Does your cat "talk" all the time?

We adopted our adult male cat back in January from the Southern Maryland Animal Welfare League. He's absolutely adorable and a joy to be around. We know that a lot of kitties out there like to "chat" with their owners...general meowing, etc. Ours, however, talks all the time. He greets us when we come home and it sounds like he's telling us all about his day. Whenever he comes into a room we're in, he makes several squeaks -- it's almost like he's announcing his presence.

Sometimes, he'll sit and cry if he can't find us in the house. When we call out his name, we'll hear little paws running toward the sound of our voice...then the purring begins! And at feeding time, it sounds like we haven't given him food in days for all the meowing and carrying on he does while we're getting out the can of wet food. We've never met such a needy little cat before! (I always knew cats who were aloof and would come to you on their own terms, never one who consistently wanted to be in the same room -- or better yet, on your lap. ) He's incredibly good company, but we wondered if other people have cats who seem to want to have coversations like ours?

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Both our cats talk and talk and talk and talk and talk. Just like their mommy. :smile: In fact, one of them can say "Mommy."

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
My male cat is a big talker. He greets me when I go outside or come out of the bedroom in the morning. He tells me if his food is low, the litter box needs changing, or it's time for his nightly kitty treats. I love the little "plurping" sounds he makes when he's happy, which is almost always. He loves to lick my toes then rub against my legs right after I get out of the shower so I can towel him off. :lol:

He also attaches himself to me whether I'm inside or outside, then if I move he wraps himself around my legs and makes it almost impossible to walk. His sister is a lot more aloof and more "catlike" but she also loves affection and will be quite vocal when something displeases her. :lmao:

Pandora

My male talks all the time. He will do it in the middle of the night at his toy mouse. :mad: I have to get up and take the mouse from him at night and he cannot see where I put it. If he does, he'll meow at that cabinet.

My female on the other hand hardly meows at all, but I read somewhere that kittens that spent time in the wild are inclined to not meow much.

CrashTest

Pandora said:
My female on the other hand hardly meows at all, but I read somewhere that kittens that spent time in the wild are inclined to not meow much.

This is true. Feral cats don’t meow much. Cat’s meowing is very much the result of their interaction with humans.

My little one meowed a lot when she was younger. In fact, that’s how she became an indoor/outdoor cat. One day I couldn’t take it anymore and tossed her outside. She’s not really noisy now but she’s still gotta be wherever I’m at. That picture to the left was taken while in her favorite spot (laying on my stomach, blocking my view of the TV)

CityGrl

Time for a nap
Mine's actually very quiet, and won't even meow for food! He just sits and stares at me like "Mommy, hello? I don't have food!"

jaie

So happy!
Oz's cat is a talker. She's a feral cat but she will yap if she wants you to rub her or if it's time for food. She meets me at the front door everytime I come in that way. She'll roll over so i can rub her belly.

SamSpade

When I had cats - prior to Bluejay, since she is allergic to cats - I had two, an orange tabby and a Siamese. The orange tabby almost NEVER made a sound, so that when he did, I knew something was seriously wrong.

How I wish that had been true of the Siamese. See, Siamese have the most annoying meow. The tabby? He had a Mike Tyson baby meow. Big cat, little sound. The Siamese weighed about 4 pounds soaking wet, and she was somewhat non-stop.

She was also - surly. As in, when I let her inside, she'd let out a short "meow" as she crossed the threshold, as if to say " `bout TIME!".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Girl kitty and Baby kitty hardly make a sound - they trill rather than meow and they don't even do that very often.

Boy kitty, on the other hand :blahblah: He's either complaining or making happy noises or shrieking at the neighbor cat, but he's almost always making noise of some form. He growl-purrs in his sleep because he can't shut up even then.

Sadysue

My male baby talks to me all the time. I get yelled at if he's out of food. When I go to sleep at night he has to talk to me before he curls up and goes to sleep. Sometimes he will get "lost" and start whining. We have to call him and tell him, "Snuffy we're in here." If we take the dog out and he gets stuck inside, he will stand by the door and cry. He's the only male I have ever owned and the biggest talker too.

Attachments

• snuffy3.jpg
    snuffy3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 107

buddy999

It's Great to be American
Sadysue said:
My male baby talks to me all the time. I get yelled at if he's out of food. When I go to sleep at night he has to talk to me before he curls up and goes to sleep. Sometimes he will get "lost" and start whining. We have to call him and tell him, "Snuffy we're in here." If we take the dog out and he gets stuck inside, he will stand by the door and cry. He's the only male I have ever owned and the biggest talker too.

Our male cat talks to us in many different ways to let us know he wants affection, food etc. One very annoying thing that he does is scratch at the bedroom closet door when he wants food or attention. When he wants to be petted he will head-but my hand until I respond. If that doesn't work, he will nip at my arm until I start petting him.

When he's had enough, he simply gets up and leaves. No thank you or anything. :lmao:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
jaie said:
Oz's cat is a talker. She's a feral cat but she will yap if she wants you to rub her or if it's time for food. She meets me at the front door everytime I come in that way. She'll roll over so i can rub her belly.

She is definitely the talking pussy... Be glad she doesn't have front claws or we would all be shredded when that feral nature kicks in!

D

dems4me

gardengirl said:
We adopted our adult male cat back in January from the Southern Maryland Animal Welfare League. He's absolutely adorable and a joy to be around. We know that a lot of kitties out there like to "chat" with their owners...general meowing, etc. Ours, however, talks all the time. He greets us when we come home and it sounds like he's telling us all about his day. Whenever he comes into a room we're in, he makes several squeaks -- it's almost like he's announcing his presence.

Sometimes, he'll sit and cry if he can't find us in the house. When we call out his name, we'll hear little paws running toward the sound of our voice...then the purring begins! And at feeding time, it sounds like we haven't given him food in days for all the meowing and carrying on he does while we're getting out the can of wet food. We've never met such a needy little cat before! (I always knew cats who were aloof and would come to you on their own terms, never one who consistently wanted to be in the same room -- or better yet, on your lap. ) He's incredibly good company, but we wondered if other people have cats who seem to want to have coversations like ours?

:roflmao: My precious Handsome Sampson does the same thing... he talks to me all the time and I can tell on Mondays he misses his momma because every Monday I come home he follows me around talking to me nonstop - more so than his usual sweet self. I ask him how his day went while giving him his Monday huggies and loving. Poor guy doesn't understand that I'm home 2 days and have long days at work the other five. He gets used to me being around for 2 days and then wakes up Monday and I'm nowhere to be found. Poor thing gets all upset. :frown: He gives me an earful when I get home every Monday.... I ask him what he did today, how was his day, what did the other animals do today, did he play nicely and use poopy box? Aand he just intently looks at me with his toothy grin and tells me all about it... sigh.... I love my baby :love: I'd be COMPLETELY devastated if anything happened to my special baby. He's my man and my little guy. :huggy:

cege

gardengirl said:

I'm glad you asked this question because we have a kitten that does that and I was wondering why. I haven't had another cat do that except when I'm feeding them. Then again this kitten is so sweet he runs to greet me when I get home from work just like a dog.