Ekkkkkkkk ticks-

Lilypad

A School Nurse has written the info below-good enough to share-

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with tweezers.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball.
Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

bcp

In My Opinion
The Best Way to Remove a Tick

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The possibility of tick-borne illnesses gives a sense of urgency to the topic. In chat here at DrGreene.com, a mother asked me about the best method for getting ticks off our kids (and animals). People in the room had heard of many methods: applying rubbing alcohol, smothering with Vaseline, painting with fingernail polish, twisting clockwise (or counterclockwise), and touching with a hot match. Though these methods are popular, they are not the best. Use tweezers to grasp the tick as near to the mouthparts (and as close to the skin) as possible. Use gentle, steady, straight force to pull the tick out. The site should then be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected with alcohol or another disinfectant.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font]
What Is the Best Way to Remove a Tick? http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/images/homepg/28035.jpg

Using a pair of fine-tipped tweezers, grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible and pull it straight out until it releases its hold on the skin. To reduce the chance of contact with the bacterium, try not to crush the tick's body. After removing the tick, thoroughly cleanse the bite area with soap and water.

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

Los Angeles County West Vector & Vector Borne Disease Control District

Tick Removal

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]What is the best way to remove a tick?[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]
[/font] To remove attached ticks, use the following procedure:
1. Use fine-tipped tweezers or shield your fingers with a tissue, paper towel, or rubber gloves.

2. Grasp the tick as close to the skin surface as possible and pull upward with steady, even pressure. Do not twist or jerk the tick; this may cause the mouthparts to break off and remain in the skin. (If this happens, remove mouthparts with tweezers. Consult your healthcare provider if infection occurs.)

What is the best way to remove a tick?
http://www.bsu.edu/physiology/media/27850/tick_brochure_fig7.jpg
Recent research indicates that some traditional methods of tick removal are ineffective and may even be dangerous. Medically acceptable procedures for tick removal are as follows: grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible with a pair of tweezers and apply an even, upward pulling force. If tweezers are unavailable and fingers must be used, they should be protected by disposable rubber gloves or, at least, facial tissue. Do not jerk or twist the tick; this action might tear the head and mouth parts from the tick's body and expose the feeding wound to the tick's body fluids.

What should I do if I find a tick on my skin?

If you find a tick imbedded in your skin, it's best to let your doctor remove it. If you can't get in to see your doctor right away, you can try to remove it yourself. The best way to remove a tick is to grab it gently as close to your skin as possible with fine-tipped tweezers. Don't crush the tick. Pull slowly until it lets go. Don't twist or jerk the tick when pulling it. After you remove the tick, apply an antiseptic to the bite area and wash your hands with soap and water.

Hot match heads, cigarettes, alcohol, gasoline, petroleum jelly and other substances don't work for removing ticks. If you remove a tick, put it in a covered jar or an envelope to save it. If you get sick later on, you can take the tick to the doctor to be identified.

Just to quote a few health professionals websites.
looks like the best method is still to pull it out.

ShaNK

I remember when I would go in the woods as a kid and be covered in those puppies. I took them off myself with my fingers, most of the time not getting the whole thing... I'm still okay. I think :confused:

DQ2B

ShaNK said:
I remember when I would go in the woods as a kid and be covered in those puppies. I took them off myself with my fingers, most of the time not getting the whole thing... I'm still okay. I think :confused:

I still do this. Just yank the suckers off, never had a problem.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Thanks Lilypad, I think I'll give it a try. My dog has so much hair that half the time I wind up yanking him bald before grabbing hold of the tick.

Christy

b*tch rocket
migtig said:
Thanks Lilypad, I think I'll give it a try. My dog has so much hair that half the time I wind up yanking him bald before grabbing hold of the tick.

DO NOT use that method for removing ticks! That school nurse should be flogged. :smack: Removing a tick using that method causes the tick to regurgitate, which significantly increases your risk of catching lyme and a gazillion other tick borne illnesses, which is nothing to mess with. In people or in animals.

Lilypad

Christygurl-

Stoooppp! You have actually seen a tick regurgitate? :faint:
Last time I checked, ticks sucked-not spit...comeon whos zooming who?