Alligator

morganj614

I had alligator for dinner tonight. I found it okay but chewy. Anyone else here ever have it and how was your gator?

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
Are you still in FL? And were you only offerred tail? I tried tail... Nothing wrong with a little tail now and again... but, I digress...

It was okay... Nothing to write home about... Oh wait, I think I did write home about it! :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I've never had gator meat, but I have coveted an alligator purse with matching pumps.

Where did you get gator meat around these parts, Morgie?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I had gator for the 1st time @ Fully's (R.I.P.) in Myrtle Beach several years ago. Loved it! They served it spicy with a cream dipping sauce, delish. I think I may go to Thoroughbreds and try the ostrich this year.

morganj614

virgovictoria said:
Are you still in FL? And were you only offerred tail? I tried tail... Nothing wrong with a little tail now and again... but, I digress...

It was okay... Nothing to write home about... Oh wait, I think I did write home about it! :lmao:

I am SO glad you got tail in Florida :huggy: I've been home since Monday night and I had it at the Pub. It was served with a very spicy sauce that was soooo good. I'd do gator again :yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I had some gator tail at a roadsid eating place in MS a few years ago, quite good, had a texture like pork chops.

W

Wenchy

This is one of my favorite restaurants, and the alligator is :drool:

www.cactustaverna.com

Alligator - Tender bite-sized pieces of the tail lightly breaded and served with
raspberry-jalapeno sauce for dipping ...............................................................................

I did get alligator at another local hot spot. It was "marinated" and tasted like "swamp". I took one bite, and no more. :barf:

Lilypad

Compared to other meat, like beef, farmed alligator or crocodile is low in fat, low in calories and high in protein. In particular it is low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat. In addition, alligator or crocodile is a good source of niacin and vitamin B12.

I'll pass thank you-BUT, does it taste like chicken? :confused:

W

Wenchy

Lilypad said:
I'll pass thank you-BUT, does it taste like chicken? :confused:

Except for the "natural swamp gator" that I had, yes, but a chewier texture (which I like) The sauces they give you with gator are better than the honey mustard, etc...at McD's. :lol: