Methodically disorganized
Anyone go there, or planning to go?

I love it up north, especially Vermont.

:peace:

hvp05

greyhound said:
Yep...Going to Maine
Yeah, you did mention that a short while ago on the other thread.

My best friend is taking his family to Maine for over a week, starting next weekend.

Do you have favorite activities or places?

oldman

Lobster Land
My first wife lives in Prospect Harbor Maine and my oldest Son in Machias. My Son, just yesterday, sent me a pic of fresh caught lobsters. Funny because I said I miss eating them and he responded he missed eating our crabs. I'm thinking maybe it's a good time to begin an exchange program, a dozen of his lobster for a dozen of our crabs.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
hvp05 said:
Anyone go there, or planning to go?

I love it up north, especially Vermont.

:peace:
Lived there, kinda grew up there,, and going back next week (20 July).

Meeting my Brother at a bike Rally in Essex Junction, VT, he's coming across form Washington state on his bike.

We'll do the family thing on the way up, stop at my sisiters in Bedford, NH, and my parents up in N Haverhill NH.. Cousin in Burlington.. and whoever else we get a chance to stop in and see.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
oldman said:
My first wife lives in Prospect Harbor Maine and my oldest Son in Machias. My Son, just yesterday, sent me a pic of fresh caught lobsters. Funny because I said I miss eating them and he responded he missed eating our crabs. I'm thinking maybe it's a good time to begin an exchange program, a dozen of his lobster for a dozen of our crabs.
Doesn't sound like a fair trade.. but I'm in if you can pull it off!!

Angel

~*~*~
hvp05 said:
Yeah, you did mention that a short while ago on the other thread.

My best friend is taking his family to Maine for over a week, starting next weekend.

Do you have favorite activities or places?
One week is not long enough to do all the stuff there is to do in Maine:
Whale Watching
Deep Sea Fishing
Tons of shopping in Kittery and Freeport (LL BEAN!!!)
Eatting at Cooks Lobster House on Baileys Island
Hiking or Mountain Biking
Sight seeing in Old Port, Portland, Bar Harbour, Boothbay Harbour, Keenebunk, and Kennebunk Port (tons more)
OH they have to go to Portland Head Light (one of my favorites!!)
Bath and Iron Works has a museum in Bath
Moose Watching
Oh the list could go on forever.....

Here's a handy link: http://mainetoday.com/

oldman

Lobster Land
itsbob said:
Doesn't sound like a fair trade.. but I'm in if you can pull it off!!

It's a fair trade considering I gave him money last year to purchase his own place of residence. Despite JPC's contention, one never quits looking after their offspring. Well, maybe I could send him 2 dozen crabs in trade. First time I visited Maine was in the mid 60's and we'd go to the docks as the boats were coming in and lobster was $1 a pound. I have no idea what they go for today but as he gets them for nothing and I catch my own crabs it would be a fair trade.

hvp05

itsbob said:
Lived there, kinda grew up there,, and going back next week (20 July).
Awesome. :yay:

My VT campsite is in Bridgewater - just about in the middle of the state. I have traveled many places and plan to see the entire state - and region - eventually.

I went to Burlington in 2003 and thought it was wonderful; I just hope they don't lose a good thing, community-wise.

hvp05

Angel said:
One week is not long enough to do all the stuff there is to do in Maine:
Ah... I can be packed within an hour. Who's taking the first driving shift? :lol:

Angel

~*~*~
hvp05 said:
Ah... I can be packed within an hour. Who's taking the first driving shift? :lol:
:lmao: I'm game!

In all seriousness the middle of the night is the best time to hit no traffic. We traveled to ME from MD and back again during many different times of the day or night. During the day it took us 12 hours if we were lucky and during the middle of the night almost 11 hours. We have taken many different routes and they all equal about the same. It's funny that mapquest says 9.5 hours. They need to take traffic into account.

hvp05

Angel said:
They need to take traffic into account.
:lol: The time estimate calculated with 'ideal conditions' is silly the longer the journey. My friend that is going to Maine says typical drive time is around 12 hours. My typical drive time to VT is around 9 hours, and I usually leave at 9a.

Angel

~*~*~
hvp05 said:
:lol: The time estimate calculated with 'ideal conditions' is silly the longer the journey. My friend that is going to Maine says typical drive time is around 12 hours. My typical drive time to VT is around 9 hours, and I usually leave at 9a.
Considering the time it takes to get to ME from MD is probably about the same to VT from MD, I'd say you have a Lead Foot! :smile:

hvp05

Angel said:
Considering the time it takes to get to ME from MD is probably about the same to VT from MD, I'd say you have a Lead Foot! :smile:
Hey, I just... uh, go with the pace everyone else is.

The actual driven distance is 520 miles. 520 / 65 = 8. :shrug:

I don't make many comfort stops - just get gas, do the tolls and go.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
hvp05 said:
We're supposed to be heading to Essex Junction on Thursday, but just got a call from my brother, he's not coming across, so we'll wait and see how it goes.

greyhound

hvp05 said:

Traffic is usually bad a t the George Washington Bridge toll going into New York. Does anyone have a better route? It was a 25 minute delay at 10:00 pm. good grief...Tolls every 10 miles. We must have spent $100 in tolls round trip.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
greyhound said:
Traffic is usually bad a t the George Washington Bridge toll going into New York. Does anyone have a better route? It was a 25 minute delay at 10:00 pm. good grief...Tolls every 10 miles. We must have spent $100 in tolls round trip.
I'm going to try, I think this is right.. going straight up 81 out of Hagerstwown.. then moving across through Schenectady, and the southern tier of VT..

greyhound

itsbob said:
I'm going to try, I think this is right.. going straight up 81 out of Hagerstwown.. then moving across through Schenectady, and the southern tier of VT..

The place I'm going in Maine is right off of 95.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
greyhound said:
The place I'm going in Maine is right off of 95.
The extra miles, going around Philly, NYC and Delaware may be worth it.. and it's a BEAUTIFUL ride across the southern part of VT..