South of the Border--party foods

Tidewater

If ya really wanna WOW'em...okay, not the crab dip, I'll save that for another time.

An easy way to bring some fun to a party is make your own bean dip AND chips...the chips really make it and I was gratified to be taught just how lately.

Bean dip is easy....a bit of butter in the pan, some sweet onions (vadalias are best)...sautee until almost caramelized...add in the refried beans (I like Old El Paso brand)...heat well, pour into serving dish...(allow to cool just a bit) then top with sour cream, more freshly chopped onions and shredded cheddar cheese.

For the chips, you can buy the corn tortillas anywhere, either regular or white corn in the grocery store...you cut them into quarters, heat up some vegetable oil and go to it. Make sure you don't either undercook or overcook them...takes just a bit of trying to get it right. Actually the minute they turn color at the edges...take'em out. Drain on paper towels...Sprinkle well with sea salt and enjoy!

Tidewater

bcp said:
or, we all just make the trip down to Tidewaters and eat up her stuff.

PARTY AT TIDES!!!!!

Thanks bcp....havin' the BBQ chicken (fireman's sauce) for kid and me, hubby gets the iccky red stuff on his. A little corn on the cob and what not. Been a very quiet weekend. Amazing! I love it.

Smiles to ya bcp (and you know I have plenty...and will feed ya :huggy: )

PJay

Thanks, Tidewater for sharing your recipe.

Looking forward you sharing your crab dip recipe. :yum:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Tidewater said:
If ya really wanna WOW'em...okay, not the crab dip, I'll save that for another time.

An easy way to bring some fun to a party is make your own bean dip AND chips...the chips really make it and I was gratified to be taught just how lately.

Bean dip is easy....a bit of butter in the pan, some sweet onions (vadalias are best)...sautee until almost caramelized...add in the refried beans (I like Old El Paso brand)...heat well, pour into serving dish...(allow to cool just a bit) then top with sour cream, more freshly chopped onions and shredded cheddar cheese.

For the chips, you can buy the corn tortillas anywhere, either regular or white corn in the grocery store...you cut them into quarters, heat up some vegetable oil and go to it. Make sure you don't either undercook or overcook them...takes just a bit of trying to get it right. Actually the minute they turn color at the edges...take'em out. Drain on paper towels...Sprinkle well with sea salt and enjoy!

Take it a step further and toss some chopped cilantro on the bean dip and splash a bit of taco seasoning on the chips for a festive appearance! :yay:

:dance:

Tidewater

virgovictoria said:
Take it a step further and toss some chopped cilantro on the bean dip and splash a bit of taco seasoning on the chips for a festive appearance! :yay:

:dance:

That sounds great --thanks much for the tip...I'll definitely use it next time.

Tidewater

Homesick said:
Thanks, Tidewater for sharing your recipe.

Looking forward you sharing your crab dip recipe. :yum:

I'll be more than glad to share..this goes over huge at a party and there is NEVER any left. It's like you can't make enough. It's 'spensive though, so when you make it, plan accordingly.

1-1/2 pounds of lump or back fin crab (fresh ONLY--never canned, and better pick it yourself if you can...and always go thru the crabmeat if you buy if for shells)
1 large boxes of cream cheese (softened)
1/2 stick real butter
1/2 sweet small onion, very finely chopped (vadalias work best)
salt & pepper...I prefer sea salt 1-1/2 tsps EACH--and coarse ground pepper
1 TBSP worchestershire sauce (like I actually measure this)
1 tsp Old Bay
and enough good shredded cheddar 2-3 cups to cover the contents of the baking dish (like a glass loaf pan...you know the kind I mean--dimensions 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5-in.--had to look that up--or something close to it),
---------------

Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and sautee the onions until just translucent (soft)...then stir in the cream cheese and heat the goo well, but not to burning. Remove from heat...add all the other spices, stir well, then fold in the crabmeat.. until well incorporated.

Take the glass loaf pan, you can either grease it with shortening very lightly or use the spray Pam stuff, pour in the crab mixture...top well with cheese.

Put in the oven about 375 degrees for about 25 minutes....long enough for the cheese to melt well over the already warm crab mixture.

Take out...serve with whatever you have handy to scoop it out with, potato chips, pretzels, corn chips...veges...anything at all--a spoon! Trust me...nothing will be left.
----------
Thanks for asking.

Tidewater

kwillia said:
I don't eat seafood. I think I'll try this, but substitute boneless chicken breast meat instead.

That will work Kwilla...we used to make chicken dip close to this, but my sister...just HAD to go one better. and it's a fab recipe...play with it, add other stuff, it's great

a little onion powder, marjoram

if you try a really good albacore...use some good dill

there are tons of variations, there are no hard and fast rules, that's the fun of it.
:diva: