Saturday's tornado

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I heard that a small (if there really IS such a thing) tornado passed through Southern St. Mary's Saturday near Pope's Creek.
I love the restaurant there and have a couple of friends in the area. Does anyone know any details?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
That would be Charles County and not St. Mary's, passed south of La Plata.

Otter

Nothing to see here

(Undated-AP) -- The National Weather Service has confirmed that a small tornado touched down in Charles County yesterday. It's the second tornado to strike the southern Maryland county in three weeks.

The twister damaged some buildings but no one got hurt. But a county spokesman says it was nothing compared to one on April 28th.

Yesterday's storm formed over the Potomac River around 7:30 a-m. It made landfall near the hamlet of Popes Creek, where it damaged trees, a shed and some barns. Its path ended three miles south of La Plata, the town where an F-4 tornado killed five people last month and destroyed many houses and other structures.

A weather service spokesman says winds reached up to 80 miles-per-hour.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
Yeah it just some barns and tree's. It happened in a small town called Faulkner or something like that(not sure of the spelling). It's just farms down that way. It did go through St Mary's a little bit. They said it was a f0 or f1. I heard it on fox5 news sat. night. They said on average Maryland has 4 tornado's in a year, this is number 6! And the year isn't over yet!

bknarw

Attire Monitor
I drove 234 today for just a short bit from Allen's Fresh to 301 and saw a lot of debris on the sides of the road, but that was about it.
Anyone know about the little Restaurant there at Pope's Creek?
Just curious...

B

Beaver-Cleaver

(Undated-AP) -- The National Weather Service has confirmed that a small tornado touched down in Charles County yesterday. It's the second tornado to strike the southern Maryland county in three weeks.

The twister damaged some buildings but no one got hurt. But a county spokesman says it was nothing compared to one on April 28th.

Yesterday's storm formed over the Potomac River around 7:30 a-m. It made landfall near the hamlet of Popes Creek, where it damaged trees, a shed and some barns. Its path ended three miles south of La Plata, the town where an F-4 tornado killed five people last month and destroyed many houses and other structures.

A weather service spokesman says winds reached up to 80 miles-per-hour.

Welcome to Tornader County :killingme

Small tornadoes are one thing, they hit all the time but usually cause little damage. Just as long as we don't have another big one like we saw 6 & 1/2 years ago.

B

Beaver-Cleaver

I heard it on fox5 news sat. night. They said on average Maryland has 4 tornado's in a year, this is number 6! And the year isn't over yet!

And more than half of those were probably in Charles County. :rolleyes: