Went up to Atlantic Cycle today

Pete

Repete
To look for a helmet. Of course their price was astronomical ($105 more than what I just ordered it for) But I sat on the Honda ST1300 :faint: that is a nice bike.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pete said:
To look for a helmet. Of course their price was astronomical ($105 more than what I just ordered it for) But I sat on the Honda ST1300 :faint: that is a nice bike.
Have heard a lot of talk about the ST1300.. one of the top Sport Tourers out there.. you know.. a YOUNG man's touring bike, unlike the 'oldwing..
and what kind of helmet?? Looking to replace my backup 1/2 helmet with another full face..

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
Have heard a lot of talk about the ST1300.. one of the top Sport Tourers out there.. you know.. a YOUNG man's touring bike, unlike the 'oldwing..
and what kind of helmet?? Looking to replace my backup 1/2 helmet with another full face..
KBC FFR, they wanted $285 :rolleyes: I found it for $176 with free shipping. Basically I wanted ot try one on before I paid that much. If they were reasonable I would have bought one. I tried the HJC and it was flimsey feeling and cheap.

The ST is a nice bike. I was suprised how comfy. It looks like you would be hunched over, not the case. The sales guy said the Yamaha FJR1300 is the hot ticket. It is basically the same, $500 cheaper with ABS but not linked brakes. But you have to order that bike. I am not to hot on the way the rear looks, that Euro ass in the air look but it has whopping 147hp and 99ftlbs of torque.

They had a used oldwing 05 for $16,500 but I am not sure I would get used to that much plastic :lol:

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I think I just saw the ST1300 today.. thought it was a Duc when it went by, but looking at the pictures on line I'm sure that was the bike I saw today.

The ST and FJ are both VERY good touring bikes.. haven't heard much negative about either one. Will they let you take one out for a test ride??

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
I think I just saw the ST1300 today.. thought it was a Duc when it went by, but looking at the pictures on line I'm sure that was the bike I saw today.

The ST and FJ are both VERY good touring bikes.. haven't heard much negative about either one. Will they let you take one out for a test ride??
Test ride? Atlantic Cycle? :killingme

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pete said:
Test ride? Atlantic Cycle? :killingme
Tried to talk BG into stopping in so I could take the 1200ST for a test ride on Friday.. no dice..

Few bikes I'd like to take out.. the ST and FJ.. the 1200ST/RT and the K1200GT/RS.. think I'll be looking again in a year or so, and would like to start riding them now, see which one fits me best.

I'd hate to buy a bike without at least a SHORT test ride.. Be a bear, drive two miles down the road AFTER you bought the bike, and your back goes into spasm's, or your hip cramps up (happened to me sitting on a bike in the parking lot), or find out at a stoplight that you can't unfold your legs to put your feet down..

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
Tried to talk BG into stopping in so I could take the 1200ST for a test ride on Friday.. no dice..

Few bikes I'd like to take out.. the ST and FJ.. the 1200ST/RT and the K1200GT/RS.. think I'll be looking again in a year or so, and would like to start riding them now, see which one fits me best.

I'd hate to buy a bike without at least a SHORT test ride.. Be a bear, drive two miles down the road AFTER you bought the bike, and your back goes into spasm's, or your hip cramps up (happened to me sitting on a bike in the parking lot), or find out at a stoplight that you can't unfold your legs to put your feet down..
I doubt you could get a test ride there. I would like to ride one for sure. I love my RK, but a sporty bike would be nice sometimes. I wish I could afford both :lol:

Vince

Tried to replace the face shield on my helmet. Bought the dayum thing at Atlantic Cycle and they don't carry replacement shields. What good are they? :shrug:

Pete

Repete
Vince said:
Tried to replace the face shield on my helmet. Bought the dayum thing at Atlantic Cycle and they don't carry replacement shields. What good are they? :shrug:
The internet is a wonderful thing.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pete said:
I doubt you could get a test ride there. I would like to ride one for sure. I love my RK, but a sporty bike would be nice sometimes. I wish I could afford both :lol:
:yeahthat: I know a few people that have a stable of bikes, depending on their mood, or the type of ride they are going on, they pick the bike of the day and go.. I don't think I'll ever have that problem.

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
:yeahthat: I know a few people that have a stable of bikes, depending on their mood, or the type of ride they are going on, they pick the bike of the day and go.. I don't think I'll ever have that problem.
Actually I could buy it and have 2, it's not the $$ so much is the idea of 3 vehicle payments and 2 bikes in the garage. :lol:

Boy wants a 4 wheeler SOME KIND OF BAD. I think a tiny off road bike would be better. There might be a RW80 in his future. :whistle:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Pete said:
Actually I could buy it and have 2, it's not the $$ so much is the idea of 3 vehicle payments and 2 bikes in the garage. :lol:

Boy wants a 4 wheeler SOME KIND OF BAD. I think a tiny off road bike would be better. There might be a RW80 in his future. :whistle:

You should see if my boy would part with his Bombardier. He never uses it. It's probably way too much toy for Boy though.

Pete

Repete
cattitude said:
You should see if my boy would part with his Bombardier. He never uses it. It's probably way too much toy for Boy though.
I am not that fond of 4 wheelers especially for kids. Having 4 wheels luls them into false sense of security because they "think" they can't tip over and they are much more difficulty to handle.

He is going to ride the neighbors dirt bike today. He is nervous and asking me 100 questions about shifting and balance :lol:

His Bombardier is no doubt too big.

Pete

Repete
cattitude said:
Yeah, DS 650...but it's fast. :biggrin:
Oh yea :lol: The thing about 4 wheelers is it is really easy for kids to outrun their cababilities because they don't worry about tipping over.

ylexot

Super Genius
Pete said:
The sales guy said the Yamaha FJR1300 is the hot ticket.
Mmmmmmm, just looked that up (sorry, don't really know my bikes yet)...I like it! Might have to put that one on the top of the list for my next bike. The Triumph Speed Triple may have to wait.

F

Fallen

Pete said:
To look for a helmet. Of course their price was astronomical ($105 more than what I just ordered it for)
Atlantic cycle strikes me as expensive. Especially with the big new building.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
ylexot said:
Mmmmmmm, just looked that up (sorry, don't really know my bikes yet)...I like it! Might have to put that one on the top of the list for my next bike. The Triumph Speed Triple may have to wait.
These two bikes are the ones pushing BMW up in the Horsepower curve..

They used to have an unwritten law that they would never go beyond 100 HP, and they always had the best sport Touring Bikes.. but now with these tourer's they can't compete at 89 and 90 HP (even their big luxury tourer K1200LT only has 90 HP) Now they've busted out with a whole new line of Touring bikes touting 150+ HP.. I REALLY want to get out and test drive one of the new bikes, but I'll probaly stick with the Boxer because it is so easy to work on.. The new Boxer engine is up to 112 HP, up from 89 last year...

Like I said above, I would LOVE to take the ST and the FJ out for a ride, to see how it stacks up, you never know which one you're going to like the most unless you ride it, but as of right now, BMW are the only dealers that let you go out on unlimited test rides..

ylexot

Super Genius
See, power isn't much of an issue for me. They all have more than enough to do something stupid with. I'm more interested in value/reliability/handling (which is why I'll probably never buy a Harley :wink: ).

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
These two bikes are the ones pushing BMW up in the Horsepower curve..

They used to have an unwritten law that they would never go beyond 100 HP, and they always had the best sport Touring Bikes.. but now with these tourer's they can't compete at 89 and 90 HP (even their big luxury tourer K1200LT only has 90 HP) Now they've busted out with a whole new line of Touring bikes touting 150+ HP.. I REALLY want to get out and test drive one of the new bikes, but I'll probaly stick with the Boxer because it is so easy to work on.. The new Boxer engine is up to 112 HP, up from 89 last year...

Like I said above, I would LOVE to take the ST and the FJ out for a ride, to see how it stacks up, you never know which one you're going to like the most unless you ride it, but as of right now, BMW are the only dealers that let you go out on unlimited test rides..
I think BMW has just about peaked the power output on the Boxer before they shake it apart. I suspect their numbers too. If you look on their websites when they list specs they put 98 octane gas because they have stepped up the compression ratio. The next step is racing fuel, which costs $6+ a gallon and is not available. Not really right calling something 112HP with fuel that is not really available.

If you do a head to head with the R1200 bikes the ST and FJR have everything the BMW's have for thousands less. The K1200GT bikes really don't have anything on the ST or FJR either for $6K more. Too me, given the Boxer is the ugliest looking motor out there with the heads sticking out a foot on both sides and it is $5K more it would be a no brainer ST would be my choice.