Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No, it causes too many problems

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Maybe, depends on the situation

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

jeneisen

Indy Bound
There is a big secret rumor going around my office about a couple who is dating and no one is supposed to know. I don't know what the big deal is neither of them have any power over anyone but I am curious if you think it should be allowed or if anyone here would do it or is doing it? Does it cause problems?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Married. Can't date others so I guess I can't vote.

But... I think that as long as it is discreet and doesn't disrupt everyone else, then go ahead.

But on the flip side, I have worked in a situationa where co-corkers dated and it was a pain in the a$$ for everyone around.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well I have to say I am torn on the subject a bit. I have seen it work and I have seen it blow up. I think if you are already dating and you end up working at the same place then of course don't end your relationship, but if you have to work with that person day after day and it doesn't work it might cause problems if it ends. Now I don't see a problem dating someone from the same company especially if you don't work directly with them.

J

justhangn

You'd have to be daft to date someone in the office.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
On one hand, where else are you supposed to meet people down there? On the other, who in their right mind would date a co-worker? It's like dating your brother or something.

SmallTown

Football season!
I have known three couples here who met at work. 2 of the couples ended up getting married, the other, well, they both got caught cheating... With other people at work... talk about losers...

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Might not want to set your morning bagel down on the conference table without a napkin under it.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
If I didn't beleive in it ,I wouldn't have the great wife and daughter that I have today. BTW, nobody knew except one other person that we were dating until they got their wedding invitations

watercolor

yeah yeah
I voted no. Cause if the chance came that you broke up...it would make it akward.

BUT...the only thing I think that would make a difference...is...if you were dating and your bf/gf came to work there. But if you broke up it would be the same as the above.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jeneisen
There is a big secret rumor going around my office about a couple who is dating and no one is supposed to know. I don't know what the big deal is neither of them have any power over anyone but I am curious if you think it should be allowed or if anyone here would do it or is doing it? Does it cause problems?
Is this like a lunch date thing, going out for a movie, drinks, or a full-fledged relationship? I see nothing wrong with co-workers socializing, but once it becomes a relationship (and especially depending on the positions held by those involved) it might be inappropriate and therefore worth avoiding.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I started working at NASA/GSFC when I was 17. Men everywhere. I mentioned to one of the guys I was working for that this new guy was cute. My first work advice was: "Don't get your meat where your bread is buttered."

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well as long as you don't share an office or see each other all the time everyday it might not be so bad. Andy and I worked for the same company, twice actually, but we never saw each other. He worked on base and I worked off. No one knew we were dating for about a year.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Originally posted by cariblue
That's cute, but had I followed advice like that, I'd be a spinster like mig.

Seriously, look at the alternatives. guh.
Hey - I resemble that remark!!! But then again ya got a point, I would never date a co-worker. I know too much about everybody's business and I would have an unfair advantage over them. However, I don't see a problem if you work for the same company that is huge and you are in different areas - no work/home life conflict.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I said maybe...
I think it would depend on how closely we work together...
as well as our positions and power within the office.

I imagine if you work closely enough with someone though... eventually there's the possibility that it might develop.

If I wanted to, I might consider asking my boss for reassignment onto separate projects in the future if it was possible without being detrimental to the company.

Ponytail

My rule has always been no interoffice dating. To much of a distraction. Besides...gives you something to look forward to while in work...or not.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I say maybe. Of course it depends on the positions that each hold w/in the company. If you are both normal worker bees, it's one thing. But if one is a manager it can get hairy. I've dated a guy that I still work with to this day - he's our IT guy at the office. I must admit that it was super weird when we first split and we totally avoided each other. My PC was all hosed up and I left it alone because I didn't want to call him for help! But, we got past it all and have ended up to be good friends and are fine at work and don't even give it a 2nd thought anymore. We didn't have a bad break-up or anything, though. Some people knew we were dating, and others didn't.

When I used to work part time at restaurants and stuff you see co-workers date all the time. Different sort of atmosphere I suppose.