Skiing?

sugarmama

Hubby and I are looking to take a short anniversary trip (preferably skiing, but anything mountain-y would be fine, too) late december. Any suggestions? Within 5 hours would be nice........

JTross

JTross
sugarmama said:
Hubby and I are looking to take a short anniversary trip (preferably skiing, but anything mountain-y would be fine, too) late december. Any suggestions? Within 5 hours would be nice........

I recently just went to Snow Shoe Mountain in West Virginia. First time I had ever been, (I attempted Snow Boarding, not skiing) but it was great and I had a lot of fun. The place we stayed at was right on the mountains and it was absolutely breathtaking. The scenary reminded me of the little Christmas decorations that people put up. The ones with like the little towns and whatnot. It was gorgeous and plan on going back again this year!

:howdy: :howdy: :howdy:

JTross

JTross
sugarmama said:

http://www.snowshoemtn.com/lodging/village-central/rimfire/index.htm

This is where we stayed when we were there. The place had a gas fireplace and a great view overlooking the mountains the little villiage like settings and surroundings. I highly recommend Rimfire. It was so relaxing and actually pretty romantic!

Agee

JTross said:
I recently just went to Snow Shoe Mountain in West Virginia. First time I had ever been, (I attempted Snow Boarding, not skiing) but it was great and I had a lot of fun. The place we stayed at was right on the mountains and it was absolutely breathtaking. The scenary reminded me of the little Christmas decorations that people put up. The ones with like the little towns and whatnot. It was gorgeous and plan on going back again this year!

:howdy: :howdy: :howdy:

Great ski resort :yay:

Give a look into WISP (Deep Creek Lake) as well. Plenty to see and do. Besides the skiing; dog sledding, Sleigh Rides, tubbing, and trip to Swallow Falls is well worth the visit.

JTross

JTross
Airgasm said:

Give a look into WISP (Deep Creek Lake) as well. Plenty to see and do. Besides the skiing; dog sledding, Sleigh Rides, tubbing, and trip to Swallow Falls is well worth the visit.

I have never been to Deep Creek Lake before... I might have to look into that. After the first snow boarding trip, I'm hooked now! Very painful, but a lot of fun and I really enjoyed myself. Started to get a little better on the second or third day we were there. What are some good lodging places at Deep Creek Lake?

sugarmama said:

Snowshoe is fun, although I kinda dislike the place after my board got stolen last time I went there....Seven Springs is good if you want ALOT of other things to do besides ski. Wisp is ok but not alot of other things to do besides ski and snowtube.

The most challenging terrain will be found at Snowshoe followed by Seven Springs, then Wisp.
Your best bet for snow will be Snowshoe, then Seven Springs, then Wisp.
Your best bet for having your stuff stolen if you leave it unlocked for (literally) 30 seconds, is Snowshoe.

JTross said:
I have never been to Deep Creek Lake before... I might have to look into that. After the first snow boarding trip, I'm hooked now! Very painful, but a lot of fun and I really enjoyed myself. Started to get a little better on the second or third day we were there. What are some good lodging places at Deep Creek Lake?

Raley Mtn Realty :yay:

JTross

JTross
thakidistight said:
Snowshoe is fun, although I kinda dislike the place after my board got stolen last time I went there....Seven Springs is good if you want ALOT of other things to do besides ski. Wisp is ok but not alot of other things to do besides ski and snowtube.

The most challenging terrain will be found at Snowshoe followed by Seven Springs, then Wisp.
Your best bet for having your stuff stolen if you leave it unlocked for (literally) 30 seconds, is Snowshoe.

Thats interesting. I didn't experience anything bad while I was there. But in this time a day, what can you expect no matter where you go!? I have heard of Seven Springs before, but not much about Wisp/

Agee

JTross said:

Normally stay in the Mom and Pop roadside hotels. Cheap and clean, close to the resort. There's a couple right on the lake, a couple of miles from WISP, and several south on Rt. 219 in Oakland. Do a search on Deep Creek Lake lodging.

sugarmama

thakidistight said:

REALLY?! :twitch:
I would have thought Seven Springs would have the 'most challenging terrain'. I've never been to Wisp OR snowshoe ,b ut have been to liberty trillions of times, and I think I always assumed they were similar?
But cool! I'll check out Snowshoe... the closer the better, really. I looked at Seven Springs' website, and it would cost us about $1000 to stay there the weekend we want to. YIKES!

JTross

JTross
Airgasm said:
Normally stay in the Mom and Pop roadside hotels. Cheap and clean, close to the resort. There's a couple right on the lake, a couple of miles from WISP, and several south on Rt. 219 in Oakland. Do a search on Deep Creek Lake lodging.

It seems like it would even be a good summer vacation spot too... Relaxing anyways and thats definitely a plus in my book ;-)

JTross

JTross
sugarmama said:
I would have thought Seven Springs would have the 'most challenging terrain'. I've never been to Wisp OR snowshoe ,b ut have been to liberty trillions of times, and I think I always assumed they were similar?
But cool! I'll check out Snowshoe... the closer the better, really. I looked at Seven Springs' website, and it would cost us about $1000 to stay there the weekend we want to. YIKES!

I must say, although it was my first time going to SnowShoe, my boyfriend who has been skiing for about 13 years or so now had never been there before and he did the more challenging slopes double blacks or whatever they were called and he said they were a challenge and he is a great skiier, so they must have been. LOL I kind of kept to the greens, I attempt a blue but that wasn't too pretty HAHA!

unixpirate

Pitty Party
Airgasm said:

Great place. That's the only place I go. Especially tubbing...:lmao:

J/K A....

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Airgasm said:
The last time we were at Deep Creek, we stayed at a B&B that was a former Carmelite Monastery. It was very cool and it has complimentary beer and wine in the billiards room.:yay:

sugarmama

kom526 said:
The last time we were at Deep Creek, we stayed at a B&B that was a former Carmelite Monastery. It was very cool and it has complimentary beer and wine in the billiards room.:yay:

A B&B--that would be sort of romantic for a first anniversay trip. :banana:

JTross

JTross
unixpirate said:
Great place. That's the only place I go. Especially tubbing...:lmao:

J/K A....

I haven't ever gone tubing but my aunt just took her kids tubing at Wisp and she said they had a great time. For some reason tubing on a mountain scares me, I dont know if I could do that because I feel like I wouldnt have any control what-so-ever

sugarmama said:

Oh :nono: Snowshoe is out in West Va. where there are actual mountains as opposed to the hills like Liberty and Roundtop. Showshoe actually gets a lot of natural snow, and the backside of the mountain, (Shays and Cupp) are some pretty gnarly trails. Not like anything out west, but great for Mid Eastern reagion.

Agee

JTross said:
I haven't ever gone tubing but my aunt just took her kids tubing at Wisp and she said they had a great time. For some reason tubing on a mountain scares me, I dont know if I could do that because I feel like I wouldnt have any control what-so-ever

Just do your best Fred Flinstone braking imitation and you'll be fine :yay:

Seriously, between mats, and a big uphill rise at the end of the run, no need to worry about flying into the parking lot!

JTross

JTross
Airgasm said:
Just do your best Fred Flinstone braking imitation and you'll be fine :yay:

Seriously, between mats, and a big uphill rise at the end of the run, no need to worry about flying into the parking lot!

Yeah, I am sure it would be a lot of fun. I was wondering though, once you get down, is there ski lifts or something to bring you back up?