Take 2 of these and call me...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...in the morning.

READ THIS OR YOUR DOCTOR MAY KILL YOU:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_22/b3986001.htm?campaign_id=search

showed that the conventional approach to treating diabetes did little to prevent the heart attacks and strokes that are complications of the disease. In contrast, a simple regimen of aspirin and generic drugs to lower blood pressure and cholesterol sent the rate of such incidents plunging. The payoff: healthier lives and hundreds of millions in savings

Not just diebetes either.

Nevertheless, the data from clinical trials are clear: Except in a minority of patients with severe disease, bypass operations don't prolong life or prevent future heart attacks. Nor does angioplasty

The consequences for the U.S. are disturbing. This nation spends 2 1/2 times as much as any other country per person on health care. Yet middle-aged Americans are in far worse health than their British counterparts, who spend less than half as much and practice less intensive medicine, according to a new study. "The investment in health care in the U.S. is just not paying off,"

this is one small step toward solving the thorniest riddle in medicine -- a dark secret he has spent his career exposing. "The problem is that we don't know what we are doing," he says. Even today, with a high-tech health-care system that costs the nation $2 trillion a year, there is little or no evidence that many widely used treatments and procedures actually work better than various cheaper alternatives.

I read this sitting in a hospita lER yesterday afternoon.

:jameo:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is why I hate doctors and don't trust them. They are just as likely to get sucked into the latest hype as some slackjaw sitting in front of the idiot box.

I'll go get a prescription if I already know what's wrong with me, but other than that no doctor is getting his hands on me because most of them don't know what the hell they're doing - they just use you as a guinea pig while they make guesses.

rack'm

Jaded
vraiblonde said:
This is why I hate doctors and don't trust them. They are just as likely to get sucked into the latest hype as some slackjaw sitting in front of the idiot box.

I'll go get a prescription if I already know what's wrong with me, but other than that no doctor is getting his hands on me because most of them don't know what the hell they're doing - they just use you as a guinea pig while they make guesses.

There's something to be said about their business being called a practice. :ohwell:

Agee

Speaking of two...

Very rarely go to the doctor, but have been having dizzy spells, and vertigo, so I made a trip to the Urgent care. Find out there's excessive fluid in the ear. Additionally, my blood pressure is up.

So the doctor prescribes a drug that helps to reduce dizziness, lightheadedness, and one whose main side effect is dizziness, lightheadedness, and blurred vison :jameo:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Airgasm said:
Very rarely go to the doctor, but have been having dizzy spells, and vertigo, so I made a trip to the Urgent care. Find out there's excessive fluid in the ear. Additionally, my blood pressure is up.

So the doctor prescribes a drug that helps to reduce dizziness, lightheadedness, and one whose main side effect is dizziness, lightheadedness, and blurred vison :jameo:
Why didn't they just drain the fluid in the ear? Your bp was probably up because you were nervous and didn't know what was wrong. They shouldn't give you bp meds for a single high reading - they should track it.

Agee

bresamil said:
Why didn't they just drain the fluid in the ear? Your bp was probably up because you were nervous and didn't know what was wrong. They shouldn't give you bp meds for a single high reading - they should track it.

Can they drain fluid from your ear? Much rather have that done then taking a medication that is essentially Dramamine...

Actually a few months ago it was checked, and high then, and have been experiencing swelling in my legs. The BP medication is a water pill (diuretic). Suppose to take it for about a week with a follow-up BP check.

Airgasm said:
Can they drain fluid from your ear? Much rather have that done then taking a medication that is essentially Dramamine...

Actually a few months ago it was checked, and high then, and have been experiencing swelling in my legs. The BP medication is a water pill (diuretic). Suppose to take it for about a week with a follow-up BP check.
You are nearing 47, huh...:huggy:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Airgasm said:

High bp and swelling in legs.. they checked for congestive heart failure? Or some other circulatory disorder?

Agee

bresamil said:
High bp and swelling in legs.. they checked for congestive heart failure? Or some other circulatory disorder?

Valid points!

This was the Urgent care. I am in the process of finding a doctor, and scheduling a full-up physical.

TY :huggy: