Involvement at Church

What is your level of involvement with the local church?

• I never attend church.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I attend on special occasions (holiday services, etc.)

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I attend from time to time, but not regularly.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I don't attend weekly, but I attend services often.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I attend services weekly.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I'm at the church almost every time the doors are open.

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MDindef

I was interested to find out what the general level of church attendance and involvement was among the members of this board. Please let me know by the poll and any comments you may have.

Some information on my part: I'm Baptist, and attend regularly Sunday AM & PM, as well as programs on Wednesday night. I'm an ordained deacon, licensed minister, and sunday school teacher. I would be interested to hear your comments or questions.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I only go to church when there's a family occasion - baptisms, confirmations, like that. But I really should go more often, even though I don't believe in God. I enjoy the sermons and find most of them very uplifting.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I only attend when forced to, due to circumstances.

I can't afford the three basket shakedown on a regular basis.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I've been to almost all the churches within reasonable driving distance (STM & CAL Co.) from home. I dropped out of organized religion (again) 2 years ago. Now I'm an ex-Catholic and an ex-Baptist. :lol:

I'm still a Christian; still believe in God, but man has messed up God's word and now caters to the masses instead.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by kwillia
:lol: My husband takes my kids to church (I don't do church)... he came home one Sunday and said the priest said he was not happy to see all the 'ones' in the basket collections and he thought they all needs to dig a little deeper for the 5's 10's and 20's. :rolleyes:
I hope he told him if they weren't out corking alterboys and paying out hush money all the time they wouldn't need so much cash.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
That sermon is soooo old

Originally posted by kwillia
:lol: My husband takes my kids to church (I don't do church)... he came home one Sunday and said the priest said he was not happy to see all the 'ones' in the basket collections and he thought they all needs to dig a little deeper for the 5's 10's and 20's. :rolleyes:
I've heard that since I was a child and in almost every church I've attended.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by Sharon

I'm still a Christian; still believe in God, but man has messed up God's word and now caters to the masses instead.

:yeahthat:

Ain't that the truth!

MDindef

Originally posted by Sharon

...in the meantime, are you still actively pursuing a relationship with God and staying in the Bible outside of church? And what is your success? I would personally find it difficult to "live the life" outside of the fellowship. Perhaps it's because I'm weak.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by MDindef
I would personally find it difficult to "live the life" outside of the fellowship. Perhaps it's because I'm weak.
That surprises me you feel that way. I don't know you in person but I get an impression of an honest, moral person - church or no church.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
But I really should go more often, even though I don't believe in God. I enjoy the sermons and find most of them very uplifting.

Kinda like going to a seafood place and ordering steak.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by SmallTown
You might like it, but not getting the full impact of what is offered :smile:
Mmmm...I disagree. Sometimes I think I've gotten more out of a sermon than the so-called "faithful".

K

Kain99

We attend Church weekly, My kids attend The Teen Group and Royal Rangers.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Living with/without Fellowship

Originally posted by MDindef
...in the meantime, are you still actively pursuing a relationship with God and staying in the Bible outside of church? And what is your success? I would personally find it difficult to "live the life" outside of the fellowship. Perhaps it's because I'm weak.
You're not alone in this respect. There are a lot of people at my church that meet regularly on many weeknights, and of course Sundays - all day, even after church services are over.

They get together at Church Suppers, Youth for Christ meetings, Family Planning, and AA meetings, etc.

It's like a large "family", I'd guess you'd call it. I belong to the Church Choir, I'm on the Board of Trustees, and I go to Mens' Club meetings.
During Church services, I do Layreading, act as an Usher if they need me, and have even assisted my Pastor in Communion.

Your level of involvement is what you feel comfortable with.

MDindef

Originally posted by vraiblonde
That surprises me you feel that way. I don't know you in person but I get an impression of an honest, moral person - church or no church.

Thanks for the confidence. I try to keep those qualities, but as a human being, just like many others, I'm susceptible to failures. That is why the truth of the Word and God's forgiveness is so important to me.

...but I'll save the preaching for the pulpit...and you all are invited!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Kain99
What church MD? I'd love to hear ya preach. :smile:
:smile: Yes, I would too!
My Pastor likes to inject the historical side to it as well; St Pauls is, after all the name of our Church in Lusby, so many of his sermons teach us about St Pauls' letters to the early churches in Corinth, Galatia, and Phillipia(?).

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
You 're not alone, bro.....

Originally posted by bluto
I used to be an altar boy, used to do readings during Masses, used to run the shakedowns with the collection baskets, received all the sacraments I was eligible for, etc.... nowadays, if I even try to touch the handle on a church door there is a bright blue flash and I get a massive shock and a nice crispy burn.
:shrug:
A lot of people felt that seperation from their church. I ain't gonna try to preach to ya, I'm not qualified, and besides, I think I've made enough of of an @$$ of myself trying to discuss what I've learned so far on here anyway.

I guess what they haven't figured out yet, is that the church is supposed to draw people into them, not push them away with their hypocritical practices.

We had an interesting class discussion a few months back which showed that something like 65 to 70% of Americans do not know or care enough to learn about the Word of God!

Wow! That surprised me to no end.