Can you recomend a cleaner...

Foxhound

Finishing last
for rims? In particular, motocycle rims. I have a lot of brakedust buildup on my front rims. Already tried one type of cleaner and it didn't do a very good job. I don't want to waste any more money trying them all. Any help is appreciated.

Foxhound

Finishing last
Not realy looking for a polish but something to deal with grimy buildup. Will the glym do this?

Ponytail

You have to be careful with cleaners on motorcycle rims. it depends HIGHLY on what kind of rims you have. Do you have the stock chrome rim with spokes? The spokes are not chromed on stock rims and the finish is easily damaged with the wrong kind of cleaner. I turned mine black on the old sportster.

Don't use the acid cleanser on aluminum rims if they are clear coated or chromed.

S100 is great for breaking thorugh brake dust. That's the ONLY cleaner I use on my bike. It works for everything. I use it on the rims of my truck too.

Eagle One products work GREAT, IF you select the right one. You can damage the finish if you use the wrong one.

Ponytail

cattitude said:
http://www.eagleone.com/

for shine, Mothers is a good product.

Do you use ceramic pads? Less dust.

You don't want to use ceramic pads for motorcycles. And unless you have the rotors that are made for ceramic pads, and drive your vehicle in such a manner that creates enough heat to continually "set" the ceramic pad, you will warp the rotors AND/OR develop a hideous squeal. Most people don't drive their cars hard enough to benefit from ceramic pads. I know too many people that have gone the ceramic pad route, and have promptly gone back to semi-metalics.

Vince

Ponytail said:
You don't want to use ceramic pads for motorcycles. And unless you have the rotors that are made for ceramic pads, and drive your vehicle in such a manner that creates enough heat to continually "set" the ceramic pad, you will warp the rotors AND/OR develop a hideous squeal. Most people don't drive their cars hard enough to benefit from ceramic pads. I know too many people that have gone the ceramic pad route, and have promptly gone back to semi-metalics.
What's best to keep the dust off the rotors? Everytime I get a black dust build up on my front brake rotor, I get a squeal. Clean the rotor off and no squeal. :confused: Maybe time for new rotor and pads?

Ponytail

Never heard of brake dust build up on a rotor before. Is the rotor pitted?? that's about the only way I can see that happening. if that is the case, have it turned down, or replace it.

Vince

Ponytail said:
Never heard of brake dust build up on a rotor before. Is the rotor pitted?? that's about the only way I can see that happening. if that is the case, have it turned down, or replace it.
Rotor may be pitted and stuff is collecting on it. May just replace pads and rotor or just wait until next year and get a new bike. Super Glide Custom. :clap:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Ponytail said:

I wasn't sure about bikes. :lmao:

But they're better for the vette.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
elaine said:
Warm, soapy water.
That doesn't work on my rims. I have built-up sludge on both of my front rims, but not the back. I've tried everything possible to get them clean (just in the corners) and nothing works. :frown:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Chasey_Lane said:
That doesn't work on my rims. I have built-up sludge on both of my front rims, but not the back. I've tried everything possible to get them clean (just in the corners) and nothing works. :frown:

Works great for me. Maybe you're waiting too long to clean your wheels. :shrug: You should also remove them to clean and wax them once a year.

Foxhound

Finishing last
Well I spent most of the day with a wire brush, the rim cleaner I had already bought. I then polished the smooth area with a classic cloth. One side is completely done the other will get finished on the next nice day. I had to take the dog for a ride after I finished the first side. He was jonesing for a mini vanilla cone.

Attachments

• BikerDog1-30.JPG
    BikerDog1-30.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 131
  • BikerDog2-30.JPG
    BikerDog2-30.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 125

PrepH4U

Foxhound said:
Well I spent most of the day with a wire brush, the rim cleaner I had already bought. I then polished the smooth area with a classic cloth. One side is completely done the other will get finished on the next nice day. I had to take the dog for a ride after I finished the first side. He was jonesing for a mini vanilla cone.
Oh my goodness! :killingme

willie

Simple Green works for me but NEVER let it set on bare aluminum more than a few minutes.

Ponytail

Foxhound said:

That's great! :lol: Tell me though, does he REALLY ride with you like that? I have seen it. I have pics of a guy riding with his fullsize Pinsher like that in Daytona.