Gods and Generals

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Everyone associated with this movie should be killed. I am your average retard with a high school education and even I couldn't sit through all the historical inaccuracy. Larry is a Civil War buff so you don't even want to hear him going off about this absolute garbage of a movie.

Lots of speechifying and such, no mention of slavery or the political aspects of the war - or even Lincoln, for that matter. The story revolves around "Stonewall Jackson" - and I use that name loosely because the "character" is loosely based on Jackson. Stonewall Jackson, as created by Ted Turner (who has a cameo which made me almost barf).

You know, I'll stand a little embellishment and downright lies if a movie is entertaining. This movie was like pulling teeth. After two hours of this crap, they called for an intermission (I guess so we could go puke up our snacks). The WHOLE audience gasped and was like, "INTERMISSION!?! You mean this movie isn't finally OVER!?!"

Seated to the left of me were two high school boys, who snickered throughout the movie, scoffed at the absurd parts (which was most of it) and generally showed more historical intelligence than the directors, screenwriters and script people who made this thing. So there is hope for the world.

We left shortly after intermission - no way were we going to sit through another two hours of that...that...that...ugh!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My favorite review of this movie:

"As dry as a high school history book, solemn as a funeral service, humorless as a Politburo meeting, bloated as a waterlogged corpse and unbalanced as a bout between a debutante and a sumo wrestler."

That about sums it up. Wish I'd have read that prior to spending the money to see it.

S

ShellyCW

I almost lost it when the Confederate pantheon sat around singing Silent Night. The transitions between scenes were horrible. Every line was overwrought and flowery. And that little girl that Jackson befriended... did that actress get a script from a different movie?? Why was the black cook hanging out at Jackson's death bed?? If they had only fallen on their own bayonets! :barf:

Last edited by a moderator:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Last night after I posted I thought about something: Maybe, with war looming, the creators of this movie were trying to make it look like was wasn't such a bad thing. Maybe they wanted people to think, "Well, hell - that's not so bad. Clean, well-fed, sitting around singing Christmas carols with pretty women in a nice warm house with your buddies. Heck, yeah, let's go to war!"

Maybe the ending got more realistic but we didn't stay to find out.

K

Kain99

Biscuit is a big Civil War buff too. At first we were actually looking forward to this movie but thanks to Vrai's review I think we'll skip it. :wink: