Oil Pump question

D

dems4me

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado and I think it needs a new oil pump. It is displaying the same symptoms as last time (about 2 years ago) before I replaced it but I don't recall how much it cost. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to replace an oil pump or how long it would take?

The oil pressure needle on the guage is bouncing between 20 and 50 depeding on whether I'm idling or coasting... when I hit the gas, it resumes to the normal range of being between 40 and 60. Sitting in traffic it hovers between 10 and 20 but never drops to 0 (or I would cut the engine off so it doesn't lock up), also no obvious noises.

About 6 months ago I took it in to Jiffy Lube for an oil change - any correlation? A friend suggested it could just be a clogged screen and something in the oil pan that is lifting up and that Jiffy Lube is notorious for reusing oil. Any suggestions? If its the pump - how much would that cost with labor? How much time am I looking at for a new oil pump replacement?
Thanks!! :flowers: :flowers: :huggy:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I dunno how much it costs but I do know that if it's going bad you better stop driving it. If that pump craps out you can screw your engine in a nano second.

Take the dang bus.

fddog

Bow wow
dems4me said:
I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado and I think it needs a new oil pump. It is displaying the same symptoms as last time (about 2 years ago) before I replaced it but I don't recall how much it cost. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to replace an oil pump or how long it would take?

The oil pressure needle on the guage is bouncing between 20 and 50 depeding on whether I'm idling or coasting... when I hit the gas, it resumes to the normal range of being between 40 and 60. Sitting in traffic it hovers between 10 and 20 but never drops to 0 (or I would cut the engine off so it doesn't lock up), also no obvious noises.

About 6 months ago I took it in to Jiffy Lube for an oil change - any correlation? A friend suggested it could just be a clogged screen and something in the oil pan that is lifting up and that Jiffy Lube is notorious for reusing oil. Any suggestions? If its the pump - how much would that cost with labor? How much time am I looking at for a new oil pump replacement?
Thanks!! :flowers: :flowers: :huggy:
dems is it 2wd or 4wd
The pump is around $135.00 the labor is 4.6 hours to do it per mitchell alldata

D

dems4me

cattitude said:
I dunno how much it costs but I do know that if it's going bad you better stop driving it. If that pump craps out you can screw your engine in a nano second.

Take the dang bus.

bus is still not an option, on a super good day (super rare), I don't leave here until 6, last bus pick up is 6:05 about a block or two down. If the bus ran LATER it would be a more feasible option and I'd probably enjoy it. And, my hours are nonnegotiable

D

dems4me

fddog said:
ok that is the price.

Thanks! :huggy: So far not too bad, how about labor? What does that generally run for 4.6 hours? Am I looking at a 600.00 bill or a 1200.00 bill? Thanks! :flowers":

fddog

Bow wow
dems4me said:
Thanks! :huggy: So far not too bad, how about labor? What does that generally run for 4.6 hours? Am I looking at a 600.00 bill or a 1200.00 bill? Thanks! :flowers":
shops vary, our rate is $80.00 an hour
or it could be Parts Information

Part OEM Part Price
Oil Pick Up/Strainer
34 - Oil Pick-Up 12563961 $29.15 Notes

Labor Skill
Level Mfg.
Warranty Standard
Oil Pick Up/Strainer
Replace
Pick-Up & Screen
2WD
Manual Trans B 0.0 1.8 Notes
Auto Trans B 0.0 1.8 Notes
4WD
Manual Trans B 0.0 2.7 Notes
Auto Trans B 0.0 2.8

D

dems4me

fddog said:
shops vary, our rate is $80.00 an hour
or it could be Parts Information

Part OEM Part Price
Oil Pick Up/Strainer
34 - Oil Pick-Up 12563961 $29.15 Notes

Labor Skill
Level Mfg.
Warranty Standard
Oil Pick Up/Strainer
Replace
Pick-Up & Screen
2WD
Manual Trans B 0.0 1.8 Notes
Auto Trans B 0.0 1.8 Notes
4WD
Manual Trans B 0.0 2.7 Notes
Auto Trans B 0.0 2.8

Thanks, I guess this is something I need to make arrangements for and schedule an appointment or something with a repair garage, not exactly a drive it in Saturday and get it fixed by Saturday night deal.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
dems4me said:
bus is still not an option, on a super good day (super rare), I don't leave here until 6, last bus pick up is 6:05 about a block or two down. If the bus ran LATER it would be a more feasible option and I'd probably enjoy it. And, my hours are nonnegotiable

Check out the 901 (Waldorf/LaPlata) run.

fddog

Bow wow
dems4me said:
Thanks, I guess this is something I need to make arrangements for and schedule an appointment or something with a repair garage, not exactly a drive it in Saturday and get it fixed by Saturday night deal.
yes you could get it done in one day.

Ponytail

What makes you think it's the $$$ oil pump, and not the $ oil pressure sensor?

For an older truck, your symptoms don't seem like problems to me. Sounds normal. At idle or coasting the pump isn't spinning as fast as it would be if you are driving (higher rpm). The pumps are mechanical. The faster the engine revs, the higher the oil pressure. It's normal.

I think you are wasting your money trying to fix a symptom that isn't a problem.

Last edited:
D

dems4me

cattitude said:
Check out the 901 (Waldorf/LaPlata) run.

Thanks that one is 6:38 - only leaves about an hour for OT, I've been doing more than an hour lately (that's why I said 6:00 was on a good day :lol:) Not to mention, I don't drive by LaPlata or Waldorf enroute, I'm right off of 381 and take that up to Earnshaw (road before you get to the hospital). I mapquested it and it woudl be 32.4 miles out of my way each day (16.4 miles each way (31 min)). Thats an hour added to an already long commute of commuting 4 hours (on average) a day and thats me driving. The bus would be an hour added per day (out of the way) on top of being another half hour each way at least for all the stops enroute from 20th and K to Waldorf... all said, I think it wuold make my commute 6 hours. :dead: - It makes for a long day when you travel for 6 and work 8.5 (not including ANY overtime).

What I need is my truck to be fixed. Have I mentioned I really hate Chevy's? Like a Rock my azz, the only thing Like a Rock about it is it won't budge or move when it breaks you down and leaves you stranded somewhere :mad:

Things are just too busy here right now for this to crap out on me and I need to be able to stay past 6:25 especially given the fact that OT doesn't start until 5:30 for me, what good is being needed to stay late for this project and only staying for 45 min. to an hour? That's crap. It may be easier (although a bit expensive) just to rent a car until the pump is looked at and fixed.

Will drain oil pan tonight and hopefully its just something thats blocking the screen :fingerscrossed:

:huggy:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dems4me

Ponytail said:
What makes you think it's the $$$ oil pump, and not the $ oil pressure sensor?

For an older truck, your symptoms don't seem like problems to me. Sounds normal. At idle or coasting the pump isn't spinning as fast as it would be if you are driving (higher rpm). The pumps are mechanical. The faster the engine revs, the higher the oil pressure. It's normal.

I think you are wasting your money trying to fix a symptom that isn't a problem.

:yahoo: Best news I heard all day!!! I was thinking it was the oil pump because I've already had one replaced a few years ago and it had the exact same symptoms... I just don't remember how much it cost and how much time it put me down for. If its just the sensor, how will I know?

D

dems4me

fddog said:
i was gonna recommend that, the pressure doesn't sound to bad

The needle moves eratically (based on my eratic stop and go driving in the traffic), so the pressure is just as erratic, is this normal?

fddog

Bow wow
dems4me said:
The needle moves eratically (based on my eratic stop and go driving in the traffic), so the pressure is just as erratic, is this normal?
as pt said it is normal to jump or move up and down based on idle or motor rpm's.

D

dems4me

fddog said:
as pt said it is normal to jump or move up and down based on idle or motor rpm's.

:yahoo: Thanks for all the helpful suggestions to everyone that helped! I'll let y'all know how it goes. I'm having a mechanically inclined friend look at it for me tonight if its not too late or dark when I get in :yahoo: