Metabolic Syndrome?

mainman

Set Trippin
I saw the cardiologist yesterday and he says it is possible that I have metabolic syndrome...

Thyroid is all out of whack...

Blood sugar takes longer to drop than the norm...

the only thing that does not match is the cholesterol, which is low...

Cholesterol 112
Tryglyceride 45
HDL 28
LDL 73

Blood pressure was still a bit high yesterday so he added a new pill, so right now I am taking 2 different pills for blood pressure.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with this? I've never even heard of it...

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
mainman said:
I saw the cardiologist yesterday and he says it is possible that I have metabolic syndrome...

Thyroid is all out of whack...

Blood sugar takes longer to drop than the norm...

the only thing that does not match is the cholesterol, which is low...

Cholesterol 112
Tryglyceride 45
HDL 28
LDL 73

Blood pressure was still a bit high yesterday so he added a new pill, so right now I am taking 2 different pills for blood pressure.

Has anyone else been diagnosed with this? I've never even heard of it...
Are you also hypothryroid? Many people who are hypothyroid also have low cholesterol - for example, my entire family.

I haven't heard the term "metabolic syndrome" used.

Pandora

Honestly, I think this is just a classification of a list of aliments that is meant to tell you in a nice round about way you need to drop the pounds.

Lifestyle changes can quickly reverse risks

In less than a month, individuals can reverse serious heart disease risk factors by making significant lifestyle changes, researchers are reporting.

In an encouraging study conducted on overweight men, researchers found that after three weeks on a high-fiber, low-fat diet and adding up to 60 minutes of daily walking, about half of the study participants reversed type 2 diabetes or a constellation of unhealthy risk factors called the "metabolic syndrome."

"Our study found that when an individual partakes in a fairly intensive diet and exercise lifestyle modification, that significant changes in their health can be noted in a short period of time," said one of the study's authors, Christian Roberts, an assistant researcher in the physiological sciences department at the University of California, Los Angeles.

"Most of the population is under the belief that it takes a long time to see improvement. But, we found that we could reverse diabetes and metabolic syndrome within three weeks, despite the fact that these men were still obese," he said.

Pandora said:
Honestly, I think this is just a classification of a list of aliments that is meant to tell you in a nice round about way you need to drop the pounds.
From everything I'm reading... it is more involved than that. To be classified as having Metabolic Syndrome, one is already at "high-risk" in several areas. There is more at stake here than "drop a few pounds, you'll feel better".

MM... My brother was hit with this a couple years ago. Once he was faced with his own mortality, he changed the way he chose to eat and live his life. He joined Weight Watchers and a gym and began walking. In less than a year, he went from 42 inch waist jeans to 32 inch. His blood readings are all excellent now. He sleeps better, he feels better now. He is "younger" now at 42 than he had been a whole decade before. It can be done. :yay:

Pandora

kwillia said:
From everything I'm reading... it is more involved than that. To be classified as having Metabolic Syndrome, one is already at "high-risk" in several areas. There is more at stake here than "drop a few pounds, you'll feel better".

I said “pounds” not a “few pounds.” :lol:

Look at your brother, he dropped the weight, changed his life style and his modifications changed his life.

Obesity and weight related aliments are quickly becoming the #1 cause of death in America. It is more dangerous than smoking, yet it isn’t socially acceptable to chastise those who are over weight but society has no qualms about taking dibs at smokers.

My sister died at age 31 of an asthma attack in October, but let me be realistic for a moment. She was 5’2” and was 300 lbs., so I’m sure her weight was a huge factor in her asthma being far worse than need be.

Pandora said:
I said “pounds” not a “few pounds.” :lol:

Look at your brother, he dropped the weight, changed his life style and his modifications changed his life.

Obesity and weight related aliments are quickly becoming the #1 cause of death in America. It is more dangerous than smoking, yet it isn’t socially acceptable to chastise those who are over weight but society has no qualms about taking dibs at smokers.

My sister died at age 31 of an asthma attack in October, but let me be realistic for a moment. She was 5’2” and was 300 lbs., so I’m sure her weight was a huge factor in her asthma being far worse than need be.
Gotcha... I thought you were implying that the "MS" diagnosis was a politically correct way for the doc to say "lose weight". I'm very proud of my brother. He has been able to maintain his weight loss and it's going on 3 years now. He does say it is a constant battle though. The changes he has had to make he can't slip. He says he uses his belt as his guide. If he finds it is getting tight, rather than loosen it to the next notch, he takes a look back has what has changed in his eating/exercise habits and than makes the necessary adjustments there rather than in the belt.

