Discogram

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Anyone ever have this procedure done? On their cervical spine?

If so, what should I expect? And has anyone had theirs performed by Dr. Timothy Eckel(s?) of Patuxent Radiology in Annapolis?

TIA :flowers:

Lilypad

Mmmmm, okay ya really wanna know??

Discograms are also performed to assist in preoperative planning for candidates for a lumbar spinal fusion...is this what you know it to be??

You will be given medication to help you relax. A local anesthetic is applied to numb the area of the back to be tested. A long needle is inserted from the back. It goes into the nucleus pulposus (the very center of the intervertebral disc). The fluoroscope makes it possible for a doctor to see on the screen your spine and the needle as it moves. The doctor watches the screen as the needle is inserted to make sure it goes into the correct disc space. Once the needle is inside the right disc, a small amount of fluid is injected to cause an increase in pressure. More than one level is tested to determine which levels are normal. If this test causes pain that is similar to your back or leg pain, it is a good indication that the disc is causing problems. Dye is inserted into the disc, and then X-rays are taken. Commonly, a CT scan is also done to see a cross section of the disc. The procedure lasts about 40 minutes.

Don't know Dr. Eckel(s?), sounds cutting edge!

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Lilypad said:
Discograms are also performed to assist in preoperative planning for candidates for a lumbar spinal fusion...is this what you know it to be??

You will be given medication to help you relax. A local anesthetic is applied to numb the area of the back to be tested. A long needle is inserted from the back. It goes into the nucleus pulposus (the very center of the intervertebral disc). The fluoroscope makes it possible for a doctor to see on the screen your spine and the needle as it moves. The doctor watches the screen as the needle is inserted to make sure it goes into the correct disc space. Once the needle is inside the right disc, a small amount of fluid is injected to cause an increase in pressure. More than one level is tested to determine which levels are normal. If this test causes pain that is similar to your back or leg pain, it is a good indication that the disc is causing problems. Dye is inserted into the disc, and then X-rays are taken. Commonly, a CT scan is also done to see a cross section of the disc. The procedure lasts about 40 minutes.

Don't know Dr. Eckel(s?), sounds cutting edge!

all in all, this sounds about right on the money- from what I've been told... but for the c-spine... for potential neck surgery and/or options... thanks...

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Follow Up

Okay, I had the Discogram - here is the skinny in the event anyone else has to have it done...

I survived my procedure on Monday... I was started on an IV then knocked out after having my neck extended in a "just-so" position...

I had three discs/areas (above and below the cervical discs) in question, therefore three needles, with flouroscoping dye and fluid were injected into the front of my neck, next to my carotid, to recreate the pain and show the images of what is going on with the cervical discs in the back of my neck.

Apparently one of the discs/areas is fine, one is not so good and the last disc is completely done in/bad/finito...

It has been hard to swallow as the areas around where the needles were inserted have been sore (kind of like how an IV would have felt -only in the front of your neck, x 3) and the injury site of the neck is sore, as they had to "recreate" the pain to determine the level of damage. :dead: :lmao:

All in all, though, if anyone ever had to have this procedure done, Annapolis Radiology seems to have their shiat together and completely had me prepared for what to expect... :yay:

Next, I follow up with my regular ortho to find out what we do with the problem disc...

So.... there you go....

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Discogram? This sounds like some kind of dancer that shows up at your house or work and performs '70's music for you. :biggrin: