How was your weekend?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
A good friend and I managed to get away for a little road trip this weekend. We'll start off with the "road pics".
Across the Potomac on 301, through Fredericksburg to Wilderness. Over to Rt. 29 through Charlottesville then south on the blue Ridge Parkway to Buena Vista VA. Friday we rode the Parkway to Bedford VA and toured the D Day Memorial
VERY impressive. The beach section of the memorial included little water jets around the bronze statues to simulate bullets hitting the water.
We looked up an Aunt of mine (actually first cousin once removed, I think) that lives in the Elks National home (also in Bedford) and had lunch with her.
Then it was back to Buena Vista VA for the TTMC annual "Big Bash" Wasn't much going on Friday evening, so we decided to do a little photo op on the Parkway. The idea was to sit by the road at an overlook with the camera doing video while the other person screams by on their bike. My friend went first and flys by about 80 in 2nd gear (did I mention there was NO traffic on the Parkway during the week?). He comes back all freaked out, seems there was a turkey in the road just past the overlook (no car traffic anyway).
Saturday's schedule was breakfast, bike blessing, a scenic ride with about 80 bikes, bike rodeo with "slow ride", "bike bash", "thunder dice" (you had to use your exhaust to blow 2 Styrofoam dice), "Oh sh1t! my old mans home!" (boots off, lay on a mat. Girl runs up and screams Get up! my old mans home! Then this huge guy covered in tattoos would scream at you while you tried to put you boots on, hop through the window start your bike and drive across the finish line) and the ever popular "Bite the Weenie". Then it was dinner, bike show, live music and dancing.
Sunday it was back on the Parkway and Skyline Drive for home. We saw a storm heading our way so we suited up at the Rt.33 exit on the Skyline. Before we finished dressing, rain, hail and lightning were coming down so we waited out the storm at the ranger station. Unfortunately, both we and the storm were headed east so we caught up to it at the base of the mountain. Rode through the weather to Orange VA. for lunch and let the storm get ahead of us. Clear skies the rest of the way home.

Last edited:
Nice pix. I never knew about that memorial. I'll have to go check it out some day. Any more realistic and there would have to be blood in the water.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
desertrat said:
Nice pix. I never knew about that memorial. I'll have to go check it out some day. Any more realistic and there would have to be blood in the water.
Bedford VA had more residents die on D Day than any other place in the U.S. The whole county had about 3,000 residents back then.