What should I do? (from your experience)

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
TIA :flowers:

I got my 5th ding in my windshield on Sunday and this one causes me concern because its not like the others. It is not just a ding chip it is a starburst if that makes sense.

I went to a Windshield repair place and it costs $29.99 per ding or $218 to replace my entire windshield. The one that caused me concern also causes the guy at the shop concern because he says it could split during repair.

If it splits during repair there is no charge to me but they are also not responsible for replacing it. I'm 50/50 on that mainly because I am still up the creek and worse off than before.

He told me that the insurance company would pay for the cost of three to be repaired without a deductible. If it splits they wouldn't pay for the windshield unless I pay the deductible which would be unecessary based on the estimate of a new windshield.

What should I do?

1) Get the 5 dings fixed at $29.99 each at my own cost

2) Get the insurance to fix 3 and pay for the other 2

3) replace the windshield outright

4) Take my chance with the insurance company paying for 3 dings (including the starburst) and see what happens.

5) Something I havent thought of (please share).

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I'd replace the whole windshield. I have horrible windshield luck and have gotten multiple knicks in every windshield of every car I've ever owned. So far only one in the new vehicle, but we've had it for less than a year. I've also had to eventually replace the windshield in every car, except the new one. :ohwell:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Trade in your dinged up windshielded car for an Amish buggy. The Amish don't complain about dings in their windshields. :shrug:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Throw a brick at your windshield and tell tell ins. co. that you were following a dump truck and a big rock came off and hit you in the windshield...Let your comprehensive take care of it with no deductable... :coffee:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I had a ding in mine that with the last snow fall ran across the length of the windshield. Now, do I have it replaced or wait for the cop to give me a fix it ticket. I chose to wait. Now, I hardly notice the crack. I guess Ill fix it one day.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
Love the Ladies Speaking up (Girl Pow-a)

I got the car in Nov 04 and it is a 2005. I have had two of the dings since early 2005 and got another in late 2005 and the final two within the past week.

While I would love to go get the SUV I have always wanted. I can't afford it not to mention the cost of gas from here to PG every day. So I have to repair the windshield.

Nickel that was my question. If I get the entire windshield replace and it happens again I will be so ma-ad...

There should be some sort of public fund that is attached to our vehicle registration fees where they take about $3 from everyone towards this fund. It is not our fault that rocks hit our cars.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
baileydog said:
I had a ding in mine that with the last snow fall ran across the length of the windshield. Now, do I have it replaced or wait for the cop to give me a fix it ticket. I chose to wait. Now, I hardly notice the crack. I guess Ill fix it one day.

See, I usually would wait too, and I did with the other four because they were those chip type dings.

The dealer told me that the car's windshield is the new kind where it will break up into little tiny pieces upon impact versus big chunks of glass and I dont want that to happen to me come one day. So I am kind of concerned.

Has anyone had a starburst ding repaired and it didnt' split?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Just replace the whole windshield. That starburst could end up being a giant crack stretching across your entire windshield come this winter. Besides, I think replacing is cheaper than a possible inspection ticket from MSP.

Pete

Repete
LexiGirl75 said:
See, I usually would wait too, and I did with the other four because they were those chip type dings.

The dealer told me that the car's windshield is the new kind where it will break up into little tiny pieces upon impact versus big chunks of glass and I dont want that to happen to me come one day. So I am kind of concerned.

Has anyone had a starburst ding repaired and it didnt' split?
That new safety glass is the best invention in the last couple years :yay:

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
kom526 said:
Just replace the whole windshield. That starburst could end up being a giant crack stretching across your entire windshield come this winter. Besides, I think replacing is cheaper than a possible inspection ticket from MSP.

That is what I am thinking about doing, it seems the inevitable anyway. The windshield place says it's lifetime guaranteed I need to see what exactly that means.

Thanks everyone :flowers: :huggy: :yay:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
kom526 said:
Inspection tickets are no more than a warning, no fine, and give you ten days to correct the defect.

Drive it until you get the inspection ticket, replace the entire windshield within the ten days and then go by the Barracks and have them sign it off.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Ken King said:
Inspection tickets are no more than a warning, no fine, and give you ten days to correct the defect.

Drive it until you get the inspection ticket, replace the entire windshield within the ten days and then go by the Barracks and have them sign it off.

This is how I feel about it. I had the starburst that had been fixed 3 years ago. So I guess it lasted. But like I said the snow mixed with the heat of the defroster this last time was all just right and WHAM, I get a run in the windshield.

willie

LexiGirl75 said:
That is what I am thinking about doing, it seems the inevitable anyway. The windshield place says it's lifetime guaranteed I need to see what exactly that means.
They aren't guaranteeing against any road hazards, just quality of install and materials.

If the dings aren't tearing up your wiper blades, I'd wait until they really spread big as it appears it won't be long before you get 5 more.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!
willie said:
They aren't guaranteeing against any road hazards, just quality of install and materials.

If the dings aren't tearing up your wiper blades, I'd wait until they really spread big as it appears it won't be long before you get 5 more.

No, they are not causing any problems.

See, and that is a major concern. I don't want to pay $218 just for another starburst to happen within a year. That would make me so mad. They are unpredictable and unpreventable.

When are they going to make anti-ding windshields, I assume things have gotten better but it still is a big cost for us.

morganj614

LexiGirl75 said:
No, they are not causing any problems.
See, and that is a major concern. I don't want to pay $218 just for another starburst to happen within a year. That would make me so mad. They are unpredictable and unpreventable.

When are they going to make anti-ding windshields, I assume things have gotten better but it still is a big cost for us.

Have your robot invent it :yay: