NASCAR: Press One for English ...

Mikeinsmd

Makes no sense whatsoever. There are plenty of veteran drivers (and good rookies) out there he could have picked up. :confused:

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Oh my! How will he ever be able to make it.
He is going from a 1150 pound, 750hp race car to a 3400 pound 800hp car. No performance comparison. I do not understand where you are coming from with, no NASCAR experience, as he is moving down the ladder.
The guy won Indy in his early days, and used to be a good F1 driver. I am sure he will do just fine.

Last edited:

Mikeinsmd

Michael Delaney said:
Oh my! How will he ever be able to make it.
He is going from a 1150 pound, 750hp race car to a 3400 pound 800hp car. No performance comparison. I do not understand where you are coming from with, no NASCAR experience, as he is moving down the ladder.
The guy won Indy in his early days, and used to be a good F1 driver. I am sure he will do just fine.
Moving down the ladder??? :confused: I think you better do some homework. NASCAR is the fastest growing sport in the WORLD and they actually have to race close enough to touch AND the drivers aren't pansies who have umbrellas held over their heads... :killingme

Shall we do some fan stats of attendance at races and how many watch on any given Sunday?? Hmmmm???? How about 30 million watching nascar? :yahoo:

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
F1, as far as popularity in the world of sports fans, is only second to soccer. NASCAR is a giant only in the US.
What is your reasoning behind calling a F1 driver a pansie? I have never seen an outta shape F1 driver. Uhm, umbrella's because there is no roof over the car.

Last edited:
It takes a major set of gonads to drive F1. When those things wreck, there is just about NOTHING left of them except the driver's cockpit. If I had to choose between being in an accident in an F1 car or Cup car, I'd pick the Cup car any day. I think there is much more skill needed to drive an F1 than a Cup car.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Hold on to your hats folks......

Report: Danica's family eyes NASCAR

JOLIET, Ill. -- Danica Patrick's father is exploring the possibility of the popular Indy Racing League driver moving to NASCAR as soon as next year, the Chicago Tribune reported Monday.

rpm_w_patrick_195.jpg

Barry Taylor/WireImage.com
Danica Patrick's father says she could be leaving IRL for NASCAR as soon as next season.

The Tribune reported that T.J. Patrick, who has managed Danica Patrick's career since childhood, was in exploratory talks with some NASCAR teams at Chicagoland Speedway on Sunday.

"I'm trying to get her here [into NASCAR]," T.J. Patrick told the Tribune.

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
F1 cars are made to fall apart in an accident, taking the brunt of the accident, instead of the driver. The cockpit is reinforced, which is why it is usually all that remains after a major accident.
I wouldn't say either car is better in an accident, as a lot of research is done in almost all forms of auto racing to ensure the best possible safety for the driver.

huntr1 said:
It takes a major set of gonads to drive F1. When those things wreck, there is just about NOTHING left of them except the driver's cockpit. If I had to choose between being in an accident in an F1 car or Cup car, I'd pick the Cup car any day. I think there is much more skill needed to drive an F1 than a Cup car.

smoothmarine187

I heard people talking about this on DC101 yesterday. People were calling in and whining about how the sport is going to go downhill now. I'm pretty disgusted that a great Formula 1 driver is going to go to Nascar. A formula 1 car is about as high performance as you can get. I don't think its going to take him very long to learn how to drive in Nascar.......lol.......although he may get bored out of his mind just making left turns. I may even start watching it now.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
smoothmarine187 said:
I heard people talking about this on DC101 yesterday. People were calling in and whining about how the sport is going to go downhill now. I'm pretty disgusted that a great Formula 1 driver is going to go to Nascar. A formula 1 car is about as high performance as you can get. I don't think its going to take him very long to learn how to drive in Nascar.......lol.......although he may get bored out of his mind just making left turns. I may even start watching it now.

I disagree. NASCAR isn't as 'hillbilly-redneck" as it used to be in terms of its fan base. Take the situation at Martinsville this spring as example -- a tv crew "planted" some middle-eastern looking folks at the track to see if they'd be shunned, and passersby paid them no mind, nor made discriminatory comments. People just go to see good racing, and I think they care less and less if it's a man or woman, and if that person is white, black, hispanic, or purple. :ohwell:

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Mikeinsmd said:
Moving down the ladder??? :confused: I think you better do some homework. NASCAR is the fastest growing sport in the WORLD and they actually have to race close enough to touch AND the drivers aren't pansies who have umbrellas held over their heads... :killingme

Shall we do some fan stats of attendance at races and how many watch on any given Sunday?? Hmmmm???? How about 30 million watching nascar? :yahoo:
Your mistaken, the umbrella is not for the drivers, but for the engines. it's to keep them a few degrees cooler prior to race than just sitting out in the sun. The drivers are usually up walking around.

I have to say, I missed seeing Montoya out racining this sunday. Mercedes-Mclaren replaced him with Pedro de la Rosa. He's good, but not as good.

NASCAR may be the fastest growing auto sport, but F1 is still the show worldwide when it comes to autosports, I think he's moving just for a change in pace. The two sports are night and day different.

Last edited:

Mikeinsmd

Bustem' Down said:
Your mistaken, the umbrella is not for the drivers, but for the engines. it's to keep them a few degrees cooler prior to race than just sitting out in the sun. The drivers are usually up walking around.

I have to say, I missed seeing Montoya out racining this sunday. Mercedes-Mclaren replaced him with Pedro de la Rosa. He's good, but not as good.

NASCAR may be the fastest growing auto sport, but F1 is still the show worldwide when it comes to autosports, I think he's moving just for a change in pace. The two sports are night and day different.
C'mon Bust. :buttkick: :lol: I see the still photo's and on TV some poor sap holding an umbrella over a driver. The Nascar guys don't have anyone holding an umbrella over them. And I don't wanna hear cuz they have a roof.... :bs: Those cars get over 130 degrees inside.

If F1 is so popular, why isn't it broadcast like Nascar? Why are their drivers "moving down" :duh: to Nascar? F1 NEVER had 30 million veiwers let alone every Sunday. :yay:

Hey, I'm ok with IRL. I've said it before, stupid fast speeds and spectacular crashes where the driver isn't likely to walk away but I find it hilarious that the drivers need a goober holding an umbrella over them. :killingme

Last edited:

Michael Delaney

Porsche 917K
Again, F1 is broadcast worldwide. It's television audience is 2 billion a year and it is broadcast in 200 countries. NASCAR's sudience is mainly only in the U.S.

Kinda funny how you are bagging on the F1 drivers and stating that they are pansies. They are pure athletes unlike many of the drivers in NASCAR. I have yet to see an outta shape F1 driver, except for Montoya is getting chunky. Comparing F1 and NASCAR is apples and oranges. F1 is about technology and performance, unlike NASCAR.

Did you read the link? It is a great write up comparing the 2 forms of motorsports and the fans:

http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/28732/

The fact is that F1 does contain the fastest closed course race cars in the world, with many of the fastest drivers in the world. Being a race car driver myself, I understand that a fast car is defined by it's ability to accelerate, corner and brake well, and that a fast car is not fast unless it has a fast driver in the cockpit.