool. I thought you were pulling a dems...:huggy:

Now that I am convinced you will seek actual medical advice at some point... let me go back and read your question...:lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Pixie, I would think it's fairly obvious that it's not the breakfast yogurt that's the problem - it''s the hunk of coconut cream pie. :lol:

CowGirlUp

Yeee hawww
pixiegirl said:
:bawl: So my new neurologist has been making me keep a very comprehensive "health" diary to see if we can pinpoint any trigers for my migraines. Besides the hormonal fluctuation there's nothing else thus far that seems to cause them. I am however noticing that I do frequently get "sugar headaches" that are not migraines. Two examples: A couple weeks ago I had a "dry" spot in my throat. No matter what I drank it wouldn't go away. I was at my desk and had plenty of hard candy at hand. I probably ate 10 lifesavers trying to cure the dry spot. I hadn't eaten breakfast. Within a half hour I was "crashing" so to speak. I never got the normal sugar rush at all; straight crash. Headache, extremely tired, nausuea, the whole nine yards. Yesterday, I had blueberry yougurt and a huge piece of coconut cream pie for breakfast with the same reaction.

I googled "sugar headache" and "headache after eating sugar" and got some useful information. Most pointing towards "reactive hypoglycemia" which is rare outside of diabetes but not unheard of. I also have a fairly strong family history of diabetes and have had "warning" signs in lab test before.

I'm not going all chicken little :jameo: here but have decided that it's probably in my best interest to change my eating habits. Less sugar, less carbs, more protien. :yay: I'm not going to go full fledge Adkins but maybe semi.

What's a quick list of foods that are ok and what should be avoided. Other then the obvious that is. Like yogurt. I love yogurt and eat a container a day. I don't plan to give it up. Since I've never looked into this before there's a lot I don't know about. Onions? Rice? Is there a quick and dirty list anywhere?
You really can learn alot of useful information on these forum... I never knew of sugar headaches. Those are alot of the same symptoms I sometimes have.... And diabetes runs in my family.

Maybe my migraines aren't migrains they are sugar headaches. :eyebrow:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
vraiblonde said:
Pixie, I would think it's fairly obvious that it's not the breakfast yogurt that's the problem - it''s the hunk of coconut cream pie. :lol:

Ya think? :confused: :lmao: I'm not a dummy. That's why I researched "sugar headaches" and not "yogurt headaches".

misslady67

pixiegirl said:

Yogurt can also be LOADED with sugar...try Dannon sugar & carb control yogurt. I have one or two of those a day (strawberries & cream or vanilla). Also, it sounds like you should avoid the "white evils"... sugar, bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes. They are loaded with carbs and give you the same high then low feeling. Try to increase your protein and water...that will help a lot. HTH :howdy:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
misslady67 said:
Yogurt can also be LOADED with sugar...try Dannon sugar & carb control yogurt. I have one or two of those a day (stawberries & cream or vanilla). Also, it sounds like you should avoid the "white evils"... sugar, bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes. They are loaded with carbs and give you the same high then low feeling. Try to increase your protein and water...that will help a lot. HTH :howdy:
those are REALLY yummy! :yum:

And Topomax can also make you feel retarded too - in case you didn't know... So, combined with blood sugar issues, it is a lot to deal with :huggy:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
CowGirlUp said:
You really can learn alot of useful information on these forum... I never knew of sugar headaches. Those are alot of the same symptoms I sometimes have.... And diabetes runs in my family.

Maybe my migraines aren't migrains they are sugar headaches. :eyebrow:

Mine are two totally seperate things. My migraines are right sided back of the head towards the base of the skull; very isolated in area. The sugar headaches are all over dull pain and just all over feeling like crap to top it off.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
virgovictoria said:

And Topomax can also make you feel retarded too - in case you didn't know... So, combined with blood sugar issues, it is a lot to deal with :huggy:

I'm getting use to it. I'm in week 3 (not even at my full dose). The first two weeks were hell. I lost all coordination and could not concentrate to save my life. I'm finally starting to get use to it.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
pixiegirl said:
Mine are two totally seperate things. My migraines are right sided back of the head towards the base of the skull; very isolated in area. The sugar headaches are all over dull pain and just all over feeling like crap to top it off.

I'll also add that my migraine meds that are very effective for migraines had zero effect yesterday. I took two Relpax and nothing. I called my mom in route to McDonalds because there was no way I could cook the pigs dinner and told her what was going on (B was at work so no help at home). She suggested I get some protien in me. Chicken nuggets for dinner and within the hour I felt fine.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
pixiegirl said:
I have both issues as well and tend to follow a low processed sugar regimen. I, too, am on Topomax. In the early days, I suffered from a lot of side effects from the med as well, which can make you feel like an idiot - brain wise... So, you have migraine issues alleviated by the Topomax (which, incidentally work on the temporal lobe of the brain), which has a stupifying effect - compounded by a blood sugar issue.

It sucks and it takes time. :dead:

But, you should really see your doc and have him or her work with you and your diet. I know it must be tough with the bebes too...

