your opinion is needed!!!!

do you buy handmade jewelry from craft shows???

• never

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Have not yet , but I would if I see something I like

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Yes, only pieces under $50

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Yes, I bought pieces over $50

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cdsulhoff

hello all,
How are we doing today? Well, I have a opinion to ask of you all. I decided to start selling my handmade jewelry at craft show. I have to say I am a bit scared to invest the money. Anyhow there is a nice craft show coming up here in September. Now my question to you is have you ever brought handmade jewelry from a crafter and if so what is the average of what you spent on one piece?? Also, What type was the piece made out of i.e beads.

Sorry don't mean to be nosey, but I want to see if it is worth my time.

I've never bought handmade jewelry. But, if I saw something that I really liked, I would probably buy it. However, I wouldn't spend over $50.00 on it.

Good luck!

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
I have bought some handmade things before.......but if it is not real gold or silver, I would not spend more that $50 in it. Good luck!

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I have metal allergies. All my jewelry is 14K or above. Gold plated, coated metals and silver are :nono:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I am extremely selective about my jewelry, and have not, and most likely will never, buy or wear handmade jewelry.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
cdsulhoff said:
hello all,
How are we doing today? Well, I have a opinion to ask of you all. I decided to start selling my handmade jewelry at craft show. I have to say I am a bit scared to invest the money. Anyhow there is a nice craft show coming up here in September. Now my question to you is have you ever brought handmade jewelry from a crafter and if so what is the average of what you spent on one piece?? Also, What type was the piece made out of i.e beads.

Sorry don't mean to be nosey, but I want to see if it is worth my time.
I bead myself - therefore will buy something really out of the ordinary and well thought out - otherwise, I usually understand the angle (and if I really want it, I can make it myself)... But, with that said, I support crafters and the hobbies in general.. A lot of folks do show up, but don't have much talent (like myself - though I don't sell or anything like that) which is why I don't USUALLY buy things at the shows... The ones that DO have enormous talent price for it, and therefore I can't afford it OR do what they do! :lol:

I suggest you go for it, at least once or twice, with an open mind! What you make is still your own creation and no one can take that away from you! And if it isn't profitable monetarily, then it will be in experience... If you do do well, then you can profit doing something you enjoy... :shrug:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I voted for my wife...If she sees a piece that she likes and it is interesting enough she'll get it as long as it is less than $50.00. The Unique Boutique craft show at Hollywood Firehouse is coming in November I think. It is always the same weekend as the Leonard Hall Antique Show. There is a big show in Brandywine in late September.

Last edited:

cdsulhoff

some of my pieces can be change form causal wear to formal wear with just one necklace.. like the first one that I attached.. I also do a lot with Swarovski crystals. I made one very similar to the second one that design was the first design type I learn how to do. Which I find to be simple. I am learning however That using seed beads to make a peyote bracelet is a pain in the donkey butt. I am getting there on having difficult designs but My main thing is that I like to have hard to find components in my pieces...

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
cdsulhoff said:
. I am getting there on having difficult designs ... My main thing is that I like to have hard to find components in my pieces...
I don't necessarily think that difficulty is the answer as much as originality sometimes... When I go to Chico's, I see pieces that I like, then realize that it's just a matter of using more crimping beads or different types of wire or enclosures...

I started out making bookmarks - really fun, funky bookmarks... 18 gauge wire, different beads, coils, charms and so on.. and gave them to friends and use them for myself...

I prefer trying to make fun stuff, but it doesn't always turn out so hot :lol: - but it's theraputic, nonetheless...

Nice stuff! :howdy:

Abby

Abby
I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a piece made of beads unless it was more complex than a singe strand. From what I see, you do nice work. I like the one on the right.

An idea:
For a minimal amount of supplies you can make your own glass beads for focus pieces in your jewelry, and that's special enough to warrant a higher price- plus you can sell them to other artisans for a few dollars a piece. Check out this page for ideas: http://www.ehow.com/how_17718_make-glass-beads.html

http://ehow.com/ is one of my favorite sites for getting inspired.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

cdsulhoff

Abby said:
I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a piece made of beads unless it was more complex than a singe strand. From what I see, you do nice work. I like the one on the right.

An idea:
For a minimal amount of supplies you can make your own glass beads for focus pieces in your jewelry, and that's special enough to warrant a higher price- plus you can sell them to other artisans for a few dollars a piece. Check out this page for ideas: http://www.ehow.com/how_17718_make-glass-beads.html

http://ehow.com/ is one of my favorite sites for getting inspired.
Hope this helps!

That is what I am afraid of. Many see a piece with beads and think it should not cost that much. But on average a nice necklace with semi precious beads and crystals can cost me up to 30 a piece. I only use first grade beads. Like the snowman one that I would have to sell for around $70. I still would not make a huge profit from it.. Those 14mm beads alone are worth are $12 a piece. Dickerson jewelry use to sale them. They sold those single ball for $18 a piece. I use to buy them all the time. Then I went to a trade show and found the company that supply them. I have a resale tax id number so I started an account with them.
Well, I think I am going to give it a shot. I will probably just start off with a small inventory just to see how things works out. Maybe around 20 pieces.

meangirl

Nice lady!
vraiblonde said:
I do not wear jewelry at all - not even a wedding ring.

Same here! I never wear jewelry.

cdsulhoff your jewelry is very nice and I'd probably buy it for a gift if I saw it at a craft show. :yay:

K

Kain99

If it's that expensive... You are in the wrong business... I used to make minimum $5000.00 a product. All told, at the end of the day - everything included probably cost me $20.00 bucks a month. Find something more lucrative. :huggy:

Geek

Kain99 said:
If it's that expensive... You are in the wrong business... I used to make minimum $5000.00 a product. All told, at the end of the day - everything included probably cost me $20.00 bucks a month. Find something more lucrative. :huggy:

What were you doing?

K

Kain99

Geek said:
What were you doing?
Owned a Web Design Company... For 11 years... Which I haven't missed until recently. Contract restrictions end in October! Damn! Stop making me think about it! :killingme

Geek

Kain99 said:
Owned a Web Design Company... For 11 years... Which I haven't missed until recently. Contract restrictions end in October! Damn! Stop making me think about it! :killingme

That is good money :whistle: