Protein shakes

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
If you're into them, Zero Carb Isopure is a good one :yay:
http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134407

I made the shake in my smoothie maker and dumped in a handful of frozen strawberries - a yummy, filling breakfast for about 250 fat-free calories.

I will have to try them, then. My situation always calls for new sources of protein, and most protein shakes and drinks and nutrition bars are absolutely horrible. And I'd know. I had to live on them for weeks at a time. Generally, I try to get protein from meats and cheese and fish, but protein shakes give me what I need without the bulk and calories. They're an outstanding way for me to maintain weight.

SamSpade

morganj614 said:
Does it make you feel full for a while?

Usually they do. What sucks about them is some of them taste so bad, they don't make you feel full AT ALL - because ain't no way you gonna drink 'em. For me, they also provide a quick boost of energy, the way that SUGAR and carbs often do for other people.

If I didn't crave the taste of meat - and actually liked some of these drinks - I could probably live off them.

morganj614

SamSpade said:
Usually they do. What sucks about them is some of them taste so bad, they don't make you feel full AT ALL - because ain't no way you gonna drink 'em. For me, they also provide a quick boost of energy, the way that SUGAR and carbs often do for other people.

If I didn't crave the taste of meat - and actually liked some of these drinks - I could probably live off them.

I haven't found one yet I can stomach. You are correct, they taste like crap. I need to add more protein to my diet and gym routine and I need to stay low carb. I wonder if I can find samples online before ordering?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
SamSpade said:
most protein shakes and drinks and nutrition bars are absolutely horrible.
This is whey protein, not soy, and it makes a huge taste difference. Soy is just nasty and leaves that weird backtaste in your mouth for hours.

SamSpade

vraiblonde said:
This is whey protein, not soy, and it makes a huge taste difference. Soy is just nasty and leaves that weird backtaste in your mouth for hours.

I don't think I've ever had anything with soy protein. One of the supplements I used to drink, I know is Whey Protein - because it says "Whey Protein" in giant letters on the outside. It's something like double chocolate whatever, but it's still awful.

The folks at my support group swear by mixing some of these unflavored protein drinks with Crystal Light fruit flavors. I really should take them at their word, but I'm not generally crazy about fruit drinks, and most of these shake mixes dissolve very poorly in anything but very cold water.

I wish they'd make something that dissolved in hot coffee.

marianne

I love drinking shakes for breakfast and am interested in trying something like this. But, as I'm nearly always on the run, I tend to drink "pre-packaged" shakes like slimfast more than anything else. Are there shakes other than boost and slimfast that you can buy in a can? Can you mix up a batch of protein shakes, store them in individual tupperware containers, and drink them a couple days later?

marianne

SamSpade said:

Don't cross shakes off the list the list completely. It used to be that I only liked one type of shake that required a bit of preparation: it was a powder that I blended with ice and a banana. That was all I could drink. After a little while, I could drink it without the banana. And after that I could drink it without it being ice cold. Now, I drink nearly any flavor shake served warm daily - I live off them. Consider it tolerance building.