Hang in there!

misslady67

virgovictoria said:

:huggy: That sounds crappy. I hope you get this under control soon. I drastically changed my diet over 5 months ago (mainly to lose weight...over 80 pounds yay) it had really made me feel so much better and have much more energy. The way we eat really does effect our body and spirit. BUT it's not easy. :yay:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
virgovictoria said:
I have both issues as well and tend to follow a low processed sugar regimen. I, too, am on Topomax. In the early days, I suffered from a lot of side effects from the med as well, which can make you feel like an idiot - brain wise... So, you have migraine issues alleviated by the Topomax (which, incidentally work on the temporal lobe of the brain), which has a stupifying effect - compounded by a blood sugar issue.

It sucks and it takes time. :dead:

But, you should really see your doc and have him or her work with you and your diet. I know it must be tough with the bebes too...

Hang in there!

:huggy: Souls sisters.

Guess I have to tell B it's crabs for dinner. Oh darn.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'm a reformed carb addict myself. Since I've cut out most of the sugar and junk food, I rarely get headaches. Plus my weight has gone done significantly and continues to go down and my energy level has soared.

One good reference for keeping your sugar levels on an even keel is the glycemic index. It's very useful for diabetics but dieters and carb addicts will find it very handy, too. It tells you how easily foods are converted to sugar in your body and how much impact there is to it on the glucose levels in your blood.

You can still eat a lot of the same food but a different type. For example, I do not use white rice any more as it goes straight to sugar. I use brown basmati rice instead and like the flavor much better. Prevention magazine is a great resource of information and they have a wonderful book out. I'll try to find it and post a link.

K

Katie

I am a recovering junk food junkie. When I first started doing WW I would eat there low fat stuff. Still had headaches, and felt blechy.

Basically I eat fruits, veggies, lean protein, and for a treat I do occasionally in sugar free fat free pudding made with skim milk. I do have times that I skip, but I do notice that when I eat that stuff I get very tired.

Willona

pixiegirl said:
I'm getting use to it. I'm in week 3 (not even at my full dose). The first two weeks were hell. I lost all coordination and could not concentrate to save my life. I'm finally starting to get use to it.

Hi Pixie, what dosage are you taking of the topomax? I have been taking 25 mg's a day for about 2 years now without any probs. My doctor said that one of the side effects could be weight loss, because it could decrease your appetite, however I was not one of those lucky ones. I did increase my dosage to 50 mg for a short time and I did feel a little spacey, but it still didn't decrease my appetite (dammit)..so I am back to the 25mg. It seems to help and I don't get headaches as much, but still do get them once in a while. One thing I found also that helps is called migrastick. You can get it at a health food store. It is a roller stick that has mint and lavender oils in it and you roll it on your temples, forehead and back of the neck. It has relieved my headaches when I have felt them coming on, although I wasn't for sure if it was a migraine or just a sinus headache. Good luck with it. I just thought I would put in my .02.

MDTerps

Back in the saddle
jazz lady said:
I'm a reformed carb addict myself. Since I've cut out most of the sugar and junk food, I rarely get headaches. Plus my weight has gone done significantly and continues to go down and my energy level has soared.

One good reference for keeping your sugar levels on an even keel is the glycemic index. It's very useful for diabetics but dieters and carb addicts will find it very handy, too. It tells you how easily foods are converted to sugar in your body and how much impact there is to it on the glucose levels in your blood.

You can still eat a lot of the same food but a different type. For example, I do not use white rice any more as it goes straight to sugar. I use brown basmati rice instead and like the flavor much better. Prevention magazine is a great resource of information and they have a wonderful book out. I'll try to find it and post a link.

Use breakfast cereals based on oats, barley and bran
Use breads with wholegrains, stone-ground flour, sour dough
Reduce the amount of potatoes you eat
Enjoy all other types of fruit and vegetables
Use Basmati, Doongara or Japanese koshihikari rice
Enjoy pasta, noodles, quinoa
Eat plenty of salad vegetables with a vinaigrette dressing

I do eat the breakfast and wholegrains. I'm not much of a potato person so that's not a problem. Fruit, veggies and salad with vinaigrette dressing is my everyday lunch except weekends.
What stores around here sell the rice? We eat brown rice but if the rice listed above is better then we will try it!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
MDTerps said:
I do eat the breakfast and wholegrains. I'm not much of a potato person so that's not a problem. Fruit, veggies and salad with vinaigrette dressing is my everyday lunch except weekends.
Good choices. White potatoes are one of the big evils, although I do indulge now and then. You're much better off eating sweet potatoes WITHOUT all the sugar dumped on top. Just a dollop of butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon and I'm in heaven. :lol:

What stores around here sell the rice? We eat brown rice but if the rice listed above is better then we will try it!
I get the brown basmati rice from BJ's, but you should be able to find it in any grocery store now. I like the basmati better because it has a nice, nutty flavor and smells like popcorn when cooking. :yum: