Kitten

Pooh31

I got a kitten on Monday night, and I've never had one before. I also have 2 dogs and I was wondering how long should it take for them to get used to each other and also what is the best way to get them used to each other? TIA

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Pooh31 said:
I got a kitten on Monday night, and I've never had one before. I also have 2 dogs and I was wondering how long should it take for them to get used to each other and also what is the best way to get them used to each other? TIA

Leave them be. Probably a few weeks to a month for total trust amongst them.

I went through the same, but with only one dog. Now they play like their both kittens.

meangirl

Nice lady!
unixpirate said:
Leave them be. Probably a few weeks to a month for total trust amongst them.

I went through the same, but with only one dog. Now they play like their both kittens.

:yeahthat: I brought two kittens home and my dog freaked at first. I left them alone and now the cats act like dogs and my (male) dog acts like their mommy. :lol:

cege

Pooh31 said:
we have a 2 yr old beagle and we just got a kitten a month or so ago. At first the dog acted scared of the kitten. Now they sleep together at times. The dog will chase the kitten sometimes but she is just playing. The kitten is smarter and faster and tricks the dog all the time. :lmao:

BrassieChic

Does your new Kitty feel like this?

Attachments

• catgun.jpg
    catgun.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 95

greyhound

My daughter wants a cat, but since my dogs were trained to chase furry little animals it is not a good idea.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
No matter how sweet and gentle you think your dogs are, do NOT leave them alone/unsupervised with the kitten! :nono:

My sweet, adorable, wouldn't-hurt-a-fly, black lab accidentally killed my kitten a few years back. :frown:

BrassieChic

crabcake said:
No matter how sweet and gentle you think your dogs are, do NOT leave them alone/unsupervised with the kitten! :nono:

My sweet, adorable, wouldn't-hurt-a-fly, black lab accidentally killed my kitten a few years back. :frown:

DARN! That's horrible! My cat roams the house freely w/both my dogs and I've never had a problem or situation. How aweful that must have been to find your kitty! YIKES!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
The puppy came home in February, and it took the cat at least 3-4 months to get over him. She was beside herself, but is finally coming around pretty good and accepting of her little puppy brother. So it could take some time, but I'm guessing it will be easier with a kitten.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
BrassieChic said:
DARN! That's horrible! My cat roams the house freely w/both my dogs and I've never had a problem or situation. How aweful that must have been to find your kitty! YIKES!

My cat can lay the smackdown on any dog, any time, any day and knows how to evade ... but kittens ... little itty bitty baby kittens ... :nono: :frown:

BrassieChic

crabcake said:
My cat can lay the smackdown on any dog, any time, any day and knows how to evade ... but kittens ... little itty bitty baby kittens ... :nono: :frown:

I think this is weird...my new rescue dog, a 12lb, 6 y/o Rat Terrier (female) keeps humping my male CAT! It's so unbecoming of her! BAD thing CAT LET'S HER do it! HUH? :confused: