Lipitor

Nanny Pam

Lipitor

I have been taking Lipitor for about 4 or 5 years. I knew, after reading the literature, that one of the side effects were muscle soreness. I just never dreamt it could be so bad.

I guess it was about 8 months into taking it I began to notice that I was extremely sore all the time. My legs felt as though they wouldn’t go anymore. They felt like I had concrete blocks attached to each leg. I tried to continue to do all the things I enjoyed, but it was really killing me to keep going. I couldn’t hardly walk anymore. After last year going to the race, I just told myself to throw in the towel and give up going to the race. I really thought I had fibromyalgia (sp). I just couldn’t believe it was the Lipitor.

Well it was! I got really pissed off about all the things I was missing. I quit taking it (yes…I told my Doctor what I did) about a 7 or 8 weeks ago. I began to notice a difference within days! Within 2 weeks, I was almost myself again. My life has changed so much. I can walk again. I feel like a completely new person.

I am posting this as an FYI just in case anyone is experiencing these same problems with Lipitor. I encourage you talk to your Doctor about an alternative medicine. You will be glad you did.

Anyone else experience these muscle issues with Lipitor?

SamSpade

Nanny Pam said:
Lipitor
Anyone else experience these muscle issues with Lipitor?

I took it several years ago, had the muscle pain and finally mentioned it to my doctor. He said "ok, stop taking it". I thought, jeez why didn't *I* think of that?

I guess what I didn't realize was that there were LOTS of alternatives to Lipitor, and I can't remember what he prescribed after that except that it also helped my headaches as well - which I was getting BEFORE Lipitor.

Been there, done that - good luck, I know how you felt.

marianne

My FIL had severe heart problems supposedly as a result of Lipitor. He was involved in a big class action lawsuit against the company.

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
SamSpade said:
I took it several years ago, had the muscle pain and finally mentioned it to my doctor. He said "ok, stop taking it". I thought, jeez why didn't *I* think of that?

I guess what I didn't realize was that there were LOTS of alternatives to Lipitor, and I can't remember what he prescribed after that except that it also helped my headaches as well - which I was getting BEFORE Lipitor.

Been there, done that - good luck, I know how you felt.
I took it for a long time and the same thing as Nanny Pam. I stopped doing stuff, wouldn't go anywhere and was just miserable. I stopped taking it and he put me on Crestor. Same results. I just figured I would be dead in about a year without taking the meds so I stopped taking everything.Last time I went to Dr, my clohesterol was way over 400 and he yelled at me for stopping it. :lalala: He put me on Tricor, and I am feeling 100% better. I ache a little but not like I was. I am actually out working in the yard now, which I haven't done in two yrs. Ask him about the Tricor and see if you can take that.

Nanny Pam

FancyBelle said:
I took it for a long time and the same thing as Nanny Pam. I stopped doing stuff, wouldn't go anywhere and was just miserable. I stopped taking it and he put me on Crestor. Same results. I just figured I would be dead in about a year without taking the meds so I stopped taking everything.Last time I went to Dr, my clohesterol was way over 400 and he yelled at me for stopping it. :lalala: He put me on Tricor, and I am feeling 100% better. I ache a little but not like I was. I am actually out working in the yard now, which I haven't done in two yrs. Ask him about the Tricor and see if you can take that.

Before I even started taking Lipitor my cholesterol was 215. The only reason he wanted me on it was because the family history of heart problems. With the Lipitor it went to 130! It droped like a rock, but so did I. I just had blood work done to have it checked.
Thanks FancyBelle for the Tricor info. I'll ask the Doctor about that. However, I will not take it if it makes me sore. I never want to go back to that way of living.Thanks for the responses! :huggy:

Lilypad

Thanks Nanny Pam!

There is a great website for folks to check out meds..the good, bad and ugly!
http://www.askapatient.com/index.asp
I'm involved in the EMS thang, I am shocked at how many folks are taking meds without knowing side effects..
Educate yoselves folks :yay: or ask the pharmacist for a printout on your meds!

Cletus_Vandam

Are you taking 10mg tabs, or 20 mg tabs? I was on the 10's and then went to 20's and had really bad muscle aches. Needless to say, I went back to the 10's.

Nanny Pam

Cletus_Vandam said:
Are you taking 10mg tabs, or 20 mg tabs? I was on the 10's and then went to 20's and had really bad muscle aches. Needless to say, I went back to the 10's.

20's.
I will ask the Doc about the 10's, but as soon as 1 thing starts to ache...they are going in the trash. I love the new me! :dance:

bcp

In My Opinion
Lilypad said:
There is a great website for folks to check out meds..the good, bad and ugly!
http://www.askapatient.com/index.asp
I'm involved in the EMS thang, I am shocked at how many folks are taking meds without knowing side effects..
Educate yoselves folks :yay: or ask the pharmacist for a printout on your meds!

Thanks for the website.
I take Zocor.
I have been fighting severe pain in my shoulder lately, along with pain in my legs and feet. I went to the surgeon last week again and he said that although I was showing damage to 4 disks in the S region, it should not be causing the pain I was having.
so, nothing would be done at this point.

I read the site you gave and saw that all of the pains and other little symptoms that I am having right now are common complaints from people that also take Zocor.

So, thanks to you posting that site, I will be contacting my cardiologist tomorrow and discussing this situation. We can either try something different or I will just come off of the statins all together.

Cletus_Vandam

Nanny Pam said:
20's.
I will ask the Doc about the 10's, but as soon as 1 thing starts to ache...they are going in the trash. I love the new me! :dance:

Give the 10's a try. There was a night and day difference between the way I felt on them...