National smoking ban?

Masey

Given the Surgeon General's recent negative report on second hand smoke (article here) do you think we'll see a national smoking ban (i.e., public buildings, restaurants, bars, etc.)?

Pandora

Masey said:
Given the Surgeon General's recent negative report on second hand smoke (article here) do you think we'll see a national smoking ban (i.e., public buildings, restaurants, bars, etc.)?

We are already seeing it.

The one thing the government seems to forget is that they shipped cigarettes to the troops during World War II to help the solders calm their nerves. This is how my grandfather became addicted. They helped create the problem.

BuddyLee

Football addict
vraiblonde said:
There will be no national smoking ban. Bans = less smokers = less tax revenue.
:yeahthat: If something happens at all it will be the local governments who pass it. Take Chicago for instance. They're considering telling all the restaurants in the city that they have to serve healthier foods with no trans fatties.

Coaster

I was living in California when the 'no smoking in bars and restaurants' took effect. The smokers simply stepped out for a smoke. The only bars/restaurants that suffered were the ones located near b/r's that you could smoke in due to them being 'open air' type places, but that was only a 6 month or so thing, nobody went out of business. I hated the ban, but then everything worked out. I support the idea.
Anyway, what should be banned is cigarette filters, I'm tired of those non-biodegradable things lying everywhere, DISPOSE of the PROPERLY!

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
BuddyLee said:
:yeahthat: If something happens at all it will be the local governments who pass it. Take Chicago for instance. They're considering telling all the restaurants in the city that they have to serve healthier foods with no trans fatties.

:yeahthat:
It already happened in Charles County. You are no longer allowed to smoke in restaurants except in La Plata.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vanbells said:
:yeahthat:
It already happened in Charles County. You are no longer allowed to smoke in restaurants except in La Plata.
All public place on military installations are smoke free, including base clubs and barracks.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
They still allow smoking in some of the malls back home. :lmao: The federal government can try a national ban, but some states will overturn it and it'll wind up in front of the Supreme Court as an issue of state rights versus federal.

ohstate

migtig said:
They still allow smoking in some of the malls back home. :lmao: The federal government can try a national ban, but some states will overturn it and it'll wind up in front of the Supreme Court as an issue of state rights versus federal.

Sounds a lot like the national 21 year old drinking age. Some states fought it, but lost. The feds said they would withhold highway funding if states didn't cave. I think the state of Wisconsin fought it, but lost. I can see a similar loss in this case. If the feds tie health care money to the national smoking ban, the states will not likely win this one.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/pubs/wb/95wb3.pdf

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Masey said:

Y'know, lots of people survived to old age just fine before we had surgeon general's reports and hyperactive activists.

I'm a cancer survivor (so far) and a former smoker who was also subjected to constant doses of second-hand smoke as a kid. Tobacco smoke stinks terribly (the longer it's been since I smoked the worse it smells), and few would argue that it's not bad for you, but we're taking things to extremes here.

I've little doubt that the whining pot-stirring spoiled brats of modern America will push hard and eventually win a national smoking ban, but when they do it will be a stupid and sad day in this country's history.

Let me give you a Surgeon General's warning you can take to the bank: The Surgeon General has determined that living is hazardous to your health.

Life is a temporary condition of unpredictable length followed predictably by death, and no amount of legislation will change that. Whining and pushing legislation because somebody else's habit might offend you (and if you're that easily offended you have no grasp on the realities of living) is ridiculous. Might as well ban earthquakes, forest fires, traffic accidents, and steep cliffs.

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Coaster said:
I was living in California when the 'no smoking in bars and restaurants' took effect. The smokers simply stepped out for a smoke. The only bars/restaurants that suffered were the ones located near b/r's that you could smoke in due to them being 'open air' type places, but that was only a 6 month or so thing, nobody went out of business.

I was there as well around the time the ban was put into place in San Diego. Wasn't too big a deal for anyone.

Coaster

Railroad said:
Whining and pushing legislation because somebody else's habit might offend you (and if you're that easily offended you have no grasp on the realities of living) is ridiculous. Might as well ban earthquakes, forest fires, traffic accidents, and steep cliffs.
Well when some else's habit ends up in my lungs, eyes, and stinking up my clothes, yea.... I'm offended. Drink all the alcohol you want.. just don't drive. Chew all the tobacco you want, I could give a rat's a--, just don't spit on me. The list goes on... keep your 'habits' to yourself.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Coaster said:
Well when some else's habit ends up in my lungs, eyes, and stinking up my clothes, yea.... I'm offended. Drink all the alcohol you want.. just don't drive. Chew all the tobacco you want, I could give a rat's a--, just don't spit on me. The list goes on... keep your 'habits' to yourself.
You have legs, move.

Fred Hoeck

This is an example of the post constutional era. In the 30's, when some people wanted to ban alcoholic drinks, it had to be done via an amendment to the Constitution which allowed the Congress to pass a law prohibiting alcohol. It was not done by central government fiat.

I think that ever since the "Equal Rights" amendment was not ratified by the required number of states, the left has shifted its efforts from the constitional amendment process to working through the courts and central government regulations.

As Justice Scalia said, the constutional amendment process was the right way to allow women to vote.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Masey said:
You, the smoker are sucking in and expelling the carcinogen, you have legs move!

You, the crybaby, are violating the smoker's space. You have legs, move.

When it burns your hand to touch a hot burner, stop touching the hot burner instead of screaming for mommy to turn it off.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Masey said:
You, the smoker are sucking in and expelling the carcinogen, you have legs move!
Exactly, I am. If your concerned about your health then you do something about it. You go to the doctor to get check ups, you don't expect him to come to you.