Air Bags ????

Flipside

Don't do it !
On some vehicles you have the choice to turn off the passenger air bag.
My question is if you forgot to turn it back on after unloading the little one and your passenger gets hurt in an accident, are you liable do to negligences?

K

Kain99

Yes you are liable and this exactly why I ride with no one. :love:

K

Kain99

Lilypad said:
are you my twin and webe separated at birth?? :high5:
I've been searching for you my whole life! You realize we were born princesses in a war torn country and shipped far, far away don't ya! :love:

Lilypad

Flipside-

just curious what made you ask the question about airbags?
Speaking of airbags-ever been hit by one "exploding"? :faint: :yikes:

Lilypad

On-off Airbags

Spoke to a DMV buddy of mine who shared some info regarding on-off airbags;

How do I get an on-off switch?

If you are eligible, you must fill out a NHTSA request form. Forms are available at state motor vehicle offices and may be available at automobile dealers and repair shops. You may also get one by calling the NHTSA Hotline or visiting the NHTSA Web site. On the form, you must indicate which air bags you want equipped with an on-off switch, certify that you have read this information brochure, certify that you are, or a user of your vehicle is, a member of a risk group listed above, and identify the group. Then send this form to NHTSA. Upon approval of your request, the agency will send you a letter authorizing an automobile dealer or repair shop to install an on-off switch in your vehicle.

Who should consider installing an on-off switch?

*People who must transport infants riding in rear-facing infant seats in the front passenger seat.

*People who must transport children ages 1 to 12 in the front passenger seat.

*Drivers who cannot change their customary driving position and keep 10 inches between the center of the steering wheel and the center of their breastbone.

*People whose doctors say that, due to their medical condition, the air bag poses a special risk that outweighs the risk of hitting their head, neck or chest in a crash if the air bag is turned off.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I thought trucks were the only vehicles where you had the option of turning your air bag off.:shrug: I know that in my Pilot there is a sensor in the front passenger seat that disables the airbag if there is less than 40 lbs in the seat.

Lilypad

If the manufacturer of your vehicle does not make an air bag ON-OFF switch for your model, check with a dealer or repair shop to see whether an aftermarket company makes a switch. If there is an aftermarket switch for your model, a dealer or repair shop can install it for you. Note that there are Federal requirements governing ON-OFF switches. For example, they must be operated by a key and be equipped with warning lights to indicate when an air bag has been switched off.

kom526 said:
I thought trucks were the only vehicles where you had the option of turning your air bag off.:shrug: I know that in my Pilot there is a sensor in the front passenger seat that disables the airbag if there is less than 40 lbs in the seat.

:yeahthat: My Grand Caravan does the same thing.

bcp

In My Opinion
kom526 said:
I think that it applies to any vehicle that does not have back seat area to stuff the kids. On these type vehicles the option to disable the air bag is usally standard.
I dont think that you can put in a disable switch on a car/truck that is regulated by Federal law to have the air bag in the first place and you might have a hard time finding a shop willing to modify the bag.

now if sidestepping legal guidlines is not an issue to you (as it is not with me) I might think about going to the junk yard and getting a switch out of a wrecked truck along with whatever else that it might look like you need (extension lines etc...) and just install the switch myself.
Dont know about the other manufacturers but I can tell you that the key operated switch on Dodge trucks can be turned with any key .

Agee

The rentals I've been in lately (GM products) have an indicator that displays "Passenger Air Bag is off". Once someone sits in the passenger seat, the airbag is indicated as on. Unsure if this is initiated by fastening the passenger side seat-belt, or an ass sensor in the seat :shrug:

01mds10

it's a 93 gmc jimmy.

my s10 on the other hand does have airbags, it just doesn't get driven as often as the jimmy