blotchy face

abbey

abbey normal
I have a question, a few years ago my face started getting blotchy in the summer time instead of a nice even tan, I tried to use a sunless tanning cream on my face this summer but it still ended up being blotchy, I was wondering if anyone knew any good products to get rid of the dark spots or anyway that I could get an even skin tone again.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
As a preventative, wear a high SPF sunscreen, to prevent any discoloration from the sun. Then, pick a sunless tanner made for faces and put it on your face if you want some color.

abbey

abbey normal
Nickel said:
As a preventative, wear a high SPF sunscreen, to prevent any discoloration from the sun. Then, pick a sunless tanner made for faces and put it on your face if you want some color.

yes I have been wearing SPF on my face for years, and the sunless tanner was for faces, still made the blotches worse, maybe some sorta microdearm abraision will work, then I can start over with an even complexion, and try the sunless tanner.

Joewsesnica

Joewsesnica
abbey said:
I have a question, a few years ago my face started getting blotchy in the summer time instead of a nice even tan, I tried to use a sunless tanning cream on my face this summer but it still ended up being blotchy, I was wondering if anyone knew any good products to get rid of the dark spots or anyway that I could get an even skin tone again.

I don't know of anything that works but, let me warn you!!!!! This happened to a friend of mine and she went to the dermotologist and they decided on chemical peals. Which the dermo said it may work perfect or may make it worse. Well let me tell ya it made it MUCH worse!!!! I guess it just depends on your skin type, but after looking at her and how much make up she has to plaster on her face I would not recommend it to anyone. Just thought I would warn you!!!!!

abbey

abbey normal
Joewsesnica said:
I don't know of anything that works but, let me warn you!!!!! This happened to a friend of mine and she went to the dermotologist and they decided on chemical peals. Which the dermo said it may work perfect or may make it worse. Well let me tell ya it made it MUCH worse!!!! I guess it just depends on your skin type, but after looking at her and how much make up she has to plaster on her face I would not recommend it to anyone. Just thought I would warn you!!!!!
thanks for the warning, I don't want to make it worse, I can hide it with a little foundation right now, someone else suggested some sorta bleaching product to do at home, so I may look into that and see what people have to say

Joewsesnica

Joewsesnica
abbey said:
thanks for the warning, I don't want to make it worse, I can hide it with a little foundation right now, someone else suggested some sorta bleaching product to do at home, so I may look into that and see what people have to say

I personally would try it on a small area of skin first, just to see how your skin takes to it. After seeing what happened to my friend I would be EXTREMELY careful!!!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Okay when you say blotchy skin - I am thinking patches of red spots....do you have skin dryness or any itching?

There are a couple of different "causes" and types of blotchy skin, which means there is a couple different ways to make it better.

The thing is, most women do get blotchy skin tone as they get older. If you don't have any other issues odds are you have Chloasma.

Some treatments for this type of skin discoloration include:

Balancing hormones through herbal therapy and discontinued use of oral or injected contraceptives

Application of broad-spectrum, reflectant-type sunscreen to the entire face such as SolBar, Vanicream and Blue Lizard sunscreens

Using mild facial soap or cleansers, avoiding exfoliating facial scrubs

Using bleaching creams such as the Obagi system

Seeking professional treatments such as chemical peels and prescription creams containing tretinoin and azelaic acid

As with any kind of skin or health care, it’s important to always check with a trained professional before using something that’s new to you. And if you have any other issues accompanying your blotchy skin, you really need professional treatment.

abbey

abbey normal
migtig said:
Okay when you say blotchy skin - I am thinking patches of red spots....do you have skin dryness or any itching?

There are a couple of different "causes" and types of blotchy skin, which means there is a couple different ways to make it better.

The thing is, most women do get blotchy skin tone as they get older. If you don't have any other issues odds are you have Chloasma.

Some treatments for this type of skin discoloration include:

Balancing hormones through herbal therapy and discontinued use of oral or injected contraceptives

Application of broad-spectrum, reflectant-type sunscreen to the entire face such as SolBar, Vanicream and Blue Lizard sunscreens

Using mild facial soap or cleansers, avoiding exfoliating facial scrubs

Using bleaching creams such as the Obagi system

Seeking professional treatments such as chemical peels and prescription creams containing tretinoin and azelaic acid

As with any kind of skin or health care, it’s important to always check with a trained professional before using something that’s new to you. And if you have any other issues accompanying your blotchy skin, you really need professional treatment.
thanks, it could possibly be some hormonal thing, or age, its been happening ever since I entered my 30s, and now that I am in my mid 30s I guess it is just getting a bit more noticable. They are just areas on my face that look tanner than the rest not red or itchy or anything like that. Thanks for the info

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
abbey said:
thanks, it could possibly be some hormonal thing, or age, its been happening ever since I entered my 30s, and now that I am in my mid 30s I guess it is just getting a bit more noticable. They are just areas on my face that look tanner than the rest not red or itchy or anything like that. Thanks for the info
It sounds like Chloasma then. First thing I would check out with be the birth control I was using. Maybe you can switch types or go to a lower hormone dosage.

Do a little side research on Chloasma and you should find some at home treatments. Hope that helps you out.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
cattitude said:
Abbey says she doesn't have red itchy skin, but brownish patches. I doubt it's Rosacea. My half sister has that and boy is she flaky and itchy all the time. Also on a side note, Abbey, if you have an olive or yellow undertone to your skin, you were predisposed to get Chloasma anyway. :ohwell:

abbey

abbey normal
migtig said:
Abbey says she doesn't have red itchy skin, but brownish patches. I doubt it's Rosacea. My half sister has that and boy is she flaky and itchy all the time. Also on a side note, Abbey, if you have an olive or yellow undertone to your skin, you were predisposed to get Chloasma anyway. :ohwell:
I really think it may be the birth control problem, I am trying to remember when I changed my brand, and I believe it was a few years ago, this all might have started then and I just didn't pay enough attention. My mom also suggested my thyroid gland might be an issue since she has an underactive one, and one of the side affects could be dark spotty areas on the skin, but I had my thyroid checked and my test came back fine for that, so I am going to research my hormone levels in my birth control, and maybe see if that has anything to do with it.

Lillypad1281

I would recommend Oil of Olay microdermabrasion kit or the Estee Lauder Microdermabrasion Kit - Also, you may want to use can use twice a day, Oil of Olay Regenerist Targeted Tone Enhancer -diminished appearance of age spots and discolorations.