Carp in the Wicomico???

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
I was crabbing in the Wicomico River this morning, and while I was waiting for my bait to soak, I decided to cast a beetle spin along the shore for some perch. It was a 1/4 oz grass shrimp looking bait. Next thing I know my line gets hammered. After a good fifteen minute fight(8 lb test and a zebco 404) I bring this huge brown fish in the boat. I thought it was a shad at first, but the scales told me otherwise. To guess, I'd say he was ten to twelve lbs. Anyone heard of a carp biting a beetle spin? I know it was a carp cause I looked it up when I got home. I had a ball with him and put him back. The sh!t tore up a brand new beetle spin. If anyone else has caught them there, let me know and I will fish with the right stuff next time. BTW , I caught three dozen big fat crabs in about three hours on a six hundred foot line. MMMmmmmmm

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
gumby said:
I was crabbing in the Wicomico River this morning, and while I was waiting for my bait to soak, I decided to cast a beetle spin along the shore for some perch. It was a 1/4 oz grass shrimp looking bait. Next thing I know my line gets hammered. After a good fifteen minute fight(8 lb test and a zebco 404) I bring this huge brown fish in the boat. I thought it was a shad at first, but the scales told me otherwise. To guess, I'd say he was ten to twelve lbs. Anyone heard of a carp biting a beetle spin? I know it was a carp cause I looked it up when I got home. I had a ball with him and put him back. The sh!t tore up a brand new beetle spin. If anyone else has caught them there, let me know and I will fish with the right stuff next time. BTW , I caught three dozen big fat crabs in about three hours on a six hundred foot line. MMMmmmmmm
I'll take a dozen. What time you bringing them over? :howdy:

Mikeinsmd

You should have kept it. Here's a recipe..

Attach fish to a cleaning board
Scale fish
Fillet fish
Remove carcass from board
Place fillets on board
Add salt & pepper to taste
Add Old Bay to taste
Place board in oven at 350 for 15 min.
Remove from oven, discard fillets and eat board

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Mikeinsmd said:

Scale fish
Fillet fish
Place fillets on board
Add Old Bay to taste
:lmao:

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Mikeinsmd said:

Scale fish
Fillet fish
Place fillets on board
Add Old Bay to taste

:lmao:

So Gumby what time should I come by for the crab feast?

oldman

Lobster Land
A lot of people don't think of carp, or catfish for that matter, biting on lures but they certainly do. I grew up with the old tried and true doughballs for them but still have managed to catch them on lures at times.

greyhound

oldman said:
A lot of people don't think of carp, or catfish for that matter, biting on lures but they certainly do. I grew up with the old tried and true doughballs for them but still have managed to catch them on lures at times.

Caught a catfish on a lure last yesterday.

oldman

Lobster Land
Mikeinsmd said:

Scale fish
Fillet fish
Place fillets on board
Add Old Bay to taste

Post of the week in my opinion. I'm sending it to my fishing friends for consideration.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
greyhound said:
You might find this interesting

http://www.chesapeakecarper.com/index.html

Has a page with record carp over the years including the Wicomico River.
Great site.
I grew up on the Patapsco. We used to catch carp on just about anything you could find in the fridge that would stay on the hook.
Sometimes we would snag them accidentally with lures, but never had one actually hit a lure.
Bet that was fun.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
gumby said:
Anytime you someone to cull pm me.:yay: I'm in tha hood ya know.