Any good vets/doggie dermatologists? I am serious..

Ponytail

My pups got some strange skin problems. Needs frequent vet visits for medication changes. Any good ones for that stuff?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Oh, I guess no one told you. There is NO being serious on this board. It's simply not allowed. Ask Vrai, it's in the forum rules. :biggrin:

Dr. Mark Hocking, St. Leonard Animal Hospital. The best of the best. I use to work for him.

Ponytail

Cool.

I am kinda partial to certain vets. I drive 45 minutes to my current vets office. It's a hug place, MANY doctors, and I have stuck with one. She's been great...really confused about my dog, but a great doc. So driving a little for a good one is not a problem.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by pixiegirl
Dr. Mark Hocking, St. Leonard Animal Hospital. The best of the best. I use to work for him.

My Mother LOVES him also. She used to have an African Grey Parrot and Dr. Hocking was awesome with her!

A

angelphish

I had an emergency with my dog shortly after moving here and didn't have a vet yet. I took my dog to the Solomons Vet. and they seem to know what they are doing.

Ponytail

Cool. My pup is at the vets office on average, once a month. They feel so bad about it, that they write every visit as a "re-check" regardless of what it is to make it cheaper for me.

She gets this funky skin infection going, that takes steroids to clear it up. She is on a maintenance dose of steroids daily, allergy medication, gets a tranquilizer for storms, 4th of July and New Years. And she's on special food...At first it was because they though that maybe she had a food allergy. Now it's because it's the only thing that she will eat. The dog has gone for 3 days without eating for simply not liking other foods. And the special diet food- about double what Iams or other good dog foods costs. Naturally. Females! Ahhhhh!!!! j/k. :biggrin:

The last trip was because one of her back toe nails fell off for no apparent reason. Now, I was told that normally when this happens, the dog will act like it has a broken leg. Not mine. Stoic. Had it not been for the blood, I wouldn't have known anything was wrong. The doc was even picking at the nerve endings with her finger nail while I was there and the dog didn't even flinch.

So, they took her in the back to clean and bandage it. When they were done, they took her off the table and noticed a puddle of blood. Hmmm. Where'd THAT come from? Looked and looked.... same nail, other foot fell off while they were bandaging up her other foot. No idea why, no yeast infections or anything else going on... once again, I stumped the pro's. I'm good at that. :biggrin:

So, they bring this poor resemblence of a dog out, with both back feet bandaged up, and inside IV bags because it was raining out and they didn't want the bandages to get wet. I knew that they were bringing my dog out, because I could hear the laughter gradually getting closer as they paraded her past the other rooms and into mine. Talk about a sorry looking mutt...with each step trying to shake off the bags. And she knew we were laughing at her...the ears were down, the eyes were droopy...so sad loking....just made it that much funnier!

Every trip is an adventure.

Last edited:

Ponytail

Black lab mix... mother was registered golden Retriever, and the father was a sneaky neighbor hood dog.

Out of 9 pups, some looked like goldies, some looked like labs, and some looked like chows.

Next door neighbor had a chow, guy across the street had an English Black Lab, and there seemed to be an increase in strays around for a few weeks.

The Goldy was my roomies dog. The dog came with the house that he bought, and he never owned a dog before. He learned real quick what true determination was when his dog went into heat. :biggrin:

Mine looks like a lab, has one blue eye, one brown eye, has white spot on her chin, and looks slightly overweight at 70 lbs.

Ponytail

Originally posted by Barbra
If you're referring to your Lab losing the toenail, same thing happened w/ mine. Found her licking the bloody nerve ending, which made me wanna' hurl :barf:, but she didn't seem to be in any pain. Called the vet and was told to call back to make an appt if it happened again to the same or any other toenail :rolleyes:, which it hasn't. If you ever find out why your Labbie lost the toenail, let me know.

the doc told me that USUALLY it is is due to a yeast infection in the nail/toe. Or that they caught in on something...carpet, bedspread, blanket...

The yeast infection is sometimes identified by a soft brown crud that develops at the very start of the nail, under the hair line. Looks like dirt, but never seems to dry, if that makes sense.

But with my dog as with everything else, the docs were scratching they're heads.

But they made me bring her in for it. Cleaned, bandaged and maintenance dose of anti-biotics. Seems that they can get some pretty bad infections. What is left when the nail falls off is raw nerve endings and blood vessels. So the infection is carried thoughout the body pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Ponytail

Originally posted by Barbra
Thinkin' about Star's bloody toe is making my stomach do flip flops. Yuck.

Thanks for the tip on yeast infections in their toenails. Now I'm going to go home after work and inspect my dog's feet for brown crud. Of course, w/ the weather we've been having, brown crud on their feet could be a whole lotta' things. :lol:

As far as vets go, I take both of my monsters to Three Notch Vet in Hollywood, MD. Harley usually sees Dr. Lorenz and Star goes to Dr. Ironmonger. They've got a website... http://www.threenotch.com/ . Three Notch does grooming, boarding, and training too.

Dr Ironmonger? Sounds like the name of a "B" horror flick. Does he drag one leg or anything? :biggrin:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Ponytail
Dr Ironmonger? Sounds like the name of a "B" horror flick. Does he drag one leg or anything? :biggrin:

Dr. Ironmonger is a SHE. And nope - no leg dragging from her. :lol:

She is a very good vet. I take dogs and cats to 3 Notch, too. :yay:

quiggles

There's a Veterinary Dermatologist at Southern Maryland Veterinary Referral and Emergency in Waldorf. If you need specialized derm care, she's had advanced training in it.

Ponytail

Originally posted by quiggles
There's a Veterinary Dermatologist at Southern Maryland Veterinary Referral and Emergency in Waldorf. If you need specialized derm care, she's had advanced training in it.

Thanks!! That sounds promising!

camily

Peace
pixiegirl said:
Oh, I guess no one told you. There is NO being serious on this board. It's simply not allowed. Ask Vrai, it's in the forum rules. :biggrin:

Our paths cross once again Pixie.

camily

Peace
Elle said:
Are you a stalker, I mean this thread is more than 3 years old
Yes, that's exactly what I am. :rolleyes: Couldn't have possibly have searched up Dr. Hocking to get some feedback and found this thread.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Cathy Bennett on great mills rd. Park Vet Clinic (part of 3 Notch) She treated my Shih Tzu for skin problems. She suggested OTC meds to control it. Better than paying for vet meds. So far so good.....

Booboo3604

Ponytail said:
My pups got some strange skin problems. Needs frequent vet visits for medication changes. Any good ones for that stuff?

I will check with my mom tonight, she has a vet that she brings one of her dogs too that specializes in skin problems. Let me know if you find somewhere else and I wont worry about it.