Hershey Park/Christmastime

Elle

Happy Camper!
Anyone ever been to Hershey Park at Christmastime? Is it worth it to visit then? Are any of the rides open or is it just shows and displays?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
We went once during the winter. The park/rides were closed. The only things to do was take the single ride that's indoors through the process of making chocolate, visit the gift shop and eat a huge slice of chocolate cake.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Could you make a weekend trip out of going there? It's a toss up between Hershey or OC for their weinterfest lights.

Nanny Pam

Elle said:
Could you make a weekend trip out of going there? It's a toss up between Hershey or OC for their weinterfest lights.
Go to OC, Elle. The lights are beautiful at Christmas time. I wouldn't know what to do at Hershey. :shrug:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Nanny Pam said:
Go to OC, Elle. The lights are beautiful at Christmas time. I wouldn't know what to do at Hershey. :shrug:
What is there to do in OC at Christmas time there? I mean I assume all the ammusement parks & go-kart places are closed.

Could I entertain my 2 boys (8 & 30) for a weekend at either place?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Elle said:
What is there to do in OC at Christmas time there? I mean I assume all the ammusement parks & go-kart places are closed.

Could I entertain my 2 boys (8 & 30) for a weekend at either place?
I love being outdoors, even in the summer. So for me to make it a weekend anywhere indoors is hard. Have you been to OC when it's winter? Dead!

Are there area attractions near Hershey? I can't think of much around OC. :ohwell:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Chasey_Lane said:
Are there area attractions near Hershey? I can't think of much around OC. :ohwell:
I've never been to either at that time so that's why I'm asking. I just want to do a little get-away somewhere close that will have a good get you in the holiday sprit kind of feeling to it.

Elle

Happy Camper!
I highly recommend Hershey at Christmas time to anyone. Here’s a mini review if anyone is interested.

Since it rained there on Friday we didn't do Dutch Wonderland (also opens with a Christmas theme and about 45 minutes away from Hershey Park) but the rest of the weekend was nice (cold but nice). Friday we did Chocolate World since it was inside and then that night we went back and did the Sweet Lights. $20 for over 1.5 miles of drive through light display, we didn't think it was ever going to end ~ the lights just kept going and going ~ well worth the money and the trip there to see. Saturday we did Hershey Park ~ $10 per person admission ~ most rides open with the exception of water rides and roller coasters. Although anyone would enjoy visiting I think kids probably 5 - 9 will have the best time (42 - 54 inches would be the ideal height for the rides open at this time although there are some things for the smaller ones I don't think older kids will find much to entertain them). We got there when they opened at noon and were able to ride everything with very little wait lines, around 4 we started to notice a lot more people but we only stayed until 5:30 b/c it was freezing once the sun went down. The park was all decorated with a Christmas theme and once it was dark there were lights everywhere. The kids loved seeing Santa's reindeer, all 9 of them ~ did you know that Santa taught Rudolph how to turn his nose on and off (just a white spot on the middle of his nose) so that the other reindeer wouldn't tease him. Sunday we went back to Chocolate World for a couple more rides on the Chocolate tour and our scheduled Character brunch with Santa ~ great Disney-ish quality to this.

Since it's a 3- 3.5 hour drive and we were planning to make a weekend out of the trip, I found a great deal using a Little League discount at the Comfort Suites in Grantville ~ only a 10 – 15 minute drive to Hershey attractions. Not a 5 star Ritz Carlton but for the price we paid this was a great hotel. All rooms were suites with microwave and mini fridge. Everything appeared clean and the best benefit is that there was an indoor pool and hot tub :yay:.

Shetiger

The Hard Way
Elle said:
I highly recommend Hershey at Christmas time to anyone. Here’s a mini review if anyone is interested.

Since it rained there on Friday we didn't do Dutch Wonderland (also opens with a Christmas theme and about 45 minutes away from Hershey Park) but the rest of the weekend was nice (cold but nice). Friday we did Chocolate World since it was inside and then that night we went back and did the Sweet Lights. $20 for over 1.5 miles of drive through light display, we didn't think it was ever going to end ~ the lights just kept going and going ~ well worth the money and the trip there to see. Saturday we did Hershey Park ~ $10 per person admission ~ most rides open with the exception of water rides and roller coasters. Although anyone would enjoy visiting I think kids probably 5 - 9 will have the best time (42 - 54 inches would be the ideal height for the rides open at this time although there are some things for the smaller ones I don't think older kids will find much to entertain them). We got there when they opened at noon and were able to ride everything with very little wait lines, around 4 we started to notice a lot more people but we only stayed until 5:30 b/c it was freezing once the sun went down. The park was all decorated with a Christmas theme and once it was dark there were lights everywhere. The kids loved seeing Santa's reindeer, all 9 of them ~ did you know that Santa taught Rudolph how to turn his nose on and off (just a white spot on the middle of his nose) so that the other reindeer wouldn't tease him. Sunday we went back to Chocolate World for a couple more rides on the Chocolate tour and our scheduled Character brunch with Santa ~ great Disney-ish quality to this.

When is the last day you can go?

Elle said:

Since it's a 3- 3.5 hour drive and we were planning to make a weekend out of the trip, I found a great deal using a Little League discount at the Comfort Suites in Grantville ~ only a 10 – 15 minute drive to Hershey attractions. Not a 5 star Ritz Carlton but for the price we paid this was a great hotel. All rooms were suites with microwave and mini fridge. Everything appeared clean and the best benefit is that there was an indoor pool and hot tub :yay:.

We had a blast when we went. We camped at Old Mill ( right behind Dutch Wonderland) :yay: It was great!

Dutch Wonderland was awesome! Can't wait to get back there when it warms up.

Hershey Park gets :yay: :yay: ... we went early afternoon and ended up staying almost until closing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Elle said:
That sounds wonderful! See, and Larry made fun of me when I told him I wanted to go to Hershey over the holidays. :mad: