Maryland Genealogists

B

Bronwyn

I've been working on my own ancestry for over ten years now, and for the past few years I have been working on my husbands Maryland roots. I'm looking for other experianced local researchers that can give out some good tips on where to find Maryland Info. I am also looking for people who are new, or thinking about tracing their family tree. I can share quite a bit that will help you save time in your first steps!

Looking forward to some feedback!! :huggy: :yahoo:

Otter

Nothing to see here
Bronwyn said:
I've been working on my own ancestry for over ten years now, and for the past few years I have been working on my husbands Maryland roots. I'm looking for other experianced local researchers that can give out some good tips on where to find Maryland Info. I am also looking for people who are new, or thinking about tracing their family tree. I can share quite a bit that will help you save time in your first steps!

Nomoney has messed with it quite a bit, no joke.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Bronwyn said:

You know what I did? I Googled my last name and started reading. After some searching I began to notice my name concetrated in to certain areas more than others. I then contacted the local historical and geneological societies in these areas and to get more info.
The Mormon church had a HUGE library with the largest family records in the world.
The online social security index, marriage records, civil war rolls, and search engines like www.zabasearch.com helped me find people with the same last name....

A week ago, I found someone with my exact name on zabasearch. It listed a phone number and I call them up, finding out that their folks are from the town I was born in and their SO is from the town I grew up in.:yikes:

Proof positive, it's a small world.

Good luck.

B

Bronwyn

Beelzebaby666 said:
You know what I did? I Googled my last name and started reading. After some searching I began to notice my name concetrated in to certain areas more than others. I then contacted the local historical and geneological societies in these areas and to get more info.
The Mormon church had a HUGE library with the largest family records in the world.
The online social security index, marriage records, civil war rolls, and search engines like www.zabasearch.com helped me find people with the same last name....

A week ago, I found someone with my exact name on zabasearch. It listed a phone number and I call them up, finding out that their folks are from the town I was born in and their SO is from the town I grew up in.:yikes:

Proof positive, it's a small world.

Good luck.

The Morman Church has the 1880 Census and family trees submitted by people, the same as Rootweb & Ancestry.com.
I am at the point where I am always looking for the "proof" and the sources, rather than just names. I spend a lot of time looking through the Census 1790 - 1930 as well as obituaries in the newspapers.

I've been researching my family for a few years. But, I haven't been doing it full force. I use a lot of the census records on ancestry.com. I've also joined a great Yahoo group that's dedicated to my surname.

I've found that my family has been in this area (Charles and St. Mary's County) since the 1600's (possibly earlier).

I have walked the local cemetaries with paper, pen, and a camera. I found a LOT of my ancestors that way, believe it or not.

Once you start, it's hard to stop.

B

Bronwyn

Speedy70 said:
I've been researching my family for a few years. But, I haven't been doing it full force. I use a lot of the census records on ancestry.com. I've also joined a great Yahoo group that's dedicated to my surname.

I've found that my family has been in this area (Charles and St. Mary's County) since the 1600's (possibly earlier).

I have walked the local cemetaries with paper, pen, and a camera. I found a LOT of my ancestors that way, believe it or not.

There is an amazing resource available to us that has been a life saver to me. That is my library card. I discovered that the Southern Maryland library has a paid membership to heritagequest.com. They have the Census from 1790 - 1930. If you have a library card you can look at the census for FREE. I don't have a subscription to Ancestry.com, I have been able to find many things they offer that are really free!

Bronwyn said:
There is an amazing resource available to us that has been a life saver to me. That is my library card. I discovered that the Southern Maryland library has a paid membership to heritagequest.com. They have the Census from 1790 - 1930. If you have a library card you can look at the census for FREE. I don't have a subscription to Ancestry.com, I have been able to find many things they offer that are really free!

Can you do that online, or do you have to drive to the library?

greyhound

Speedy70 said:

Are you researching your Dads family? One of our uncles has the complete genealogy for your mom's side.

greyhound said:
Are you researching your Dads family? One of our uncles has the complete genealogy for your mom's side.

