Relocating to Maryland

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
My family ( USNret ) and I are relocating to the Pax River area in late summer, we would like some advice on a good area to rent and possibly buy a home , how are high schools there ... etc ... ? How is the job market ? Any and all suggestions are welcome . Thanks .

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'm in favor of Mechanicsville also (duh, I live there!) ;) it's a good middle point I think for commuting to the DC area.

G

giggles04

Original Comment:

I would suggest Calvert county (Gods Country), but that is me.
Good luck.

I beg to differ Ridunno, Calvert county is not Gods Country. God's Country lies in the area south of St. Mary's City in St Mary's County. :)

tipsy mcgee

Always thirsty
I think God's Country definitely lies in St. Mary's in areas such as the Ridge/Scotland area, Piney Point/Tall Timbers and lower Compton and, of course, the Seventh District, a few areas that remain a little more remote even with all the influx of people and buildings into northern St. Mary's down to the base on 235.

As for the real estate business, I think most new people to the area suffer a little "sticker shock" by prices for rentals and new homes. It is quite high for a somewhat remote area.

There are three county public high schools, all recently remodeled, and one parochial school in Leonardtown that is pretty good. I don't have any kids in high school, so maybe someone could chime in about their experience.

If you give a little more info about what your plans for work are, some of us may be able to pinpoint some good locations for you.

G

giggles04

I'm glad that someone agrees with the whole God's Country thing!:)
:)

G

giggles04

Nah, I'm perfectly fine in the South end of St. Mary's County!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
God's country has a beach alright, but not the blistering heat of the tropics that gets old VERY quickly.
It has gulls and eagles and a wide variety of flora and fauna and gentle breezes that cool even the hottest of days.
It has waves that lap gently on the shore and majestic cliffs that rise from the water.
It has amazing sunrises that offer a kaleidoscope of colors and sunsets in pink and blue and orange that dazzle the eye.
It has blue water, white puffy clouds and greenery everywhere.

I have all of the above in Calvert County!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by bknarw
I have all of the above in Calvert County!
Shhhhhhhhhhh! It's crowded enough here already at my end of the beach.:D

James D

Charles is by far the the best county in SMD.

Why? - It has it all.

If you like a busy area - You can't beat Waldorf.

If you like a quiet area - Hughesville, La Plata, White Plains, Bel Alton, ...

You are closer to DC, Baltimore, Annaoplis, and Richmond

Plenty of water, rivers and lakes

And Ken,

Is Scotland, MD - only the one road next to Point Lookout. I don't even recall seeing a post office.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
James D.

Scotland is about halfway between Ridge and Point Lookout. I'm thinking Buzzy's is about dead center.

Cabbage

Also considering relocating to so. MD.

We are strongly considering Patuxent HS District based on academics and music (band ) program. Problem with making the decision is that we understand the school district lines will be redrawn for the 2003-2004 academic year when the new school in north Calvert County opens.

We are wanting to relocate to an area with a strong academic, music, and athletic program and have heard the most positive comments about Patuxent HS in those areas.

What is available for sale in Dowell that is affordable other than condos?

Please advise on the pros/cons of living in Chesapeake Ranch Estates.

If anyone lives in Cove Point Woods in Lusby or knows anyone from there, would appreciate all info.

Thanks.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Well I beg to differ with you all...I personally think Gods Country is in Nanjemoy! Now that is way out there. I know that when people come in my work, and want to build a home out there...it is like 'oh we are going to Gods Country now' *smile*

Just throwing my two cents around...not something new there!

Rane

Lookin for Margaritaville
Cabbage, we are moving to the Pax River area soon and a friend of ours who is currently stationed at the navy base told us we should look into Chesapeake Ranch Estates as a place we might be interested in, so it must be a nice area ... anyone care to elaborate ? He also mentioned Solomons Island, Chancellors Run , Leonardtown and Damron .
Could anyone tell me anything about the local middle and high schools in Calvert and/or St Marys co. ? Thanks again for all the feedback you've given me, I am looking forward to moving up there soon :D