eyesore

recently visited the area and bought me a house, I can't believe that out side the base, what looks like old military housing is in such poor shape, I don't know who owns it now, but it looks like a magnet for trouble, once I move, I will have to start writing letters to see why it is as it is. otherwise I liked what I saw and am looking forward to moving..:rolleyes:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
David196042,

I think you are talking about the old "Flat tops". Indeed it was old military housing in days gone by. The last I had heard was that they were looking for funds to convert the whole area into a park. Unsure if that is still a go or not.

DarbyOhara

Musician
Originally posted by Ken King
David196042,

I think you are talking about the old "Flat tops". Indeed it was old military housing in days gone by. The last I had heard was that they were looking for funds to convert the whole area into a park. Unsure if that is still a go or not.

Yeah, I am sure he is talking about the Flatops. And they are nasty lookin... but the people that live there find that that is the only affordable solution to renting in the area. When I moved here at the end of 2000... the owners were working on a deal with NAWC to purchase it... but a year later they announced that deal folded. I never heard anything more on it...

fuzzyng

Well this is what I know, from different local officals, who will stay anonomous...

The "Flat Top" area has been marked as a "No Build" zone, and NO] permits to build, rebuild, improve, etc., in the area can be improved. The local government has the area in a "lock hold" to keep anyone from making the place better. This idea of such polotics, will, in the long run, make the "Flat Tops" an unbearable place to live, and no doubt the St. Mary's "ghetto" area. I had friends who use to live there, and finally moved out because of the living conditions. Houses arn't fumigated, because any businesses to do so, get in major trouble. Also, in the years of hanging out with the friends in the tops, I've only seen one cop car drive through, and he was too unhappy to try and help me out.

Once everyone is run out of the tops, the government plans on building up expensive appartment complexes and charging major ass money to have people live there. Well, thats what i've been told, at least.

James D

If I remember correctly,

about a year ago, the CC tried to have the place bull dozed and the ACLU and gang came running in, and said they could not, because it was 'affordable housing'. Well they won, and the place stands in testimony to them.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Ken King said:
David196042,

ditto
I believe the sale or whatever took place and tennants have been moved out. I think part of "the plan" is to leave a couple of the buildings as part of the history of the area.
As for the allegation that they will build apartments there; I believe there was talk of building some residential units on parts of the but that they really want the area cleared because of the proximity to the flight path - what's the term ACUZ (?)

SoMDGirl42

twobit said:
They really should do something about that place.
Where would all the crack heads go :jameo: Don't you know, they can't pay rent and buy their crack with what they get in food stamps, Section 8 and welfare.

beamher

BernieP said:
ditto
I believe the sale or whatever took place and tennants have been moved out. I think part of "the plan" is to leave a couple of the buildings as part of the history of the area.
As for the allegation that they will build apartments there; I believe there was talk of building some residential units on parts of the but that they really want the area cleared because of the proximity to the flight path - what's the term ACUZ (?)

that's what i heard :shrug: