Strep Throat

Lavendar

Strep Throat Update-Misdiagnosis

My 10 year old has a bad case of strep throat.He was given penicillin(not the shot). He just started the medication today.Does anyone know how long it takes after starting the medicine for his throat to stop hurting? He's tried gurgling and other stuff but nothing seems to be working.Thank you in advance
Update
If anyone is interested. I had to take my son to the doctors again for a follow up and he ended up having something else instead of strep throat. So he took Penicillin for almost 2 days for nothing. He along with his brother have Hand foot mouth disease.I was wondering why he wasnt feeling better. The reason it was a wrong diagnosis is because the strep test was negative but the doctor on Sat night said it was strep. As soon as my son heard he didnt have to take the pencillin any longer he sure was happy. Thanks again for the advice and help.

Last edited:

Pandora

Lavendar said:
My 10 year old has a bad case of strep throat.He was given penicillin(not the shot). He just started the medication today.Does anyone know how long it takes after starting the medicine for his throat to stop hurting? He's tried gurgling and other stuff but nothing seems to be working.Thank you in advance

You can give him some Tylenol for the pain.

Toxick

Splat
Lavendar said:

It should be feeling better by the end of the day - the morning at the latest.

At least it works that fast for me. Meantime you can try motrin or tylonol for the pain. Gargling salt water never worked for me either.

bcp

In My Opinion
By tomorrow at this time it should all be a bad memory.
like they said, give him tylonol (the liquid for kids) and give him lots of popsicles so he gets the fluids down him. (plus they help sooth the throat and while he eating it hes not complaining)

Have gone through this with my daughter more times than I care to remember.

Lilypad

Lavendar said:

Did your doctor tell your son to stay away from others until he has been taking the antibiotic for at least 24 hours. This way, he won't spread the bacteria to anyone else. Strep throat is no fun, but after feeling sick for 2 or 3 days, most kids start feeling better.
In other words, they feel less streppy and more peppy! :cartwheel

T

tikipirate

Good Morning Lavendar!

If your son is still hurting from a sore throat this morning, cook up some bacon, drizzle it with vinegar, and sandwich it in some soft (Wonder) bread. Doesn't taste as bad as it sounds. Not bad at all. One or two of those, plus a metric assload of vitamin C will get rid of the sore throat.

When I was 10, I woke up on Christmas eve morning with a sore throat. My mom pumped vinegar bacon sandwiches down my throat, along with 1000mg of vitamin C every hour. I woke up on Christmas Day bright as a new penny, and rode my new bike all over hell's half acre.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lavendar

Lilypad said:
Did your doctor tell your son to stay away from others until he has been taking the antibiotic for at least 24 hours. This way, he won't spread the bacteria to anyone else. Strep throat is no fun, but after feeling sick for 2 or 3 days, most kids start feeling better.
In other words, they feel less streppy and more peppy! :cartwheel

Yes the doctor told him to stay away from other kids unfortnately he has a younger brother and sister who might have already caught it and I will be very surprised if I dont catch it since Ive been taking care of him.Oh well I guess thats what happens being a parent.

Tikipirate- He still has a sore throat. What an interesting sounding sandwich.

Thanks everyone for the ideas