K

Katie

kwillia said:
Gotcha... I thought you were implying that the "MS" diagnosis was a politically correct way for the doc to say "lose weight". I'm very proud of my brother. He has been able to maintain his weight loss and it's going on 3 years now. He does say it is a constant battle though. The changes he has had to make he can't slip. He says he uses his belt as his guide. If he finds it is getting tight, rather than loosen it to the next notch, he takes a look back has what has changed in his eating/exercise habits and than makes the necessary adjustments there rather than in the belt.

:huggy:

WOOHOO

For your brother!!

mainman

Set Trippin
Pandora said:
This is a doctor you dope :neener:.. He does not have to round about nice way nothing up....

We already know some weight needs to come off.... He was reacting to the lab results. What he ultimatly said was, there is a good possibillty the weight is harder to get off for someone that has Metabolic syndrome and remains untreated....

mainman said:
... there is a good possibillty the weight is harder to get off for someone that has Metabolic syndrome and remains untreated....
Yep...yep...yep. This is what my sister is going through. She began Weight Watcher's the same time as my brother and she is very, very, very much in control of her caloric intake. However, she is into year 3 and still has a way to go to hit a healthy weight mark. Her body is not reaction to diet and exercise like my brother's body did. Every time I read posts by people saying "duh, just watch what you eat and the weight will drop"... I think of her and realize they haven't a clue that it is not that simple for everyone.

Pandora

kwillia said:

That is terrific. I am proud of him and I don't even know him, but I know how hard it is to do.

In August, my sister began watching my boys before and after school. She decided to make some serious life altering decisions and even dropped 25 lbs 2 months prior to her death and yet it was too late. Her blood pressure and blood sugar was high and she was on medication, her readings were just like MM’s as far as Cholesterol, Tryglycerides, HDL and LDL, so those numbers didn’t indicate a risk, just the blood pressure and blood sugar. Her ashma attack caused her heart to stop. They were never able to get her heart to beat again.

Weight is a huge factor is physical aliments and now we are hearing health officials lecturing at the tops of their lungs that weight effects health.

My father is extremely overweight beyond belief now, which I feel is due to his depression over loosing a daughter. Now he is going thru numerous medical problems. So not only have I lost my mother, my sister but the way my father is going, I am going to lose him soon enough.

MM,

You know you need to make some changes and I cannot stress enough to you how much you need to do that for shorty. He needs you! So hopefully they will get you underway soon enough. :huggy:

mainman

Set Trippin
Pandora said:
MM,

You know you need to make some changes and I cannot stress enough to you how much you need to do that for shorty. He needs you! So hopefully they will get you underway soon enough. :huggy:
I started gyming it 3 weeks ago...:biggrin: That is where I spend my lunch hours...

Christy

b*tch rocket
mainman said:
Had my blood pressure taken yesterday: 112/72... I can never remember it being that low...:thewave: :getdown:

I think you owe it to all the women in your life that are taking care of you. :wink: :love:

Excellent news! :yay:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
Every time I read posts by people saying "duh, just watch what you eat and the weight will drop"... I think of her and realize they haven't a clue that it is not that simple for everyone.
I'm glad you made this comment. I've always said those exact words, but it never dawned on me that I've been witness to both friends and family members who just can't drop the weight. I have a friend who eats good and exercises 3 days a week, yet she's struggling to even drop 5 lbs. :ohwell:

SamSpade

Pandora said:
It is more dangerous than smoking, yet it isn’t socially acceptable to chastise those who are over weight but society has no qualms about taking dibs at smokers.

I haven't seen this. I've heard a LOT more people ridiculing those who are fat than those who smoke - which would be zero, actually. I've seen a lot more prejudice and cruelty done to those who are overweight than to a smoker - which is to say, zero. Unless you absolutely stink of smoke - and I've been around people where the odor is so strong it resembles sewage - no one really can tell you're a smoker from ten feet away unless you're holding one.

I think it sucks that people are cruel to fat people - having been fat myself for a very long time, I know from experience - but it doesn't compare.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
mainman said:
Had my blood pressure taken yesterday: 112/72... I can never remember it being that low...:thewave: :getdown:
Congrats! Let's go celebrate by eating a platter full of french fries covered in melted cheese and crispy bacon, with a side of sour cream. Oh, and then we can move on to a massive steak marbled with lots of flavorful fat with a fully loaded baked potato on the side, and for dessert, we can have deep fried Twinkies and a massive cone of cotton candy covered in caramel syrup. :yum:

Really, dude, that is great news. :clap: