LR3 Commercial

Terps

Has anyone seen the LR3 commercials? Its footage of the LR3 using its navigation system to guide the aircraft in mid-flight, I think its pretty cool, because no one has tried a stunt like this until now. I think its amazing that a car's navigation system can track correctly at that speed and altitude. Does anyone have one or been in it? I attached the link for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:73729

Terps said:
Has anyone seen the LR3 commercials? Its footage of the LR3 using its navigation system to guide the aircraft in mid-flight, I think its pretty cool, because no one has tried a stunt like this until now. I think its amazing that a car's navigation system can track correctly at that speed and altitude. Does anyone have one or been in it? I attached the link for your viewing pleasure.

http://www.vimeo.com/clip:73729

It is pretty neat...but a GPS is navigated using satellites. If anything it should work better 30,000ft in the air! :lmao:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Terps said:
I think its amazing that a car's navigation system can track correctly at that speed and altitude.
What's the big deal, it's a GPS Nav system and they're only going from france to Corsica. Should be able to do that with a compass The comercial doesn't say where in france, you're talking about a 100 mile flight.

Terps

I just thought the concept of the commercial was pretty neat on Land Rover's marketing part. Yes, i realize a lot of GPS could feasibly do this but just an interesting marketing spin. It definitely grab my attention.

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
I think the commercial is BS...:bs:

The GPS in the vehicle needs to "see" the satellites for GPS navigation (the GPS antenna in the vehicle needs to see sky to hook up with the satellite signals). How did it work if the car was enclosed inside a metal aircraft???

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Voter2002 said:
I think the commercial is BS...:bs:

The GPS in the vehicle needs to "see" the satellites for GPS navigation (the GPS antenna in the vehicle needs to see sky to hook up with the satellite signals). How did it work if the car was enclosed inside a metal aircraft???
They use this stuff called "wire"
Ran it from the planes GPS antenna to the car's GPS unit.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
They use this stuff called "wire"
Ran it from the planes GPS antenna to the car's GPS unit.
That and aircraft skin is VERY thin.. could probably still see the satellites through the skin..

We were in a garage in Owings mills, and I mean more then 100 feet inside the building, and we were still getting enough satellites to get a good fix..

at 1:21 into the video, it shows what looks like them taping a patch antenna on the inside of the aircraft window..

and it's a LOT easier for a GPS to fly then to drive on roads.. You don't have to remember what roads are one way.. or where to take a left turn at what set of lights etc... it's all just bearing and altitude. EASY cheasy!!

Last edited:

Terps

I agree Bob. Its very possible for the LR3's GPS to work through the aircraft so that isnt really holding it back from being a reality. I think the commercial is quite real. I never thought about the satellite having to think about one-way roads etc, i guess that could be a little harder, haha

Terps said:
I agree Bob. Its very possible for the LR3's GPS to work through the aircraft so that isnt really holding it back from being a reality. I think the commercial is quite real. I never thought about the satellite having to think about one-way roads etc, i guess that could be a little harder, haha
It's a lot harder. I read about a race they have in SoCal or NV every year run by unmanned vehicles using GPS on an off road course. Teams from universities etc. compete and very few actually finish. Top speeds are NOT impressive. :lmao:

Terps

desertrat said:
It's a lot harder. I read about a race they have in SoCal or NV every year run by unmanned vehicles using GPS on an off road course. Teams from universities etc. compete and very few actually finish. Top speeds are NOT impressive. :lmao:

Maybe you just thought of Land Rover's next big commercial? Then they will have done speed and unmanned vehicles. Even more impressive, especially sine i thought the plane idea was cool.

Terps said:
Maybe you just thought of Land Rover's next big commercial? Then they will have done speed and unmanned vehicles. Even more impressive, especially sine i thought the plane idea was cool.
Yeah, maybe once they quit running into things and running off the road they'll use that one. :lmao: I'd rather see it done now though. :killingme