Puppy opinions

GeezLouise

tired and content....
I have started to think more and more about getting a family dog. I have always loved Golden Retrievers.....anyone have any good/bad info on the breed? I still need to do more research on the specific breed, but I wanted to get some opinions.... :shrug:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
GeezLouise said:
I have started to think more and more about getting a family dog. I have always loved Golden Retrievers.....anyone have any good/bad info on the breed? I still need to do more research on the specific breed, but I wanted to get some opinions.... :shrug:
Don't they shed a lot of hair? I'm not sure, but I would assume so. Very nice breed, though.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Damn, she meant dogs, I thought she was going to show us pictures of her puppies.. and let us comment..

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I had a Golden Retriever for 15 years. He was an absolutely wonderful pet.

They shed a lot and I think that is the only con.

Be sure you read up on the breed and all of the health issues that can affect the breed. They can have eye and hip problems. Make sure you thoroughly check out the breeder's references and health testing program. :yay:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
No matter what breed you choose they will stink equally when sprayed by a skunk. :dead:

Other than that goldens do have a great temperament, and are good family dogs.

GeezLouise

tired and content....
Do you know of any reputable websites to look up breed info? I know there are some out there that don't give you good info.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
GeezLouise said:
Do you know of any reputable websites to look up breed info? I know there are some out there that don't give you good info.

I am familiar with a rescue group, but they can be a wealth of information about the breed.

http://grreat.org/

You can also contact the Chesapeake Kennel Club and see if they can refer you to any reputable breeders in the area.

GeezLouise

tired and content....
cattitude said:
I am familiar with a rescue group, but they can be a wealth of information about the breed.

http://grreat.org/

You can also contact the Chesapeake Kennel Club and see if they can refer you to any reputable breeders in the area.

Did you consider yours "too hard to handle" sometimes? I read on that website, that the reason that most "give up" their goldens was for that reason.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
GeezLouise said:
Did you consider yours "too hard to handle" sometimes? I read on that website, that the reason that most "give up" their goldens was for that reason.
They have a lot of energy.
And don't get mad when they poop on the deck.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
GeezLouise said:

Absolutely not. He was a terriffic dog. I'm a firm believer in attending obedience classes and working with all dogs. I took him to a puppy class and worked with him. He was always a sweet, sweet dog and just very well behaved.

I find people often get a certain dog for the wrong reasons. They will get one because it's pretty, looks a certain way or some type of a "status" dog. Then when they get to the actually ownership, they aren't up to it and ditch the dog.

Do your homework, talk to people, know what to expect. No puppy/dog is without a considerable amount of work and time.

GeezLouise

tired and content....
cattitude said:
Absolutely not. He was a terriffic dog. I'm a firm believer in attending obedience classes and working with all dogs. I took him to a puppy class and worked with him. He was always a sweet, sweet dog and just very well behaved.

I find people often get a certain dog for the wrong reasons. They will get one because it's pretty, looks a certain way or some type of a "status" dog. Then when they get to the actually ownership, they aren't up to it and ditch the dog.

Do your homework, talk to people, know what to expect. No puppy/dog is without a considerable amount of work and time.

I have a little one at home. Do you think this breed of dog will be okay with him? I would need to devote time to both of them. Do you think its doable? :shrug:

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Both of our goldies had epilepsy and one an enlarged heart. My neighbor just found out that his goldie has epilepsy as well. Not sure if it's in the breed or just the local screwy genitic pool.
Both (of ours) were adopted as adults...now we believe they were dumped off at the shelter (where we got them)because of their health issues but nothing was said about it. They were wonderful companions though.
Now I'm choked up thinking about them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
GeezLouise said:
I had an American Foxhound.. smartest dog I ever owned, and VERY protective of my kid(s).

He wuold let my daughter, when she was a baby, pull on his tongue, take food out of his mouth.. grab his toys, pull on his tail, and he would just sit there next to her on the floor and take it. BUT if she was in the house with mom, and I was outside don't EVEN try to get in the house.

Beautiful dog, easy to train..

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
GeezLouise said:
I have a little one at home. Do you think this breed of dog will be okay with him? I would need to devote time to both of them. Do you think its doable? :shrug:

How little? But yes, it'd doable. Just takes time.

And yes, Goldens can have epilepsy..mine did. However, I made some changes in his diet and he didn't have a seizure for 10 years.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
And you know, thinking further, I'd recommend if you want a Golden and you have a little one, that you look into the rescue. They do a great job of screening the dogs so that you know exactly what you're getting. Most are already housebroken and have some obedience. If you don't have a lot of time to devote to that, you can get a nice dog and won't have the frustration of the puppy issues combined with a small child.

Labs and Retreivers are GREAT family dogs. Very rarely do you find one that is not the nicest dog in the world. Just watch out for that tail when they get a waggin.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
cattitude said:
How little? But yes, it'd doable. Just takes time.

And yes, Goldens can have epilepsy..mine did. However, I made some changes in his diet and he didn't have a seizure for 10 years.

I don't even have epilepsy or seizures but am on the stupid meds for it. :bawl: :jameo: :lmao:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
huntr1 said:
Labs and Retreivers are GREAT family dogs. Very rarely do you find one that is not the nicest dog in the world. Just watch out for that tail when they get a waggin.
That goes for ALL good natured dogs. My puppy's tail is ALWAYS wagging, and he's gonna start knocking people out with it soon. :lmao: