I am so ready

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
to ride my bike to work. Simple ride. Up 235 from Shady Mile Drive. Left on 245 and up to Leonardtown. I just have to have the perfect day. Seems we may have worked the problems out of the bike. Running fine without the choke. Had to choke it to start it today, but not full choke, left it running about 5 minutes, took the choke off, it putted for a while, up and down, a bit jerky, and then kicked in, and was running great within 1/4 mile. We did take it yesterday and got it up to 60 up and down 235. It just needs to run more often, I think, at a higher speed. 2002 with 1600 miles on it and barely ridden. Running much better now with the stuff we put in the fuel and the new plugs.........Now, if I can just figure out exactly what I will need to take to work. License, cell phone, comb for that helmet hair, bank card... think that is it.

Pete

Repete
BS Gal said:
to ride my bike to work. Simple ride. Up 235 from Shady Mile Drive. Left on 245 and up to Leonardtown. I just have to have the perfect day. Seems we may have worked the problems out of the bike. Running fine without the choke. Had to choke it to start it today, but not full choke, left it running about 5 minutes, took the choke off, it putted for a while, up and down, a bit jerky, and then kicked in, and was running great within 1/4 mile. We did take it yesterday and got it up to 60 up and down 235. It just needs to run more often, I think, at a higher speed. 2002 with 1600 miles on it and barely ridden. Running much better now with the stuff we put in the fuel and the new plugs.........Now, if I can just figure out exactly what I will need to take to work. License, cell phone, comb for that helmet hair, bank card... think that is it.
Boy and I went to Monterey for dinner on the bike. It was nice. Just be careful :nono:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pete said:
Boy and I went to Monterey for dinner on the bike. It was nice. Just be careful :nono:
I most certainly will be. I'm probably the most cautious of all right now. I'll pull over if someone is tailgaiting. Nooooooo problem with that.

jbooty

BS Gal said:
to ride my bike to work. Simple ride. Up 235 from Shady Mile Drive. Left on 245 and up to Leonardtown. I just have to have the perfect day. .

Did you just reply to an ad for a V-Star?

Pete

Repete
BS Gal said:
I most certainly will be. I'm probably the most cautious of all right now. I'll pull over if someone is tailgaiting. Nooooooo problem with that.
No matter what happens do NOT PANIC. If you stall at a light, whatever, keep your cool.

Riding down the road is easy just remember don't ride in someone's blind spot, buzz by them or lag back so you can see their face in their mirror. Intersections and traffic lights pay very close attention.

If approaching an intersection and a car approaches sometimes I will flick my high beam 2 or 3 times to be sure they notice me.

Always figure a car approaching an intersection from the left or right across your path will not stop. Proceed that way until he does.

When stopping at a red light start lightly pumping your hand brake a few times to flash your brake light before applying the brakes to be sure the knucklehead behind you sees you and knows you are stopping.

NEVER stop directly behind a car at a light. Stop near the gap between cars near the lane marking line and just as you stop angle yourself slightly so if you have to get out of the way you can just pop the clutch and shoot in between cars.

NEVER put your bike in neutral and coast to a stop. If the goober behind you is not paying attention and doesn't stop you cannot get out of the way if you are in N.

the last 15 feet before you stop at a light check your mirror 15 times so be sure the car behind you is stopping.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I like to maintain what I call a "positive speed diferential"

:shrug: other folks call it speeding :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BS Gal said:
We did take it yesterday and got it up to 60 up and down 235. It just needs to run more often, I think, at a higher speed. 2002 with 1600 miles on it and barely ridden.
Italian Tune up.. High Speed, High RPM ride..

HunterJJD

aps45819 said:
I like to maintain what I call a "positive speed diferential"

:shrug: other folks call it speeding :lol:

I agree with you, if they are not around me they can not hit me and LOUD pipes also :lmao:

I have a question. I always thought that when a biker is riding solo (no other bikes with him/her), they should ride close to the yellow line, not the white line. Am I wrong??

I see a LOT of motorcyclists lately riding to the right of the lane. :confused:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Speedy70 said:
I have a question. I always thought that when a biker is riding solo (no other bikes with him/her), they should ride close to the yellow line, not the white line. Am I wrong??

I see a LOT of motorcyclists lately riding to the right of the lane. :confused:
Your body should be in the same position in the lane it would be if you were driving a car, left of center in the lane.

Vince

BS, remember something else. You are on a motorcycle, not in a car. You're small, and always have an escape that cars don't have. Good luck. Traffic around here is insane.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Vince said:
BS, remember something else. You are on a motorcycle, not in a car. You're small, and always have an escape that cars don't have. Good luck. Traffic around here is insane.
...and don't be afraid to use your horn.

aps45819 said:
Your body should be in the same position in the lane it would be if you were driving a car, left of center in the lane.

That's what I thought. My Dad always told me that you have to be towards the left of the lane for safety reasons....if someone two cars back decides to pass the car in front of them, they need to see the motorcycle.

There are quite a few bikers out there not riding as they should. :nono:

Pete

Repete
aps45819 said:
...and don't be afraid to use your horn.
:yeahthat: Like I did this morning to the asshat in the minivan who figures that even if someone is coming if he turns on his turn signal 1.68 nanoseconds before swapping lanes he is cool. :yay:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Little lady this morning almost dropped her bike at the light in front of Exploration. I think the bike was a little too tall for her, she had to shift to get her toes on the ground.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I know one of you guys, where saying that if I just showed up at DMV I could get into the course (if someone didn't show up).

Does anyone know what night they start there classes on that I need to be there ???

Thanks in advance

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
sanchezf said:
I know one of you guys, where saying that if I just showed up at DMV I could get into the course (if someone didn't show up).

Does anyone know what night they start there classes on that I need to be there ???

Thanks in advance
You need to go on the College of Southern Maryland webite and look for the Motorcycle Safety Course. The course I went to was at the La Plata campus. The first night the class started at 5:30, but we all arrived at 5:00. If, by 5:40, someone hadn't shown up, the standby would get their spot. Everyone showed up on time for our class. Good luck.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
BS Gal said:
You need to go on the College of Southern Maryland webite and look for the Motorcycle Safety Course. The course I went to was at the La Plata campus. The first night the class started at 5:30, but we all arrived at 5:00. If, by 5:40, someone hadn't shown up, the standby would get their spot. Everyone showed up on time for our class. Good luck.

Thanks BS
Before you took your class had you ever rode a motorcycle or dirt bike?
I've never rode either and am just wondering how hard or easy it will be to get the hang of it?