speeding

fastcrazy

I got a speeding ticket for driving 84mph in a 65mph zone in MD. <sigh>..
I am a VA driver license holder and wanted to know if the points get transferred from MD to VA ???

I have too many speeding tickets on my record and cant afford to get this added.....

HELP ME!!!

should i get a lawyer? will joining driving school in MD help me get out of this..
can i do community service to avoid the points?

any suggestions?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
fastcrazy said:
I am a VA driver license holder and wanted to know if the points get transferred from MD to VA ???

I have too many speeding tickets on my record and cant afford to get this added.....

HELP ME!!!

should i get a lawyer? will joining driving school in MD help me get out of this..

any suggestions?
Last speeding ticket I got in VA (MD liscense), went to court and the judge told me if I took the MVA class in MD, he's drop the charge.

John Z

if you will
A lawyer might help. I don't know if the points will transfer, but it wouldn't surprise me. Traffic school will help; it might be offered up by your lawyer while in court in order to reduce points. My wife had a reckless in VA and she agreed to take a class and pay court costs, and as a result, no points or other penalties.

D

dems4me

fastcrazy said:

HELP ME!!!

any suggestions?

This is NOT me... :lol:

FC, I don't believe that speeding tickets points get transferred from state to state you do have to pay the fine though and if you don't they do reserve the right to revoke your driving privilleges for that particular state (it happened to a friend of mine).
You can contest it by not paying the ticket, show up to court as a court date I believe will be automatically issued then show up and beg for their mercy and have them give you a lesser fine (if its out of state) and perhaps community service. If its in maryland and you are licensed in MD, you would show up to court to reduce points via agreeing to do community service. How many points do you have ? Just wondering.... where'd you get the ticket in MD?

Pete

Repete
Put on your big boy pants and pay. Jackasses like you are what makes my insurance so freaking high.

fastcrazy

I got the ticket in Washington County, MD... as of now i have -8 on my VA license..

Actually my dad was in the car with me , and it was 2am ....we needed to rush home to get his medicine...the cop said call an ambulance if he needs to rush home....but as hes here as a tourist and dosent have insurance we didnt want to call an ambulance...

i feel i have a genuine case ..dunno if the court will agree to this...

D

dems4me

fastcrazy said:
I got the ticket in Washington County, MD... as of now i have -8 on my VA license..

Actually my dad was in the car with me , and it was 2am ....we needed to rush home to get his medicine...the cop said call an ambulance if he needs to rush home....but as hes here as a tourist and dosent have insurance we didnt want to call an ambulance...

There is NO valid excuse to break the laws of Maryland or any state for that matter. If you justified it, to me it would sound as though you are denying the fact that flying at 85 mph down a highway could have killed someone, imagine if your wheel fell off or something. There is NO excuse for breaking the law in their eyes. You on the other hand would come across as saying - OK Judge, I know better than you and felt I could break the law and let me tell you why I could - you just dont' see my POINT your honor... :shrug: I dont' know that it would fly in a court of law (pardon the pun). I'd just pay the fine after confirming that the points are nontransferrable points. :shrug: If it was that dire of an emergency please do consider an ambulance next time rather than flying around at 85 mph. :huggy:

Ponytail

fastcrazy said:

The court will see it as you putting you and your father, and anyone else on the road, in danger by breaking the speed limit to get your father home for medications that you probably should have had with you in the first place.

Contact a lawyer, and let him/her plead the case their way. More than likely, your reason for doing so won't even be mentioned and it will basically be a plea bargain with you doing traffic school, as long as you haven't done it already, paying the fine and court costs as well as legal fees, and the points won't be transferred. The cost of which will far exceed that of a visit by an ambulance. Live and learn though.

As to whether or not they transfer anyway? I don't know that. One way to guarantee that they will though is to pay it after your time limit for doing so is up.

All states are supposed to be transferring points, but I know that that isn't happening with all states yet. I just don't know which ones do/don't.

Good luck. Slow down.

fastcrazy

Can I attend a driver improvement class before apprearing in court ?
Ever heard of that helping in a speeding ticket case....

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
fastcrazy said:
Probably you should call the State's attorney's office. You might be able to do community service.

D

dems4me

fastcrazy said:

It wouldn't hurt, but I'd think you'd want to leave that option open... didnt they mandate you take one when you racked up 8 pts??? I had to take one in MD for only 5 in one ticket. If not, like I said, you may want to keep that option opn ... in case you get another speeding ticket, the judge won't say "what can we do, its not like we can send him to driving improvement class, he's already been" - versus... "I know what may fix him... let me send him to driving improvement class and here's a warning, etc.." just an idea :shrug:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
fastcrazy said:

My brother in law got a MD ticket and the cop told him if he paid the fine it would not go on his VA record. I always do 84 in a 65 and i use a radar dectector. If I happen to get caught atleast its not reckless driving :whistle:

Ponytail

fastcrazy said:

Don't bother. Talk to a lawyer first. If the lawyer suggests it, then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time if I were you for fear of showing an admission to guilt and expecting leniency. NEVER try to fight ANY ticket without representation. Alot of lawyers that do this stuff already have certain things worked out with the judge. If you show up without representation, you open yourself up to steppin on your pee-pee.

fastcrazy

also as i have attended a improvement clinic in VA last year...can i join a driver improvment class in MD

if so do any of you know the url or where these classes are held ....

Thanks for ur suggestions...

D

dems4me

fastcrazy said:

Call your car insurance agent, he can probably better help with these questions, refer attornies if needed, and can tell you whether points transfer from MD to VA, I'm about 99% sure they don't from VA to MD if that helps any. I got a speeding ticket (MINOR) in VA in Feb. and the points have not transferred an I researched it at the time and I beileve I read somewhere on MVAs website or some other reputable one that they dont

D

dems4me

fastcrazy said:
also as i have attended a improvement clinic in VA last year...can i join a driver improvment class in MD

if so do any of you know the url or where these classes are held ....

Thanks for ur suggestions...

Didn't know that you already attended an improvement class - I really think you are plucked. They will see you as a repeat offender and one that can't listen even after going to a class to improve on the subject and not only did you do it again, but with complete abandon and disregard for the law. It was a bad judgement, maybe go before the judge explaining what a poor pooor poor judgement you made at 2am or something? Good luck.

fastcrazy

Ponytail said:
Don't bother. Talk to a lawyer first. If the lawyer suggests it, then go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time if I were you for fear of showing an admission to guilt and expecting leniency. NEVER try to fight ANY ticket without representation. Alot of lawyers that do this stuff already have certain things worked out with the judge. If you show up without representation, you open yourself up to steppin on your pee-pee.

I think you are very correct..im gonna definately try and get a lawyer
That seems to be the safest option...

The DMV in VA says points are transferred ..but i have heard that as it is a 2 point offence in MD and 4 point offence in VA and due to the different system followed points are not transferred...as im not sure and this is hearsay I cant see myself taking this risk ...

Does any of you know some local traffic lawyer in washington cnty MD/ Hagerstown area that you can refer ?