2006 Natural Resources Photo Contest Underway

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
ANNAPOLIS – The Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is now accepting entries for the 2006 Maryland Natural Resource Photo Contest. Sponsored by Ritz Camera Centers and Boater’s World Marine Centers, the contest runs through September 8.

Amateur and professional photographers can participate in a chance to win a share of over $1,000 in prizes and a chance to have their outdoor images published in print and online. Winning entries will be featured in the winter issue of The Maryland Natural Resource magazine and the 2007 DNR calendar.

“Whether it’s wildlife or waterways, Maryland is replete with countless beautiful images for photographers to capture,” says DNR Secretary C. Ronald Franks.

Last year, John Cardamone of Ellicott City bested over 160 photographers to take top honors with his photograph “Laughing Horse,” a photo depicting a wild pony on the wind-swept beach at Assateague State Park. Second place went to Steve Harman of Baltimore, for his exceptional close-up of a frog entitled “Golden Eye.” Third place went to last year’s contest winner, Dan LaRusso of Berwyn Heights, for his sprawling “Western Maryland Landscape.”

Photographs should be of natural resources and/or outdoor recreational in theme and must have been taken in Maryland. Photographers may enter up to three entries for a $10 entry fee. Photos cannot be more than two years old or previously published. Non-residents may also participate as long as the photos were taken in Maryland.

Official rules and contest entry forms are available at any Maryland Ritz Camera Center, Boater’s World Marine Center in Maryland, or Maryland state parks. They can also be found on the DNR website at www.dnr.maryland.gov/photocontest/

Lilypad

Hmmmmm

Just curious as to why there is an entry fee of $10 for up to 3 photos with an additional $3 for each additional entry beyond 3??
Winning photos will be featured in the 2007 Maryland Natural Resource Calendar, as well as the winter issue of the Maryland Natural Resource magazine...are these free?
Seems odd to charge folks for entering a contest.
Is the money donated to a "save a __ " program?

Danzig

I like it too, but it seems to be missing something. The background is so plain.

I just missed my "one in a million picture" the other day. I was trying to get a picture of the V-22 Osprey in the background of a real osprey or at least flying behind the nest with a Osprey in it. I was watching a guy fight a skate and just missed the V-22. Today I got a Osprey in flight with a jet, but it just ain't the same.