Yep, Dad's side. I know about the uncle that has the other side. Funny thing is, I've tried researching that side and can't find anything. I think I read somewhere that years ago there was a fire and destroyed all the old records.

Maybe one day I'll have time to get with Uncle S and get his info.

greyhound

Speedy70 said:
Yep, Dad's side. I know about the uncle that has the other side. Funny thing is, I've tried researching that side and can't find anything. I think I read somewhere that years ago there was a fire and destroyed all the old records.

Maybe one day I'll have time to get with Uncle S and get his info.

The court house in PF burned down and all records were lost.

B

Bronwyn

Speedy70 said:
Can you do that online, or do you have to drive to the library?

You can do it online. If you have a library card I can send you the link to the page where you enter your library card number. They also have books online on this site, military records from the Rev. War, and more. All free to card holders.

fttrsbeerwench

I've been able to trace both sides of my family to the turn of the century. Anything before that seems to be a little shaky to verify.

That library link sounds cool... Can you hook me up?

B

Bronwyn

fttrsbeerwench said:
That library link sounds cool... Can you hook me up?

Go to the Library of Southern Maryland Web Page.
From there you select COSMOS.
The second choice is "Online Databases", select that.
The middle option is "Click here if you are at home, school, office, etc..."
You'll see a menu item called "Genealogy"
That will bring you down the page to the Genealogy resources.
Select "Genealogy - HeritageQuest Online"
Enter in your 14 digit library card # and you're in.

Here is a quick link to the final page:
http://www.sailor.lib.md.us/cgi-bin/hqo

Let me know if you have any problems. :peace:

fttrsbeerwench

Bronwyn said:
Go to the Library of Southern Maryland Web Page.
From there you select COSMOS.
The second choice is "Online Databases", select that.
The middle option is "Click here if you are at home, school, office, etc..."
You'll see a menu item called "Genealogy"
That will bring you down the page to the Genealogy resources.
Select "Genealogy - HeritageQuest Online"
Enter in your 14 digit library card # and you're in.

Here is a quick link to the final page:
http://www.sailor.lib.md.us/cgi-bin/hqo

Let me know if you have any problems. :peace:

I got there on my own but thanks for letting me know... I need to break out the huge scroll I ahve this thing on and start working on it again.

B

Bronwyn

Ancestry Programs

What program are you using for your family tree tree info? Ancestry, family tree maker, or ink and paper? Anyone ever gotten it published? I use Ancestry's free gedcom program, but recently it's been giving me a hard time. I also own Family Tree Maker, but don't really use it. My husbands family tree is now in a 200+ page book that I have been thinking about publishing.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
My sister started to research ours. SHe wound up tracing back my moms side and found someone on down the line wrote a book that went way back

Bronwyn said:
What program are you using for your family tree tree info? Ancestry, family tree maker, or ink and paper? Anyone ever gotten it published? I use Ancestry's free gedcom program, but recently it's been giving me a hard time. I also own Family Tree Maker, but don't really use it. My husbands family tree is now in a 200+ page book that I have been thinking about publishing.

I was using Family Tree Maker, but now I'm on a Mac using Reunion and I have a page online. I have 601 people in my index. :lol:

nomoney

what surnames are you researching if you don't mind me asking? I haven't been able to fully devote myself to this hobby like I was a year or so ago. I look at it every now and then again, but once you put it away for more then a few months it takes most of your time just re-reading everything and refreshing your memory on to who is who and why you starting researching your husbands third unlce's on his mother's side second nepher to begin with :lol:

I do however still have plenty of local people's contact info that were great at helping in getting me going for this area. I could dig those out for you. I also used to belong to ton's of free newsgroups for this area, and those were of great help and got me going in directions that I didn't even no exsisited. I could try to find some old emails and the contacts I had for those as well.

I had tons more-but my hard drive crashed and I lost a lot, all I have is tons of hand written notes that I have to get around to re entering in again one day.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
One of my sisters is quite versed in digging through archives to locate info on our family. She has written and published a book on her findings, which as I recall, has the first person from our direct line to come to the United States arriving here in 1752. My new little bebe is named after him.